The Need for In-Game Video Review

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by Nico Limmat, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    After the first few matches it's becoming more and more apparent that something like this is needed.

Goal-line technology is expensive and only useful in rare situations.

So how do you keep the game relatively fluent? Restrict the usage. In each match the coach should have two or three video challenges that may be used at his discretion the way it is done in Tennis.

Sepp Blatter mentioned something similar at the FIFA Congree last week:
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/11/sepp-blatter-video-challenge-managers-fifa

Thoughts?

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  2. Chris Ko

Chris Ko New Member

Jun 14, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    .As is seen in many of these posts it is obvious that the feeling is wide spread. So FIFA better wake up. Or are they so secure in their monopoly that they could care less. Anyway, for this viewer the cup is over. If this is an example of the garbage we can expect from the world cup then I am gone and gone for good. The first game was a disgrace and then the second and then the third and luckily the Australian game was relatively OK but still weak in quality and refereeing. SO what can we do?
    Well there is only a couple of options:
    1, STOP watching and stop buying any sponsors gear. The only way to hurt the FIFA thugs is to kick them where it hurts. In the hip pocket.
    2. Write as many articles about our displeasure from a;; over the world. The Beautiful game has turned seriously ugly and i suspect quite corrupted. They could not afford to have Brazil lose the first game and how fair is that to Croatia?
    3. No referee from third world countries ie Asia, Africa, middle East or anywhere else that does not have refs that work in the major footballing centres. They are just not up to the pressure. Basta.
    4. Either FIFA starts using video replay for all sorts of infractions or I never watch major games again. I mean it. This is just disgusting. A third ref needs to be in a video booth and has the final say.
    5. For games in the major leagues, world and european cups etc there are 2 refs on the field and the sideline refs have to agree with the 2 before a penalty is given. The coaches have red flags like in the NFL and can challenge calls lets say 4 per half.
    If all the refs agree then any player that deliberately flops is yellow carded and red carded for a second offence. Enough already of this bad acting.
    7. Any player deemed to be faking injury is yellow carded and if he repeats the offense then he is out. If you compare other men sports like Rugby Union or Australian Football, where real men get seriously hit mopre often than in any soccer game you do not see this unmanly vcry baby BHS It is a really bad example to kids and totally pathetic. So the Beautiful Game needs to be changed and really soon.
    Do it FIFA or lose a lot of viewers. The NBA basketball is a great entertainment and makes soccer look downright stupi and boring. You have been warned FIFA. Get a grip.

3. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    For flopping I say institute the "Blue Card". 5 minutes in a box like a hockey penalty. You get to watch your team play a man down for five minutes and a second Blue Card =Red Card where the normal Red Card laws apply. That will end the BS really fast.

4. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I think the easy change that would not affect the flow of the game would be a replay on "goals". For example, if nobody knows offsides has been called until they are picking the ball out of the net, review it. Thus Mexico gets their two goals yesterday. Also if it looks legit, review it quickly and Henri's handball goal against Ireland gets called back. The ball is already dead in these instances, so why the hell not?

5. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 themightymagyar, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    I'm honestly not a big fan of in game review. Have you ever watched American leagues? It takes at least 3 minutes to determine the simplest calls. If you think it will only take 30 seconds in a soccer game, think again. Now if you want to have an official constantly checking replays on controversial calls. Then call a retroactive foul or card during a game a couple minutes later, that could be done while play is still going on.

I'm not sure what you're going to do on offsides though. The call happens all the time, cameras aren't always in the proper angle to get the call. You can't really go back on those, and apart from diving/faking/fouling, that's the part that needs the most review in a game.

6. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the worst referreeing errors of the past couple World Cups came from European and South American refs. Or did you forget the 2010 final, and the Portugal/Netherlands game in 2006?
    This I agree with. They could cut half the junk out of the game if they just started enforcing the rules a bit more strictly. A couple months of strict cards in some of the big leagues or in the World Cup, and players would start to adjust.

7. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    The one problem with this is what happens when there is a blue car issued to a guy who didn't flop? There will always be human error.

8. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    While I do believe we need ultimately some form of video review I also feel that people are nit fully thinking this through. TV pictures are subjective, camera positions are determined by entertainment value and are set up subjectively by private TV stations and not based on any rules of football.
    Consider a few points here
    1. The number of cameras used varies match by match. in top leagues some matches have 30 cameras, others have 15. obviously 30 cameras generally see more
    2. There's a player camera on Wayne Rooney in every match he plays, yet there is no cam on Jimmy McGee from Sunderland in any match
    3. TV stations might be biased and help support a particular team with their choice of camera and broadcast. Silvio Berlusconi , the president of AC Milan owns TV networks in Italy for example
    4. Oftentimes replays don't show conclusivly whether an offside position occurred or whether a foul was committed while in most other situations they answer this perfectly due to perfect camera placement. This makes sthings unequal.

