The Netherlands 2020

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by sbahnhof, Feb 1, 2020.

1. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Algarve Cup game 2 [​IMG]

15: [​IMG] Australia v Netherlands
    Monte Gordo (Portugal), 3 Mar 2017

AUS: Williams, Raso, Catley, Polkinghorne, Kennedy, Kellond-Knight (van Egmond 31), Gielnik, Gorry, Foord (De Vanna 70), Kerr (Simon 69), Chidiac. NED: Geurts; Van Lunteren, Van der Gragt (Zeeman 65), Van den Berg, Worm (Van Es 84); Dekker (Spitse 65), Groenen (Folkertsma 84), Van de Donk (R Jansen 68); Van de Sanden, Miedema, Martens

Australia v The Netherlands 1st Half - Algarve Cup
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXIjcN4EMzQ
    [​IMG]

2nd half
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4V3nKsPTog

Highlights
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AhjAtilIhg

Match reports
    KNVB (Archive) / FFA (Archive)

Klingo3034 repped this.
  2. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    That was the year the Aussies beat the USWNT for the first time months later.

sbahnhof repped this.
  3. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Game 3 in the Algarve:

16: [​IMG] Sweden v Netherlands
    Lagos (Portugal), 6 March 2017

SWE: 1 Lindahl, 2 J Andersson, 3 Sembrant, 5 Fischer, 7 Dahlkvist, 8 Schelin (c), 9 Asllani, 14 Folkesson, 15 Samuelsson, 17 Seger, 19 Hammarlund; as sub 10 Hurtig, 11 Blackstenius, 13 Gråhns, 18 Rolfö, 20 Larsson, 23 Rubensson. NED: 1 van Veenendaal, 27 van den Bulk, 29 Worm, 37 van der Most, 12 Middag (c), 18 Groenen, 25 Roord, 13 R Jansen, 21 Beerensteyn, 34 Folkertsma, 17 Zeeman; as sub 4 van den Berg, 15 van Es, 6 Dekker, 10 van de Donk, 9 Miedema, 11 Martens
    The full match:
    Algarve Cup: Sverige - Nederländerna (2017.03.06)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgwoZVxZ1Po, Kickoff @ 11 mins
    [​IMG]

Finalists Sweden at Rio 2016 - (Agência Brasília, cc-by)

Highlights: Zweden - OranjeLeeuwinnen
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKZFEGrM_0s
    [​IMG]

Match report: KNVB (Archive)

Playing at the same time were Australia v China

Ethan Frank and L'orange repped this.
  4. Former Orange captain Liesbeth Migchelsen, and former Orange team mate of coach Wiegman, died at the age of 49.

Ethan Frank, L'orange and sbahnhof repped this.
  5. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    [​IMG]

Sarina Wiegman:
    "We are generations of generations and have played football for years in Orange. She was literally and figuratively our 'rock in the surf': a big, strong and fit woman. After that, the paths still occasionally crossed on and around the fields. Sad that she died so young. I want to wish her family and friends a lot of strength from this place to bear this loss. "

Tributes from Australia too:
    https://thewomensgame.com/news/death-of-a-dutch-pioneer-with-a-lasting-w-league-impact-548657 (Archive)

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/st...nberra-united-mourns-passing-of-former-coach/
    "Lizz was the type of person who in the same sentence could terrify you and enlighten you," said retired midfielder Grace Gill. "But she was ultimately soft, full of love and left a lasting impressing on every life she crossed paths with."

6. Wonder what the ratio for our lionesses is.

L'orange repped this.
  7. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    sbahnhof repped this.
  8. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    That may be the most flattering 3-0 lead I've seen. The first goal should have been saved, the second goal was largely luck and could have been saved in my opinion, and the third goal came from a free kick that I think was pretty questionable since Raso was fouling in equal measure. The lines official also bailed Australia out with a questionable offside call on van de Sanden in the 8th minute.

