The Netherlands 2020

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by sbahnhof, Feb 1, 2020.

1. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    [​IMG]

Last year ... World Cup finalists, and so the Dutch WNT will enter their first Olympics.

THIS YEAR

Past threads - 2017, 2018, 2019

Mills and L'orange repped this.
  2. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Happy to see that the oft-injured Stef Van der Gragt is playing again for Barcelona. She's played in the team's last two games, at least, starting one and playing 59 minutes and then coming in as a sub in the most recent match. I think the coach is wisely not pushing her too hard. She had knee surgery--which I think is at least her second knee operation--though I haven't read what the exact nature of the injury was. Let's hope she can get fit, stay healthy and play as well in the Olympics as she did in the World Cup.

That's the good news. The bad news is that while Van der Gragt is back from a knee injury, it was just reported that Van der Most has just suffered a knee injury and is out the remainder of the season. I assume it was an ACL but haven't heard exact nature of her injury. This further complicates the NT's already worrisome outside back situation as I think Van der Most may have been set to step into Van Lunteren's position following the NT veteran's (untimely) retirement from international play. (Van Lunteren is still playing for Ajax, however.)

Van der Most's injury further weakens the Dutch outside back situation. Right now, I think the only two fullbacks with NT/international experience are Van Dongen and Van Es--the former playing in place of the latter at the World Cup. Van Dongen was not bad at the WC but she's not a player who's going to help you beat top opponents, I'm afraid. Meanwhile, Van Es is struggling to get on the field for Everton. She's not been a starter recently and not sure what's going on with her.

I have to think Wiegman will be looking at some new and younger fullback candidates at the upcoming training camp. Let's hope so as the Dutch certainly need to find some players with potential for that demanding position. I fear the outside-back situation is going to weaken the team for a while.

sbahnhof repped this.
  3. sbahnhof repped this.
  4. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    #4 L'orange, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Here is the squad for the Tournament of France, just released. It looks like Van Es, newcomer Lynn Wilms and maybe too Nouwen, who's been invited to the last couple of camps, I think, will get a chance to impress at the right-back spot vacated--sadly--by Van Lunteren. I thought Wiegman might invite a few more younger players--I think the Dutch have a good group---but I doubt we see too much new competition for spots until after Euro21 at the earliest. Centerback and outside back (in particular) will be the positions where youngsters have their best chance to grab some minutes.

I hate to be harsh, but we're not going to beat the United States with Van Es and Van Dongen at outside back, that's for sure. I just watched the WC semifinal against Sweden again--first time since the actual match--and Van Lunteren was a beast in that game. She absolutely bossed the right flank. She will be missed.

https://www.onsoranje.nl/nieuws/ned...van-der-gragt-en-martens-bij-oranjeleeuwinnen

sbahnhof repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think the Dutch will have to take the bump in the upcoming French tourney & as usual, save their best for summer when they get enough practice in to play as aa more cohesive unit.
    While Wiegman does bring in a few more from the Dutch league, the rest are spread around all over Europe. She could of tried more locals; FC Twente had a recent tie vs the monster squad, Wolfsburg(and they are currently only in 3rd place in the league). Instead the regulars have been a mixed bag; Bloodsworth sits on the bench over at Wolfsburg, same with our GK over at Athletico Madrid. Van se Sanden got only 195 minutes of playing time to her credit so far this season at. Lyon. Wiegman could use the build in chemistry of 3 Arsenal starters, but instead of Roord, she prefers our goal less wonder out of Man U(wouldn’t mention her name as she’s sooo beloved by our few BS posters). Martens, though had a great game last time around vs Athletico(the replay link is saved over at the Spanish League threat).

facing them will be the French, who usually start 6/7 Lyon players(do they know all ready each other inside out). Brazil, who been on a winning streak lately in part to Pia(Euro coaching at its finest)but also introducing some hot, new upcoming players,
    and Canada, who got at least one tourney under their belt last month thanks to Concacaf qualifiers. Their a bit at a disadvantage cuz it seems like they got to wheel chair Sinclair unto the field these days, but maybe they’ve wised up......

6. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Wol
    Is Bloodsworth on bench because they have top players already for starters or she sucks? Similar to Lyon where too many top players and not enough playing time.

7. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    #7 L'orange, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    Bloodsworth is a dependable starter for the Dutch NT at centerback and was snatched away from Arsenal, so she is in fact quite a good player. She played outside back and some midfield for Arsenal, and I believe was playing outside back for the Dutch until being switched to centerback a couple of years ago.

Just checked on recent playing time: In Wolfsburg's last game she was a 71' minute sub. In the game before that she did not play at all. In the three previous games--coming up to and including December 2019--she was a starter in all of them, and I think was subbed out late in all of them. All were seemingly comfortable wins and shutouts as well, whereas the last two games ( in which she didn't play much) Wolfsburg gave up goals. I'm not suggesting that there is a correlation between Bloodsworth being out and the team giving up goals--it may not have mean anything. Wolfsburg thumps everybody in the league--almost always wins easily scoring 3, 4, 5 goals--so it would be crazy for the coach not to rotate his squad. I have no idea how Bloodsworth has played, but given the team's dominance I have to think she's been fine. I saw part of one Wolfsburg match, maybe 2 months ago, and they had the ball pretty much all the time. She is a key player for the Oranje.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  8. Use google translate
    NOS Teletekst 804
    OETBAL 1/2
     v.d.Gragt,Martens weer bij Oranje
    

 Verdedigster Stefanie van der Gragt
    en aanvalster Lieke Martens zijn weer
    terug in de selectie van het Nederlands
    elftal.Bondscoach Sarina Wiegman heeft
    24 vrouwen opgeroepen voor het Tournoi
    de France (4-10 maart).

De verloren WK-finale in juli tegen de
    VS was Martens' laatste duel.Sindsdien
    kampte ze met een teenblessure.Van der
    Gragt stond vanwege een knieblessure de
    laatste zes maanden aan de kant.

Aan het toernooi in Frankrijk,dat wordt
    georganiseerd ter ere van vijftig jaar
    vrouwenvoetbal in Frankrijk,doen naast
    Nederland (FIFA-3) en het gastland (4)
    Canada (8) en Brazilië (9) mee.

9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It might be both; Ive watched a part of Wolfsburg’s last 4 games(their usually on their YouTube channel)Bloodsworth didn’t start in any of them.
    Who started; Sarah Doursoon, who’s a very scrappy, but just about average in just about everything(though she does usual start for GE NT).
    Lena Goessling, a retired NT, but a previous midfielder that over stretches her play to all around the field & been known to make poor judgements on defense. Perhaps what is at work here is the stench of the German God, Jorgie Low, who’s philosophy always been to make CB’s into attackers while leaving a skeleton crew on defense

btw......anybody know why the mvp at goalkeeping(van Vernendaal) idly sits on the bench at Athletico Madrid these days? I mean if she’s got an injury then than why did she get picked for NT play)

10. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Oh my... teletext! :alien:
    Yes...a tasty food for my nostalgia :laugh:

It's gonna be intresting to see how does the Oranje backline fares these days.

sbahnhof repped this.
  11. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Why do you keep making such comments about Groenen that serve little purpose but to initiate an argument? You may complain about her getting too much love/praise, but your takes have largely been just as bad, if not worse, on the other side. I kept my mouth shut about Roord’s giveaways in preseason directly leading to three goals vs Barca and Wolfsburg up to now, but you’ve succeeded in getting that out of me. It’s not like Roord’s scored much in her NT cameos and starts either, but whatever. The funny thing is I would personally move towards trying out Roord and Groenen in the same midfield with Spitse on the bench. Go ahead and keep making such remarks though; they’re really great.

12. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Apologies; I reacted too strongly.

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I didn't mention a name, but you decided to, so sice we're on the same page; I found this link with complete stats and looking at Groenen;
    Manchester United Stats | FBref.com
    besides her zero goals & 1 assist for the whole season, she comes out very average across the board, and thats plating the popular CAM position. Only on the 'successfull dribbling' category does she place 3rd place among her team mates. Yet that was the main critique on the all-white-kits website(who called her a "turn over machine"). At least the MU coach likes her; giving her 6th most playing time on the squad, but with over 1000 minutes credit time, you kinda expect more.