A perfect example is the 2006 WC final and Zidane's headbutt. Did you ever wonder why German TV even captured the scene so perfectly considering the incident happened off the ball? Simple - German TV decided to have a player camera on Zidane. However there was no player camera on , say, Trezeguet. so if that same headbutt had been committed by David Trezeguet then we would never have seen it

9. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree.. and why the ++++ FIFA don't want to at least even give it a try... in a youth tournament or something like that? Tbh I don't really think the investment of goal line technology is really worth it if it's that expensive... it's only going to be useful so rarely, and can't they just use photos / video replays to determine that?

10. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    You want to stop flopping? Simple, post game review. Why is it so damn hard on the field for the ref? You need to draw a line between a dive and someone who got tripped, but just didn't try to stay up.

People say they want it stopped, but one way is to actually call the fouls that do NOT result in a player down. It's a foul to "trip or attempt to trip" (Law 12 FIFA Laws of the Game), so a player that gets his foot hit, but doesn't go down or even jumps the attempted trip, there's still a foul. Problem is you call that foul and all hell breaks loose.

How often do you hear commentators, coaches, players "that's not a foul" etc.

Many leagues have started post game review for violent incidents and doing retro-active red cards, GREAT! Add in flops and you're on the right path.

themightymagyar repped this.
  11. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't there just be a video official in the booth, who can be in communication with the referee via that headset that he wears? Problem solved

12. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    My personal feel is that is how it will end up. No coaches challenge etc. The fifth official will become the review person, can't be approached, but will look at things.

The issue is the game flow. Review isn't instant, heck might not even be quick, so what do you do between the incident, the review and the changed call, what about a non-call that leads to a red card tackle, but then the non-call turns into a call, so in theory the red card tackle never happened?

there's much more to this than the ability, there's the impact on the game. NFL football is already more non play than play and review drags it even slower. Soccer simply doesn't have natural stoppages. If you can only review on stoppage, then is that fair to only review calls, not-non-calls?

There's details, but the review is coming sooner or later in some way

13. andy1860munich

andy1860munich New Member

Jun 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    fifa is ruining this great sport. New technology should start with the referees. The referee job is not to interpret, he should be merely an object. he should be a "robot" who manages the video footage, and there should be video watching referees that over rule all his decisions in real time who are not in the pitch. This world cup has drawn attention to the "Septic bladder" fifa. this corrupt political machine should be utterly reformed, otherwise this sport has no meaning. I am a huge germany fan and i was disgusted at the beahaviour of the referee in the match which killed the spirit of portugal. It seems the major teams are having a huge helping hand in this tournament, because certain politics need it so that certain teams appear at certain heights of the competition. political bull...

14. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it does, for injuries and substitutions. This will have to be another. But it shouldn't take that long. It can even be seamless if the video review person is doing their job.

15. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Yes it has those, but they are few and far between. Even stoppages for things like fouls, ball out of play etc, are not "stoppages" where you can check things, the game is designed for quick restarts. It flows unlike any other game, that needs to be maintained or any type of review will be a bad thing. I think review will work, eventually, but it has to be controlled so that it doesn't stop the flow of the game and create a fundamental change that is an undesired side effect

16. Carson484

Carson484 New Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    all penalties need to be reviewed off site like the NHL does it

17. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Likewise there will be games (most games, in fact) where there is no need for video review at all...

18. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    The problem with in-game video review is crowd reaction and control....specifically what happens when a call is overturned against the home team. For example, can you imagine how the crowd would have erupted if Nishimura's penalty award had been overturned upon review?

Now imagine the same situation in situations where there is a lot less security and far more violent fans.

You might be able to pull video review off in international tournaments where a significant portion of the fans in the stands are neutrals, but you could never pull it off in a domestic league where every match is played in front of a highly partisan crowd. Unless you want the referee's to get killed, of course...

19. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I rather have 4 linesmen instead of two. The most common mistake referees make seems to be bad offside calls and this might help. I know FIFA considered implementing this several years ago but never knew why it was discarded.

20. TravisGardener

TravisGardener New Member

Jun 18, 2014
    Australia
    Actually, I reckon this is the answer:

That would quickly stop the problem of players diving!