The Netherlands - Oranje Leeuwinnen & Eredivisie

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by desinho, Jan 11, 2022.

1. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017

I disagree. Brugts trained with the senior squad and got very little game experience. That's fine, but why not play against the world's best U20 teams? Are you suggesting she's too good for that now? She's 18/19: I'm sure the experience would be extremely beneficial. Which is better competition: The U20 WC or the Eredivisie, which I don't think is a particularly good league.

2. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    They do need 32 teams in the champions league, or another 16 teams in a hypothetical women's Europa league

3. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Teams are only required to release players for the senior national team so yes Ajax can flat-out refuse to send anyone. CL qualification from their point of view is much more important (and a good pre-season period with a new head coach) ... and among the players as well club football has always been seen as more important.
    Generally youth players don't play in two tournaments and between the end of the Eredivisie and the start of EURO22 training camp there was barely any time off. So this period is just about the only free time Brugts can take a holiday in I would think ... (and the winter break ofcourse). Next up will be the Iceland game and a friendly against Scotland (league starts September 16th)

JanBalk and L'orange repped this.
  4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The u-20 WWC is not a protected period in the International calendar so teams can refuse tp send the players out. Same for the u-19 Euros, I remember Arsenal refused call up for England for two players on that basis when the FA WSL was a Summer League. The clubs can decide if it is not a FIFA protected date.

L'orange repped this.
  5. New Orange Lionesses head coach
    https://www.ad.nl/nederlands-voetba...op-als-bondscoach-oranje-leeuwinnen~acf9bbf0/
    [​IMG]
    Andries Jonker volgt Mark Parsons op als bondscoach Oranje Leeuwinnen

De KNVB heeft Andries Jonker (59) aangesteld als bondscoach van de Oranjevoetbalsters. Hij volgt daarmee de na het EK ontslagen Mark Parsons op. Voor Jonker, die een contract tekent tot en met het EK van 2025, wacht direct een belangrijke uitdaging met een cruciaal duel in de WK-kwalificatie op 6 september tegen IJsland.

Tim Reedijk 24-08-22, 11:00 Laatste update: 11:28
    Door Tim Reedijk

Andries Jonker succeeds Mark Parsons as national coach orange lionesses

The KNVB has appointed Andries Jonker (59) as national coach of the Dutch national football players. He succeeds Mark Parsons, who was fired after the European Championship. For Jonker, who signs a contract until the Euro 2025, an important challenge immediately awaits with a crucial duel in the World Cup qualification on September 6 against Iceland. Tim Reedijk 24-08-22, 11:00 Last update: 11:28 By Tim Reedijk

If interested in the full article, use google translate

Ethan Frank, Klingo3034 and blissett repped this.
  6. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Any reaction to the new NT hire? He's Dutch and certainly very experienced-- worked with Van Gaal at Barcelona and Bayern Munich men's teams, among others, and was briefly the women's NT coach in 2001. I read he was the top choice of the KNVB after Wiegman left, but he was still with Telstar. What is TelStar--a Dutch men's club? Never heard of it.

Jonger claimed his goal is for the Dutch to be in the FIFA Top Ten rankings and make the quarterfinals of major tournaments--which was a bit of a strange comment given that The Netherlands has been FIFA Top 5 for a few years and was in the quarters of the just-completed Euros. He was right in saying that England, France, Germany and Spain were better than the Dutch at the Euros, so it's time to get better. And Van de Sanden is back in the selection!

7. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #207 desinho, Aug 25, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    Hypocrisy at it's best :laugh:, had Parsons said that everyone would have been talking about and criticizing it. If you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't even have heard of it (but might be more of a talking point when the next games are up).
    Personally I like this appointment, he has seen the best of the best at work and should be interesting enough how he evaluates the talent level (and the possible reality check for some players). Though it's funny he mentions France, etc. surpassing the level of Dutch football when they have been better all this while ... He also coached the U16 girls for some time btw (5 years I'm reading, as assistant coach) and girls on a regional level for a period of 7 years in te 90's ...