will have to look up Jill Roord's stats, she does play on a slightly better team(ARS is 3rd in the league vs MU at currently 4th) but at least she's got 2 goals to her credit, and that's from being more of an utility player, having to plug up the whole/play just about every position everytime someone gets injured. I remember one game where she dominated the midfield with strong tackling & beating everyone on headers

just don't get how the Dutch are supposed to compete when other than a few exceptions(Martens & Miedema) stats over even playing time(ala van de Sanden) are currently so low for the majority of the squad. and then of all things, Wiegmann don't want to use nearly enough players from the Dutch league or go back to what won them the Euros; 4-3-3/in essence, by pass the midfiled with long passes upfront(though maybe she still does, I just still dont get it why she didn't do it at the WC final? or as they say if it ain't broke, don't fix it)

14. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I didn't like Wiegman changing the formation--which the Dutch NEVER do, men or women--for the WC final and going to a full-on bunker. It was a desperate decision, it seems to me, and the Dutch should never be desperately defensive. That said, one could say that the move worked--to an extent, as they kept the U.S. from scoring for, what, 60-some minutes, and even then it was on a somewhat iffy penalty-kick call. Problem was, they couldn't play their normal game--and in the end, every team has to play the way they are accustomed to playing. Maybe the U.S. would have won 3 or 4 - 1 if the Dutch had played normally, who knows. Maybe they'll be a rematch in the Olympics!

As for Groenen....we're always talking about Groenen!....to me she's never been an effective attacking midfielder. She's certainly not been that for the Dutch--but then she hasn't had to be; the NT has a lot of good attacking players and so she's been able to play to her strength, which is challenging the ball and being a box to box defender, essentially. That is her strength. ManU does not have a lot of attacking talent, and so, yea, I'm sure a bit more goal-scoring/assisting has been expected from her by some fans. A lot of male and female transfers do not work out because players who excel in one system--in one role, one position, for one coach, with one group of teammates--find it difficult to do the same on another team when /everything/ is different.

You asked about Van Veenendaal: I haven't seen her with Atletico, so I don't know what's up. She played a lot early in the year, but maybe she had some bad moments and has been benched. She is not the most graceful keeper, that is for sure. She does not impress anyone with her athleticism. I thought she was very solid for Arsenal but I believe Montemurro decided not to extend her contract as he had his eye on Zinsberger, who is a good keeper. There are a LOT of good keepers in the world, for sure. I have seen a lot of Dtuch NT games, and I can't remember Van Veenendaal ever having a bad game--or even letting in a bad goal. There have probably been a couple--but she almost always plays well for the Dutch.

As for Roord: It is funny that she, an AM, has been playing DM lately for Arsenal while Groenen, DM, has played AM for ManU. She is a player with some size, athleticism and talent--but not sure she's found the best club situation yet. She probably should have played more for BM, which struggled to score goals, and then she signs with Arsenal, which already had a lot of attacking talent. I hope that playing DM has broadened her game some so that she can become a good all-around player. She's got the potential--but the right role is everything in soccer.

15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Roord get a lot of game time, she has the fifth game time in the whole squad. She has actually played in every game where she was available. She was suspended for one game otherwise she was involved in every game. Quite funny, she is rarely played at AM as van De Donk or Nobbs get the place there.

16. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    That’s purely semantics. Of course, you pretty much said a name; who else is Dutch on the United squad? She has the most key passes on the team, the second highest xA overall (Sigsworth’s only higher than her overall because of a mistouch to Toone last game), and the third highest xA/90 min. Plus, she’s contributed to high xA/xG and goals for her teammates with quality secondary passes or defensive actions. I’m well aware of FBRef; I’ve brought up these stats on the WSL thread. You might call the CAM position popular, but that’s not Groenen’s best position. Stoney’s also used her in a sort of utility fashion by playing her out of position almost the whole season; Groenen was finally played in a box to box role vs Everton last weekend. We’ll just agree to disagree here again.

17. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    #18 Ethan Frank, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Fair enough on Groenen, but I still think she’s done decently at CAM for United. She’s been a poor finisher, but I don’t know how xA and KP have been glossed over. Groenen’s been top three in those for United all season. Plus, she’s the United player who’s produced the most high quality line breaking passes throughout the season (i.e. eye test and she comfortably has the most throughballs for United according to FBref, seems to have a strict definition).

