The new Aris-tocracy: Adu in Greece

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Reignking, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that someone in this thread (or maybe another) said that Greece was ranked 12th in the UEFA rankings. I'm not sure about that.

I do think that the Dutch league is better from top to bottom.

2. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Well its different opinions. Lets hope Aris can go to Ch. League and be more famous for your English friends :D

3. Kalamaria

Kalamaria New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    It's not like it really matters, but downplaying a team isn't the best way to make your argument stronger. I know Greece is not the ideal destination for any football player but it's not the way it used to be a decade before. Anyway no hard feelings.

4. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia

Jozy basically did the same thing versus Fulham. Smalling had to pull him down after Jozy turned on him and had a clear look at the goal from 6yds out.

5. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    why almost certain? He's back in full training with Sochaux. At this point I'd honestly be surprised if he doesn't make the 23.

6. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    with all due respect, Davies hasn't kick at ball since October and will not be for the rest of the season.

Sochaux deemed him not ready to get back into the games, that should tell you alot about Davies readiness to play competitive soccer.

i'd be SHOCKED if he's included on the 23.

7. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Sochaux's president said this and Charlie started training 2 days later. He may not have known what was fully going on.

8. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is just not true.

Sochaux hasn't deemed him ready for games through today. That doesn't mean that he won't get time before the end of the season.

I won't be shocked. Pleasantly surprised maybe. I don't believe that it's so far out of the realm of possibilty as you.

9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    OK. Why haven't there been 200 posts since yesterday in the Eddie Johnson thread?

10. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. I wouldn't be shocked if he made the squad, and I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't.

11. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    yes, training...that's all.

Davies will not play for the rest of the season. and i doubt that the President just talk out of his ***. i am sure he had discussions with the manager/trainer before making such a public statement.

12. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you may be right. but at the same time they could be saying these things publicly to take pressure off of Davies returning too soon. they're making every effort to see that he has the best chance at making the Cup. they'll play him if he passes his physical tests and it gives him a better chance to make our 23. what they won't do is rush the situation and risk a minor injury derailing his chances.

13. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    He said a 20 years old American. If Johnson was 20, there would be.

14. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's a cop out

15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I agree. The U.S. is loaded with attacking midfielders right now but has relatively few choices at strikers. So we ignore the guy who scored 2 goals against Olympiakos in favor of the guy who will get to be no better than 5th on the outside midfielder depth chart before the World Cup?

16. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Why is it a cop out? His post said a 20 yr old american would garner a lot of attention if he did what Adu has done, Johnson isn't 20 yrs old.

17. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    So you guys misread #1FA post and now calling him a cop out? I don't agree with a lot of what #1FA posts but this time he isn't the one that is wrong.

18. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    i really don't know why people are still expecting Davies to be ready for SA.

i mean, it's a MIRACLE that he's still standing today and able to participate in LIGHT team training.

sochaux said he won't be playing for the rest of the season. these are people that train with him everyday and monitor his progress every hour. herhaps they know something about his health/conditions?

did you think he's going to be back to his CONFED CUP form by June 12? REALLY? did you expect a 90% in form Davies? 80%, 70%, 60%?

at this point if Davies make the 23 that SAYS we have a serious issue at the forward position.

19. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its a self fulfilling prophesy at the moment. Where are the 20 yr olds that have that opportunity?

The only player close to that is Jozy. Look at the team he plays for.

20. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do have serious issues at the forward position...

21. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    you might have a point there. but i honestly don't think Davies will be game fit by Jun 12 for the WC.

and i agreed, FULL RECOVERY is his #1 priority.

22. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Eddie Johnson was on the front page of every sports page in Greece and no American posters show him any love, instead 200 posts about a player who did well?

1 person likes this.
  23. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where have you read the characterization that he's participating in LIGHT training? i haven't read that and I dig for articles on him every day. if he's getting tackled during practice, I wouldn't characterize it as LIGHT.

perhaps they do know that he won't be playing. perhaps, like I said, they'd rather remove that expectation from the situation and let it happen if it happens.

who said that he'd be back on his Confed Cup form?

I don't think you've been paying enough attention. We had a serious issue with the forward position prior to his injury. His injury just made it easier to see. We have no depth there at all. Hell, our 3rd and 4th best strikers are midfielders and I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to Jozy and Charlie calling them 1st and 2nd.

24. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just have a hard time counting the kid out. he's come so far and from what I've read he's got the Sochaux training staff doing everything they can to ensure he has the best shot at making the team.

I try to be realistic. I don't think there's any way he'll be a starter.

25. Drippingmilk

Drippingmilk Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Well, if they had let Freddy take his PK he'd have been on there too :)