L'orange repped this.
  8. https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2022/08/2...lftal-is-sociaal-direct-en-ambitieus-a4139751
    Profiel
    Wat zeggen oud-collega’s over Andries Jonker, de nieuwe bondscoach van het vrouwenelftal?
    Oranjevrouwen Andries Jonker (59) is aangesteld als nieuwe bondscoach van de Oranjevrouwen. Hij moet het vrouwenelftal na een teleurstellend verlopen EK weer op de rit krijgen. „Je zag vroeger al: die heeft het in zich om coach te worden.”
    Danielle Pinedo 24 augustus 2022 Leestijd 5 minuten

What do former colleagues say about Andries Jonker, the new coach of the women's national team? Oranjevrouwen Andries Jonker (59) has been appointed as the new national coach of the Oranjevrouwen. He has to get the women's team back on track after a disappointing European Championship. "You saw in the past: he has what it takes to become a coach." Danielle Pinedo 24 August 2022 Reading time 5 minutes
    If interested in the article, use google translate

L'orange repped this.
  9. How Europe improves the women game:

10. Arsenal is going that route too:

11. kribi

kribi Member

Lyon
    France
    Jan 21, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Playing against junior boys teams is not a new approach to improve.
    Not at all

Many teams did it, even USWNT (at least once i read it) and of course OL for several years. Each year against U16, Lyon 's women keep on losing, well no problem, it is good for fighting spirit. :thumbsup:

12. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #212 Lechus7, Aug 30, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    Japan WNT is training annualy vs. men's U-16 and U-18 teams since Sasaki era back in 2010's

13. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Impossible!

14. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Interesting that Viktoria Pelova turned down PSG to stay at Ajax this season.

16. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Wow: That is rather bizarre. She can't be making the same money at Ajax that she would have been paid by PSG, could she? Certainly she'd be facing more high-level competition with PSG...

17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Can it have anything to do with this recent post from the French Division 1 thread? :cautious:

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Pelova is an attacking MF so maybe it's not the same player. The news report from an Ajax site said she turned down the offer from PSG.

blissett and JanBalk repped this.
  19. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Groenen deserved better from today’s match. Offensive and defensive/pressing excellence and arguably should have had 1.5 assists (0.5 to the steal/tackle on Van de Donk’s first big miss). I did think she maybe should have taken a crack at goal after that nutmeg in the box.

Van Domselaar’s long passing is just exquisite.

L'orange repped this.
  20. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Brugts saves the Dutch with a goal at '93 to put The Netherlands in the World Cup. Didn't see match but appparently the Dutch had a ton of shots on goal but needed an injury-time score to clinch it.

blissett and Ethan Frank repped this.
  21. It actually wasnot a shot at the goal, but an attempt for an assist, but everybody missed it, including the goalie.
    It's a bit ironic that of all the shots, the one not ment as such goes in.:)

L'orange, blissett and Ethan Frank repped this.
  22. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Yup, this match had no business still being tied, let alone close, all the way until the end. The Dutch hit the frame of the goal like four times, and Sigurðardóttir had a great match. There were poor periods of play, but I thought the Dutch actually played well overall. Just unlucky/poor finishing. S. Jonsdottir had a great chance to give Iceland the lead just past the 70th minute, but she fortunately miskicked the ball. Van Domselaar is just so steady/quick with her kicking and throwing distribution, and Groenen had another quality match in my opinion.

Casparij as LB, Egurrola coming on for Spitse at the end, and Van der Gragt as an extra ST were all tactics Parsons executed as well. Every manager has tried out Roord out wide. It's just clear that Parsons wasn't able to properly connect with the squad.

L'orange and blissett repped this.
  23. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    The GOLTV stream malfunctioning at the worst time and for quite a long period of time was incredibly frustrating but now hilarious in hindsight. The commentator was a bit annoying at times but entertaining as well, and I agree with him that Welch had a ridiculously high bar for fouls this match. Just focusing in on Gunnarsdottir, she threw out her hand and connected with Groenen's face (not a foul because a Dutch player fouled an Iceland played right before but still that was poor play), she recklessly took out Groenen's standing leg as she played a pass, and she unnecessarily pushed Brugts off balance into the boards. Gunnarsdottir finished the match without a booking, and Iceland was deemed to have only committed four fouls the whole match.

24. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I missed the first 15 or so minutes of this match, and I have to admit I'm surprised Brynjarsdóttir didn't protest that breakaway in the 7th minute. Welch largely favored Iceland more in this match, but I think Groenen may well have gotten lucky to escape a red there.

25. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    On repeated looks, it seems like Brynjarsdóttir stepped on Groenen's foot. Groenen's tackling motion had stopped, and there was no reckless contact. Further motion of Groenen's leg was in response to Brynjarsdóttir stepping on her in my opinion. If true, would that have been enough to avoid a red if VAR had been used? Regardless, that was not good play by either Janssen (initial pass) or Van der Gragt.