Edit: Plus, Groenen’s forced a lot of off the mark passes/clearances this season due to her constant pressure. I think that may be a big reason why Stoney’s been so adamant in playing Groenen higher up the pitch. She was like a secondary striker for a lot of the away league Brighton match. I hope this past Everton match is a sign of Stoney looking at things a bit differently. Ökvist at left back, Groenen at CM, and Toone at CAM. That was working pretty well up until Earps’ error(s) in goal.

Belgium in the Euros and arguably Cameroon in the WWC for bad goals conceded. However, van Veenandaal has been great as a whole for the Dutch.

18. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017

Roord has played a lot--more than I expected--but a lot of her PT has come as a result of injuries, I think. First, Nobbs got light minutes early in the season as she was trying to get fit after her recovery from knee surgery--and Roord was playing her attacking mid spot. Now, with Walti being out for the last month, and Little too, Roord has been playing defensive midfield, which is a bit odd given that I've never thought her to be a strong defensive player. She has grown into the role a bit, it seems--but she back-passes to much, IMO. Arsenal should be counter-attacking more. I don't give them much chance against Chelsea--their nemesis--on Saturday given the Gunner's continuing injury woes. Just a rash of injuries the last two years.

19. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    comments from Norway coach re: Netherlands upcoming friendly (from NFF web site):
    Following the European Championship qualifier against the Faroe Islands on Åråsen on June 5, the football girls travel to the Netherlands to play against the World Cup finalist.

- We always want to meet the best opponents, so getting tested against the Netherlands is very nice and important. They won the European Championships in 2017 and became second in the World Cup last year, so that is one of the very best we can meet. It is a team we know well and have met several times in recent years, most recently when we beat them in the World Cup qualifiers. We are looking forward to a new fight against them, says national team manager Martin Sjögren.

So the last time the teams met was in the final match of the World Cup qualification in 2018, when Norway won 2-1 at the Intiliy Arena and secured the World Cup.

The match will be played on June 9 at 7.30pm in Doetinchem.

L'orange repped this.
  20. https://www.ad.nl/nederlands-voetba...aal-was-mijn-afwezigheid-heel-zwaar~ab777323/
    Lieke Martens is terug bij Oranje: ‘Mentaal was mijn afwezigheid heel zwaar’

Tournoi de FranceHet ging tijdens het WK enorm vaak over de teen van Lieke Martens. Nu is de buitenspeler terug bij Oranje. Morgen beginnen de Leeuwinnen aan een oefentoernooi in Frankrijk, als voorbereiding op de Olympische Spelen in Tokio. Brazilië is de eerste tegenstander.

Daniël Dwarswaard 03-03-20, 16:22 Laatste update: 16:41

21. https://www.ad.nl/nederlands-voetbal/pelova-haakt-met-knieklachten-af-bij-leeuwinnen~ac1bde6e/
    [​IMG]
    Victoria Pelova. © BSR Agency
    Pelova haakt met knieklachten af bij Leeuwinnen

Voetbalinternational Victoria Pelova heeft het trainingskamp van het Nederlands vrouwenteam in het Franse Lens verlaten. De middenveldster van Ajax laat haar knie nader onderzoeken. Vanwege lichte klachten moest zij dinsdag de ochtendtraining aan zich voorbij laten gaan, meldt de KNVB.

Sportredactie 03-03-20, 18:26

22. Wiegmans says about the France tournement it's nice to win it, but the main concept will be to experiment.
    https://www.ad.nl/nederlands-voetba...maar-ik-wil-vooral-gaan-uitproberen~a6d592b6/
    [​IMG]
    Sarina Wiegman vandaag op de training bij Oranje. © BSR Agency
    Wiegman over Tournoi de France: ‘Winnen is leuk, maar ik wil vooral gaan uitproberen’

Oranje LeeuwinnenSarina Wiegman, de bondscoach van de voetbalsters, gaat het aankomende Tournoi de France vooral aangrijpen om te experimenteren. Winst is de komende dagen van ondergeschikt belang voor Oranje.

Sportredactie 03-03-20, 17:26 Laatste update: 17:38

23. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Too bad about Pelova--I wanted to see her play in this tournament. She is a promising midfielder, for sure. It's still possible she could play in the 2nd or 3rd games--but with some sort of knee issue she probably won't.