Australia created much better in the second half, but they failed to score due to finishing issues and a good save from Geurts. Like in the first half, Martens failed to score on a quality chance for someone of her ability in the second half, and Spitse came off the bench to make a big impact. Glad the Netherlands scored a couple of goals since a 3-2 final scoreline was definitely a better representation of the match than a 3-0 scoreline would have been in my opinion.

sbahnhof repped this.
  9. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    #109 sbahnhof, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Lovin these match analyses, Ethan! There's not as much of the next game but we have 30 minutes, thanks to someone called @Lechus7 (a Youtuber has stolen your username, I believe, you may want to get the authorities involved)

17: [​IMG] Japan v Netherlands
    Faro (Portugal), 8 Mar 2017

JPN: 12 Yamashita; 3 Sameshima, 4 Kumagai (c), 15 Takagi, 18 Nakamura, 5 Kawamura; 7 Nakajima, 10 Sakaguchi, 17 Hasegawa; 16 Tanaka, 20 Yokoyama; as sub 19 Sasaki, 6 Utsugi, 14 Nakasato, 22 Momiki, 13 Masuya. NED: 23 Geurts; 2 v Lunteren, 3 v der Gragt, 4 v den Berg, 15 v Es; 6 Dekker, 8 Spitse, 10 v de Donk; 7 v de Sanden, 9 Miedema, 11 Martens; as sub 18 Groenen, 27 v den Bulk, 12 Middag, 21 Beerensteyn, 1 v Veenendaal

Nadeshiko Japan vs. Netherlands - highlights 8.03
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNmvYyo1BEM
    [​IMG]

KNVB highlights: Youtube
    Match reports: JFA (Archive) /
    "Oranje Women 5th in Algarve Cup" (Archive)

This and the final, won by Spain, were played at the castle-like Estádio Algarve. Now it has no tenant, but then it was the home of the mighty Algarve FC ... er, Algarve Rovers? ... no, the mighty Gibraltar men's team, because of confusion. (Gibraltar women's are still yet to enter a Uefa event.)

Ethan Frank repped this.
  10. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    For all their attractive play, I don't think Japan really created that much when it came to clear cut chances apart from Yokoyama's missed sitter. However, they did create a number of half chances that they didn't take well apart from Yokoyama's goal. The Dutch struggled at times with Japan's crossing as van den Bulk had a mishit clearance for her own goal, and van der Gragt very nearly scored an own goal in the first half as well.

The second Dutch goal was great and involved quality play from each of the front 3. Good skill and perseverance from Miedema on the winning goal, but Japan was a bit unlucky to lose the match in that fashion. I thought the second yellow given to van den Berg was quite harsh; there may have been some contact, but it looked largely like simulation to me.

sbahnhof repped this.
  11. Mandy van den Berg moves from Valencia to PSV.
    Is PSV trying to build a really strong team?

12. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    It'd be great if they could do it - the women's Eredivisie has a lot of potential to build up with bigger clubs. Maybe even tempt more of the star players back from abroad, or keep them in the league in the first place...

NEXT
    18: Netherlands v France [​IMG]
    Utrecht, 7 April 2017

NED: 1 v Veenendaal, 2 v Lunteren, 6 Dekker, 7 v de Sanden, 9 Miedema (c), 10 v de Donk, 11 Martens, 12 Middag, 15 v Es, 17 Zeeman, 18 Groenen; as sub 8 Spitse, 13 R Jansen, 21 Beerensteyn. FRA: 16 Bouhaddi, 3 Renard (c), 6 Henry, 7 Majri, 8 Houara, 9 Le Sommer, 10 Abily, 12 Thomis, 17 Thiney, 19 Mbock Bathy, 22 Karchaoui; as sub 4 Georges, 11 Lavogez, 15 Bussaglia, 18 Delie, 20 Diani

Netherlands - France (07/04/2017)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYcOQulKqjk
    [​IMG]

The same week in Gelderland province, the Dutch U19s beat Portugal 5-0 and went goalless with France to qualify both teams to the Uefa finals:

After this, both countries reached the last 4 – Netherlands lost 3-2 to Spain in the semis, and then Spain beat France 3-2 late in the final.

