The Nani Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by JuveleoRules, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Remember when everyone was ranting about that deal? :D

2. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    "And to keep out Chelsea's star attackers, Arshavin thinks left-back Gael Clichy will need to up his game from the 3-1 demolition by Manchester United last weekend, where Nani tormented the Frenchman all afternoon.

"In training it is very difficult for me to beat Clichy, but Nani made all the play through him," Arshavin added."

:eek:

A nice clipping for Nani's locker, don't you think? :)

3. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nani is way better then Arshavin though. Hes more athletic, better with the ball, more creative. The only think Arshavin has on Nani is the ability to think things through..lol

Whatever, Nani played well against Portsmouth again. This time he was utilized as a left winger. You can see his games changes a little bit. He try's to get inside a little more.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9V0lkn6ec"]YouTube- dafsg.wmv[/ame]

4. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I'm not sure about all that...

Nani has more potential than Arshavin but to say he is way better, after a few good displays, is very silly.

5. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Not over a few displays. Over NUMEROUS displays. Nani was scouted by one of the best teams in the world, coming from one of the best academies in the world, making an impact in one of the best leagues in the world. He is 23.

Asshavin is 30 years old now, struggling against big teams.

6. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Arshavin is good but at 28 to date he is remembered for his Euro 2008 performance only. In Arsenal he has had moments of brilliance but I don't recall him going on a 4 game tear like Nani has this last month.

Nani has been injured this season and his performances were shaky but now healthy and confident he looks like one of the most influential players for United. Although even when his form is shaky he consistently destroys Arsenal.

7. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    So was Anderson, and if you tell me you'd rather have Anderson than Arshavin than its clear that you've never even watched the Russian play. He was part of the Euro 2008 team of the tournament, making the Holland team that ripped apart Italy and France look like chumps, and led Zenit to the UEFA Cup...

And he's 28, not 30, and struggles against big teams? I recall him scoring 4 goals against Liverpool last year. Not bad for a midfielder, I'd say.

8. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Arshavin is better then Anderson, but Nani is better then both.

9. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Arshavin is Portuguese he starts and Nani sits on the NT. Saying Nani is better than Arshavin is just holding Portuguese in a higher light than the Russian. Its stupid honestly, Nani puts 4 games together and he's the second comming of Ronaldo? Arshavin is one of the top players in the world right now.

10. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    I would never say that Nani is so much better than Arshivin. That 4 goal game against Liverpool was insane. Arshivin is a nightmare to defend against. He's fast, tricky and fearless. BUT, and this is a big BUT, Arshivin is most dangerous in a tied game or in the lead. Right now, as single striker he's playing completely out of position. He's dangerous on the counter but once MU took the lead, the conventional build did not favor Arshivin in the box. You saw how he was tormenting Brown early in the game (when it was 0-0) but then he was taken out of the game when MU scored.

By contrast, Nani can have an impact at any time in the game. He's a great crosser of the ball, decent passer, above average dribbler (occasionally world class dribbler), and he's got speed to burn. In the recent games, he has found a new gear. I never thought he was really, really fast but he must be on a new training regime because what he did against Clichy was criminal. If you watch early in the game, there's a play where Rooney makes a bad pass to Nani on the right. Clichy has got 1-2 meter lead on Nani to the ball, but Nani just pushes the TURBO button, catches up and blows right by Clichy. That's what set up the first goal - Clichy was leaning so far to his left b/c he was afraid to be beat again on a race down the line that he got totally bamboozled on the cut back. And Clichy is considered to be one of the fastest FBs in the EPL. This new gear of Nani is going to be a huge weapon. That's why he's getting starts ahead of Valencia, who's had a great year so far.
    The only issue with Nani is his mind. His confidence goes up and down. And he sometimes (even at Sporting) would go spurts where he just seemed to be out of it. CRonaldo love him or hate him will not track back but plays aggressive attacking soccer for 90 minutes. Hopefully, Nani will learn to put the bad plays behind me and stay positive through whole matches. If he does, he could be a top notch winger for years to come.

