The NBA 2012-13 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Cool Hand Luke, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Did Shaq thank Kobe?

2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Nope lol. Didn't thank any player he played with though.

3. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He cracked a couple Shaq jokes. The whole thing started with a taped video intro from Kobe, then some words from Phil Jackson (who was showered with "We Want Phil!" chants) and Jeannie Buss. Jerry West was there too.

I don't know when this ceremony was planned but doing it in front of Dwight Howard is pretty smart.

4. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Zards nation... That is all I have to say.

benni... repped this.
  5. Vasu

Vasu Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well I guess the Mavs are pretty much out of it now. It's between Utah and the Lakers to get that final spot.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    John Wall bringing it again yesterday. That's an understatement -- 27 points on 17 shots, 9 assists, 8 boards, 3 blocks, 1 turnover. He was borderline brilliant.

If you play off him, he pulls up for the midrange jumper, if you press him he drives, if you collapse he passes. Much calmer and better than he was 2 years ago.

He's might be the most underrated player in the NBA. Alright he is the most underrated player.

benni... repped this.
  7. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Carmelo scored 50, without scoring a single point in the paint.

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ah, Melo. Knicks should worry me more than they do, because they're pretty good this year. But they never play like that against Chicago.

I don't even believe in the matchup theory, I know it's basically bogus, but it's easy to get lulled into thinking that way when your team whups on another in the regular season.

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yeah, i guess john wall has become the player he had the potential to be!

10. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully he can stay healthy next year and get them back in the playoffs.

benni... repped this.
  11. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Hmm - I personally think there's something to it - some teams just have another team's number for no other explicable reason.

12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    We may find out soon enough, because the Bulls probably will finish as the #6 seed and face either NY or Indiana in the first round.

Bulls now have Rose (of course), Noah, Rip, Marco, and Taj on the sidelines. They'll be a pretty good playoff team if they get most of those guys back, but this being the Bulls that's probably a long shot.

13. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    But dude, the anemic Heat were right up there with them until the fourth.

That guy always has some crazy signs. I actually like this one. Typical LA'ish rich Laker fan dude.

See benni's post. Not only did not thank any of his players, but then again gives a shot out to all of the celebrities Lulz.

We want Phil! We want Phil! Good to see him back. How weird and awkward for DAntoni. Bu tI hope that lits a fire in his ass that he has the expectations of winning rings like Pat Riely and Phil.

Smart effin move. I hope it lits a fire under his candy ass and realizes the expectations of putting on the purple and gold. If he is gonna stay, then he must accept the challenge and bring us at least ring. If he runs with this tail behind and goes somewhere else, then he could not deal with the pressure. I also thought it was a planned move to play the Superman theme.

Curry. But then again, I have not seen John Wall play this season yet. I just know he is putting up some really good numbers.

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Curry gets props from NBA fans who realize he belonged in the All Star game. Wall does not. On the other hand, Wall wasn't this good until 2 months ago. Call it a draw then.

15. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I watched the Shaq speech just wondered if I missed thanking Kobe - I mean the dude does a video for you and you can't even give him props but you thank Diane Cannons' altered face? WTF? We all know he's a clown but just seemed in poor taste to me especially since their Laker's success was tied to the hip.

16. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Of course this will come up against my Thibbodeau's teams outperform in the regular season theory.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That was Shaq's team. Kobe has five rings and two of them are Shaq's. I exaggerate a bit, but only a bit- to say that their success was tied at the hip is ignoring the impact on the league that Shaq had.

18. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we really saying an overall #1 pick is underrated?

19. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Well, let's just say I didn't expect him to thank Anfernee Hardaway.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  21. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't remember Smith or Carroll ever being considered underrated. A #1 pick is either a bust or lives up to his potential. I'd say the least you can expect from a #1 is that he gets his team in the playoffs by the end of his rookie contract (unless the team's FO is a disaster). Sure, Wizards are getting wins now but they're getting them when they don't matter. If he stays healthy most of next season then they should get in the Eastern Conf playoffs no problem.

My rating for him is incomplete.

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Look at you, underrating him right there.

23. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Ugh - Joe Smith.

24. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fine with saying the Wizards are underrated. At least Vegas is constantly doing so.

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Just was on a board where a guy placed Wall, Lowry, Lin, and Teague in the 4th rank of NBA point guards, and nobody argued the point. So don't use the word underrated, say disrespected. That man is disrespected. Lin? Lowry? Teague? Are you kidding me?

benni... repped this.