Ethan Frank repped this.
  13. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Thought both teams struggled with their final passes/shots. France got lucky with Dekker's unforced own goal, and then, Le Sommer provided either a lucky moment or a moment of brilliance. Martens' goal was quality. The Dutch formation with van de Donk on the left and Martens in the middle was interesting. Van de Donk couldn't match Martens' dribbling and creative impact from out wide, but I liked the idea of Martens central and thought it worked out to an extent.

sbahnhof repped this.
  14. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Not much video from today's game - I'll post the next in full tomorrow.

19: Netherlands v Iceland [​IMG]
    Doetinchem, 11 Apr 2017

Highlights OranjeLeeuwinnen - IJsland (11/4/2017)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVLD1JiPBXA
    [​IMG]

Match report by KNVB (Archive), "Miedema shows Oranje Women the way past Iceland", plus Jackie Groenen's reaction and more scenes at the match.

That was the last international game during the 2016/17 club season - the Dutch champions and cup-winners were Ajax, with Desiree van Lunteren on the scoresheet twice in their semifinal win, and once in the final.

KNVB Cup final, Ajax 2 - 0 PSV (2/6/2017)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGZorTVvFXs
    [​IMG]

Announced on 23 May, Vivianne Miedema left Bayern Munich and signed for Arsenal - the Gunners had been undefeated in the English Spring Series with Van de Donk and Van Veenendaal, but finished 3rd, a point behind Chelsea. Also at this time, Lieke Martens was setting up a move from Rosengård to Barcelona, while Lineth Beerensteyn, who finished 2nd with Twente, left for Bayern. Shanice van de Sanden (still at Liverpool) would leave for Lyon a few months later.

15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Here is the teamsheet from the game, it is the place of the infamous off the record quote in the mixed zone from the France coach about certain players being a bit big headed and unfocused.

Le Sommer said in an interview that she did try to score but it was a bit lucky that it went in.

Attached Files:

Ethan Frank and sbahnhof repped this.
  16. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    20: Netherlands v Japan [​IMG]
    Breda, 9 June 2017

NED: 23 Geurts (GK), 2 van Lunteren, 4 van den Berg (C), 6 Dekker, 7 van de Sanden, 8 Spitse, 9 Miedema, 10 van de Donk, 11 Martens, 15 van Es, 18 Groenen; as sub 13 Renate Jansen, 20 Dominique Janssen (Bloodworth), 25 Jill Roord, 34 Sisca Folkertsma, 37 Liza van der Most. JPN: 18 Sakiko Ikeda (GK), 3 Aya Sameshima, 4 Saki Kumagai (C), 7 Emi Nakajima, 10 Mizuho Sakaguchi, 11 Mina Tanaka, 12 Hikaru Naomoto, 13 Yuika Sugasawa, 15 Yuka Momiki, 20 Ayumi Oya, 23 Nana Ichise; as sub 2 Hikari Takagi, 6 Rumi Utsugi, 9 Kumi Yokoyama, 14 Yu Nakasato, 17 Yui Hasegawa

Full TV coverage, starting with clips of the March game

Netherlands - Japan (09/06/2017)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwOVu-LA1PY
    [​IMG]

Highlights
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCV8YH9eI0I
    Match report
    OnsOranje.nl (Archive) / JFA.jp (Archive)

L'orange repped this.
  17. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Another well-worked goal for the Dutch to go along with a set piece goal and two scrappy/lucky goals. Middag was a consistent presence in these games/highlights up to Iceland. Terrible luck with ACL injuries.

18. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Penultimate pre-Euros friendly:

21: Netherlands v Austria
    [​IMG]
    Deventer, 13 June 2017

Austria were a surprise team the next month - European semi-finalists, mainly on their defensive strength in 5 games, conceding 1 goal. Striker Nina Burger scored 2 as Austria won their group, and dispatched a toothless Spain side on penalties in the quarters. In the semis, Sarah Puntigam missed an early spot-kick in a 0-0 v Denmark, who won 3-0 in the shootout, but no metal pole was brandished in anger. Austria returned home to a heroes' welcome.