I am wondering, assuming Simao and Nani are both playing top notch come June, would we consider a 4 - 4 - 2 against Ivory Coast (with Ronaldo and Levezinho up top and Simao as LM and Nani as RM?)? I mean at this point it would be hard to keep Nani out of the starting lineup.

11. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We have a Portuguese "Arshavin", his name is Danny. He is also better.

12. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danny is not better than Arshavin.

By your opinions Simao, Eliseu, and every other winger/second striker is probably better than Arshavin too.

The opinion of Nani being better than Arshavin can only be stated in the Portuguese boards without laughter.

13. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Arshavin plays for Arsenal.
    Danny plays for Zenit

Sure, Danny was bought for Millions but let's be serious here. If Danny was world class, he would be in a top 4 club in EPL, Spain or Italy.

14. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    People have been inquiring of Danny, and I bet you after the WC, Danny will be playing in one of the larger leagues. Arshavin is good, but your acting as if he is a god. Of course Arshavin is better then Eliseu.

15. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    LOL

I'm not on any Arshavin bandwagon. I don't even like him or care about him. Just saying he is better than Danny. Until Danny can be a starter at a big club, he is just a local folk hero at Zenit :D

16. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I agree, Danny is better than Arshavin. In fact, I'm really surprised that no european giant has picked him yet.

17. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Arshavin is like a more goal oriented Simao. Thats all.

18. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nani is an inconsistent Ronaldo. When Nani steps on to the pitch he could have a great game or play like shit, and neither would surprise me.

Arshavin had a two year stretch (08 thru 09) as one of the top players in the world. We are all shocked that Nani just put 4 or 5 good showings together, and now your comparing the two? Its a stupid comparison. Nani compares with the likes of David Bently or Theo Walcott. Arshavin is more like a poor man's Iniesta

And Danny? Has he played since his injury? I do believe Danny could become a great talent but all those teams that inquired about him inquired about Arshavin, too

19. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    And made actual offers.

But this is a silly argument, and frankly these boards are just becoming one huge argument. We all need to find a common enemy, like France or Germany. God, I hate them.

20. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate France, Italy and Brasil :eek: sorry!

so thats two votes for France

And im talking soccer-related...i don't hate anyone personally

21. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    People compare Nani and Ronaldo, because they are both wingers, from Sporting, and similar in age. But they are 2 different players, with distinctive qualities.

But on to your point. Nani is inconsistent. Actually, he is probably the most inconsistent player on our team along with Raul. But the thing with Nani, even if hes having a bad game! He still gets that one moment of brilliance, that leads to a goal, or to an assist. If you watch Manchester United, you see it time and time again, without fail. The same can be said for the National Team, although he does better with us.

When Arshavin goes out of the game, he goes out of it completely. There is no fear factor, or hope for him returning. Evidence? Euro08:Russia vs. Spain. He didn't even bother to run back on defense after a while. Completely neutralized by anyone with pace and some general ability to read trick players. WC2010 Qual: Russian vs Slovania: Manchester United vs Arsenal.

22. Força_Portugal

Jun 10, 2009
    Tri-State Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I despise Germany and Greece. :D

23. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I don't really dislike Greece. They were better than us, and taught us all a lesson.

But I can't stand the French. 3 times they have been luckier than us in the semi-finals. In 06 we were better, in 2000, I'd say it was a pretty even bout, along with 84. But two of the times they were lucky enough to get penalties, with the one in 06 being very questionable and unfortunately we had a retard in Xavier in defense in 2000. Their elimination at Euro 2008 was so wonderful to watch.

24. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sure, Blame Scolari for not thinking of a better strategy to combat Greece's defense. Good teams find ways to win games. They were a well-coached team.

25. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    And the 2010 award for bashing someone based on something they didn't say goes to...