The MVBM Movie/TV Quiz

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by jmh30, Jul 25, 2002.

1. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Re: Re: Re: Re: The MVBM Movie/TV Quiz

Er...pretend like I didn't add that second answer. Momentary brain freeze on Gary Burgoff's name...confused him with Linville. Burgoff was the one in both film/tv.

2. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that I'm going on vacation starting tomorrow, don't take my future silence in this quiz as a sign of trivia weakness. ;)

3. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to say Stevenson is the only one that's dead, but Linville is too now, right?

4. jmh30

jmh30 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DoctorJones - That's incorrect, Kevin Spacey did in fact win Best Actor for his role in American Beauty. Farrell actually played a different role, but did replace Stevenson when he left MASH. But the correct answer was, in fact, that Gary Burghoff was the only one to appear in both the movie and TV series, so 5 points for that, plus a bonus 5 points for realizing that Burghoff was the person I was looking for; I included Jamie Farr in the question by mistake. That's what I get for hurrying to keep up with GringoTex.

Michael K. - Not that it's relevant for the game, but you're correct that both Stevenson and Linville are deceased.

GringoTex - A very generous gesture! Obie gets the full 10 points for the sequels question.

I'll add in some more questions after I get back from the supermarket. Meantime, standings are:

GringoTex 40
    Obie 15
    DoctorJones24 10
    Noah Elliott 10

Question #1 is still unanswered.

5. jmh30

jmh30 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, identify the following quotes. One point each for:
    Movie
    Character's Name
    Actor's Name

9. "I'm not going to say any more than I have to, if that."
    10. "P.S. I changed my mind. Kiss my ass!"
    11. "I don't care if she's my cousin or not. I'm gonna knock those boots again tonight."
    12. "The gun again. Can't you guys just play nice?"
    13. "In one week, I can put a bug so far up her ass, she don't know whether to s**t or wind her wristwatch."
    14. "Hmmm. I don't... FEEL drunk."
    15. "I spent my whole life trying not to be careless. Women and children can be careless. But not men."
    16. "I'm not in the business. I am the business."
    17. "In ancient times, hundreds of years before the dawn of history, an ancient race of people... the Druids. No one knows who they were or what they were doing..."
    18. "The beauty of the Constitution is that it can always be changed. The beauty of the Constitution is that it makes no set law other than faith in the wisdom of ordinary people to govern themselves."
    19. "I cannot believe what a bunch of losers we are. We're looking up "money laundering" in the dictionary!"
    20. "See you on Monday. We'll be talking about Freud and why he did enough cocaine to kill a small horse."
    21. "Hey, all brothers don't know how to use guns, you racist motherf***er."
    22. "I simply didn't notice, neither did the guards. Seriously, how often do you really look at a man's shoes?"

6. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15. The Godfather, Marlon Brando as Don Corleone

18. Mr. Smith goes to Washington, Jimmy Stewart, Mr. Smith.

7. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was American Beauty the only film that the Director did not win the golden globe award?

8. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Of the top of my head, some guesses...

17) This is Spinal Tap
    18) Amistad?
    19) Office Space
    20) Animal House?
    22) Usual Suspects

9. jmh30

jmh30 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brando as Don Vito in The Godfather is correct. 3 to Alberto. Jimmy Stewart is incorrect.

The Golden Globes suck. FYI, unless specifically mentioned, NONE of the questions or answers will refer to any awards other than Oscars or Emmys; I should've been clearer about that in the first post. Anyway, Sam Mendes did win the Golden Globe for Best Director for American Beauty. Directors are on the right track for this one, though.

DoctorJones gets 1 each for This Is Spinal Tap and Office Space, 2 points still remain on each of those quotes. The other three guesses were incorrect.

GringoTex 40
    Obie 15
    DoctorJones24 12
    Noah Elliott 10
    Alberto 3

10. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Ah, didn't notice that you wanted character names/actors as well.

For the Tap quote, that was Christopher Guest as Nigel Tufnel, speaking right before Stonehenge almost gets crushed by a dwarf. (My pets: Nigel, Viv, Derek, and Saint)

Can't remember the main character's name in Office Space, or the actor. Was the guy's name Joel? I'm focusing on the scene: "Hey ____. Watch your cornhole, man."

11. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    19. Office Space, Peter played by Ron Livingston

12. jmh30

jmh30 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DoctorJones gets 2 more for Christopher Guest as Nigel Tufnel, Noah gets 2 for Peter, correctly identified as Ron Livingston. (DoctorJones had already received 1 point for identifying it as Office Space.)

GringoTex 40
    Obie 15
    DoctorJones24 14
    Noah Elliott 12
    Alberto 3

Questions still open: 1, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, 20, 21, 22

13. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    14. Memento

14. jmh30

jmh30 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. Character's name and actor?

15. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    20. Good Will Hunting, Robin Williams

16. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    The Godfather was the only one to win Best Picture but not Best Director.

17. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    The actor in Memento was Guy Pearce.

18. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    How could I have overlooked this one first time through?

22) Shawshank Redemption
    Morgan Freeman as "Red"

19. jmh30

jmh30 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There we go! I think everyone just assumes that Coppola won this award, when in fact it went to Bob Fosse for Cabaret. While The Godfather did take home Best Picture honors in 1972, Coppola had to wait until 1974 to win Best Director for The Godfather, Part II.

10 to CosmosRIP for that, plus 1 for identifying #14 as Memento and 2 for identifying $20 as Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting. 4 points to DoctorJones for Guy Pearce in Memento and Morgan Freeman as Red in The Shawshank Redemption. Standings are:

GringoTex 40
    DoctorJones24 18
    Obie 15
    CosmosRIP 13
    Noah Elliott 12
    Alberto 3

Quotes still on the table (four new ones added), looking for movie, character's name, and actor's name, unless otherwise noted.

11. "I don't care if she's my cousin or not. I'm gonna knock those boots again tonight."
    13. "In one week, I can put a bug so far up her ass, she don't know whether to s**t or wind her wristwatch."
    14. "Hmmm. I don't... FEEL drunk." (Correctly identified as Guy Pearce in Memento, looking for character's name.)
    18. "The beauty of the Constitution is that it can always be changed. The beauty of the Constitution is that it makes no set law other than faith in the wisdom of ordinary people to govern themselves."
    20. "See you on Monday. We'll be talking about Freud and why he did enough cocaine to kill a small horse." (Correctly identified as Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting, still looking for character's name.)
    23. "The fact that you've got "Replica" written down the side of your gun, and the fact that I've got "Desert Eagle point five-oh" written on the side of mine, should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence. Now... f*** off!
    24. "Well I always thought that archaeologists were always funny looking men going around looking for their mommies."
    25. "I'd give real money if he'd shut up."
    26. "You're gonna eat lighnin' and you're gonna crap thunder!"

20. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Young Guns
    Emilio Estevez
    Billy the Kid

Clerks
    Jay
    ?

Christopher Walken
    ?
    ?

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Jack Nicholson
    McMurphy

DieHard III
    Samuel Jackson
    ?

Shawshank Redemption
    Morgan Freeman
    ?

21. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    23. Snatch, Vinny Jones

22. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    23. "The fact that you've got "Replica" written down the side of your gun, and the fact that I've got "Desert Eagle point five-oh" written on the side of mine, should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence. Now... f*** off!
    Snatch
    ?
    ?

24. "Well I always thought that archaeologists were always funny looking men going around looking for their mommies."
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    ?
    ?

26. "You're gonna eat lighnin' and you're gonna crap thunder!"

Rocky
    Micky
    ?

23. jmh30

jmh30 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GringoTex gets 3 for Emilio Estevez as Billy the Kid in Young Guns, 2 for Jay in Clerks (still need actor), 1 for Christopher Walken, 3 for Jack Nicholson as McMurphy in ...Cuckoo's Nest, 2 for Sam Jackson in Die Hard 3 (still need character), 2 for Mickey in Rocky (still need actor), total of 13. CosmosRIP gets 2 for Vinnie Jones in Snatch (still looking for character's name).

Standings are:

GringoTex 53
    DoctorJones24 18
    Obie 15
    CosmosRIP 15
    Noah Elliott 12
    Alberto 3

Quotes still on the table, looking for movie, character's name, and actor's name, unless otherwise noted.

11. "I don't care if she's my cousin or not. I'm gonna knock those boots again tonight." (Correctly identified as Jay in Clerks, still looking for actor.)
    12. "The gun again. Can't you guys just play nice?" (Correctly identified as Christopher Walken, still looking for movie and character.)
    14. "Hmmm. I don't... FEEL drunk." (Correctly identified as Guy Pearce in Memento, looking for character's name.)
    20. "See you on Monday. We'll be talking about Freud and why he did enough cocaine to kill a small horse." (Correctly identified as Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting, still looking for character's name.)
    21. "Hey, all brothers don't know how to use guns, you racist motherf***er." (Correctly identified as Sam Jackson in Die Hard 3, still looking for character's name.)
    23. "The fact that you've got "Replica" written down the side of your gun, and the fact that I've got "Desert Eagle point five-oh" written on the side of mine, should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence. Now... f*** off! (Correctly identified as Vinnie Jones in Snatch, still looking for character's name.)
    25. "I'd give real money if he'd shut up."
    26. "You're gonna eat lighnin' and you're gonna crap thunder!" (Correctly identified as Mickey in Rocky, still need actor.)

By the way, if you ever notice an error in my math or in updating which questions are still on the table, please point it out, I'm updating these as quickly as I can so I might make typos.

24. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    14. Leonard is the name of Guy Pearce's character.

25. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    24. Kate Capshaw as Willi in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
    26. Burgess Meredith, as Rocky's trainer.