So, who knows what went wrong here...

Netherlands - Austria (13/06/2017)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=J57JuLpNRZA
    [​IMG]

Highlights
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA2VqJZf5jc
    Match reports:
    OnsOranje (Archive) / Austria OFB (Archive)

In a return game of sorts four months later, the NL team won 2-0 away.

[​IMG]
    Austria v Netherlands in October 2017 - (Granada, cc-by-sa)

L'orange repped this.
  19. Stefanie van der Gragt (27) returns to Ajax.

20. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    When healthy and fit she's a very good player--big and strong and imposing, defensively, and an excellent header. She had a very good World Cup. Unfortunately, she has had difficulty staying healthy. She seemed to have one injury after another during her time with Barcelona--including at least one major knee injury. She carries a lot of weight on her 5/10' frame--I just saw her weight listed as 163--and I'd bet that has contributed to some of her leg and knee issues, I don't know how many starts she had for Barcelona but I don't think it was many as she was on the shelf a lot. Wishing her good health going forward!

sbahnhof repped this.
  21. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Maybe it was Austria stepping up for the big occasion, but I think a similar result would have happened at the Euros if Austria and the Netherlands had met up again. When the Dutch are in the mood (as they were throughout Euro 2017 apart from the second half of the Denmark group phase match), they can tear teams apart quickly, which is what happened in this match.

sbahnhof repped this.
  22. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Has anyone ever seen a replay of The Netherlands v. England semi at Euro17? I'd love to watch it but have never spotted the game online.

23. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
  24. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Many thanks for the England game, Ethan! I should have asked sooner. I've been wanting to watch a replay for two years--kept thinking it would one day appear on You Tube but don't think it ever has.

This was obviously one of THE big wins for the Dutch NT in the last three years. Great team effort. The Dutch made it difficult for a good England team all match. Gave up a few chances/half chances but were strong defensively throughout in what was a very tough, competitive game. I thought the centerbacks played really well--completely dominated the air in our defensive third and in our box. Van der Gragt, in particular, was in beast mode. They each had one mistake that could have been costly--Van der Gragt tried to clear a ball in the box and ended up kicking off the legs of Ellen White, but Van Veenendaal was alert and grabbed the ball that could have gone in our net. Then Deeker got beat to a long ball by Taylor, who got off a decent shot but Van Veenendaal was there for the save. Groenen was strong, and Van de Sanden as good; she didn't contribute to any goals but she was very active, saw a lot of the ball and kept the English defense busy for most of the game. Van Lunteren and Van Es were solid. Van de Donk did her thing and provided the cushion when she bounced on the miscue by Williams.

England definitely missed Scott in this game, who was hurt, I believe, and I'm not sure why Parris didn't play, but they would have made England even stronger. Sampson played Ellen White on the wing--good player but she's a center forward and not a winger. I thought for sure Spitse fouled Bronze in the box in the 2nd half but then the replay showed that in slipping between Van Es and other Dutch player in the box, Bronze actually flopped before Spitse clattered into her.

I've pretty much gone through all replays the I've wanted to see now. It's time for some live matches!

blissett and Ethan Frank repped this.
  25. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Indeed as she showed at the World Cup in France. Groenen got the better of her on a number of occasions, and White may not have faced up against Groenen that often if she had played at center forward.

Yeah, it looked like an obvious penalty live, but the replay clearly showed a dive from Bronze. Great call, but I also thought Bronze should have seen a yellow. The dive really was ridiculous; it looks like she easily would have won the penalty if she had just stayed up.

Those two were big issues for England's defense throughout the match. This match is a prime example for me of the issue with focusing so much on pass completion rate. If you did that, you'd think Groenen didn't have a good match. Apart from not being great on a couple of occasions when the ball was in the air, I thought Groenen was very good, and her match remains one of my favorite box to box performances. Despite the stick she gets nowadays, van de Sanden really did have a great Euro 2017, and she stood out more vs England than Martens did. (Martens was still good though; the pass out to Groenen for Miedema's goal was very good.)

blissett repped this.