The Music thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Deadtigers, Apr 18, 2023.

1. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm gonna bring up YMO again.

Two of the members had a electronic group called Sketch Show. They were doing this in the 2000s. And they were well into middle age at this point.

Sometimes Sakamoto would join and they'd go by HASYMO, and they made this excellent 2nd song. Early mid 2000s with this one.

And of course, they all had their own individual projects.

Dr. Wankler and Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    #4452 Quakes05, Jun 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    @yossarian ...if you haven't seen this yet, you might find it interesting...

...it's amazing to me how many older artists cite The Beatles (1:00), and specifically their early album Meet the Beatles (or With the Beatles depending on where you lived), as the music that made them want to become song writers.

Dr. Wankler, bigredfutbol and yossarian repped this.
  3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen it. But thanks nonetheless.

Dr. Wankler and bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    it is difficult to convey to those who weren't there just how instantaneous and complete the Beatles conquest of the US airwaves and pop culture was. It was like the sequence in "That Thing You Do" where the single breaks on the radio and they run up the street tuning everybody's radio to themselves...

In Boise the bootleg--KBOI was an unusually hip station, but they cannot have been one of the 20, they had to have gotten a dub-- the bootleg broke on a Wednesday evening, during homework time. My sister and I did our homework together in her room where we could listen to her beach sized radio; the song came on and we were just stunned, And the DJ's phones lit up and he played it again; and again. and our phone lit up-- and it was downstairs in the entrance hall. Kathy called, and Danny, and Jan, and Lance, and my sister's boyfriend Chris, and my drummer friend Jimmy, and all "Did you hear that! What was that." The volume, the harmonies the passing chords, the best rock and roll drummer we'd ever heard-- and they were too young to have even heard of Ray Coniff and Lawrence Welk. The golden era was over-- Elvis in the Army, Uncle Chuck in jail, Jerry Lee and Little Richard trying to make peace with God, Buddy Holly dead, Motown not yet breaking out; the airwave had been limp for months-- but not no mo'.

The station-- KBOI-- was at the end of Buffalo Boulevard, strategically located between the center of town and the road to the reservoir where the submarine races were held each night. You would finish your homework, pick up your girl, drive to the "Howdy Pardner" for a burger, fries, and shake-- and upstairs over the fast food establishment was a glassed in story where the station lived. And when the carhops came skating out with your order they also brought your bill. And on the back of the ticket was a list of current singles with little boxes next to them. You would eat your burger, debate the music between you, check the ones you thought should be in the next week's top 40, and the carhops would collect the list when you paid, and go on out to the reservoir for an hour's snogging. The votes would be compiled through the week, and the new top 40 counted down Friday night. everybody listened.

The bootleg broke on a Wednesday evening in late October. The song got no votes Saturday-Tuesday, and only evening votes Wednesday-- and was number 2 by Friday evening! By the following week the two sides were numbers 1 and 2.

The station knew when it had a tiger by the tail and arranged with someone to go to London buy a Beatles discography and ship it to them. By November 23rd the listeners were thoroughly familiar with the whole songbook. When the station was played over the PA system at school to report the President's death, the song they turned down to read the bulletin was "Do You Want to Know a Secret."

By Christmas the shelves were choked with Beatles merchandise-- Beatles pictures. Beatles clocks, Beatles Throw pillows, lunchboxes and thermoses, action figures though they weren't called that then, Beatles trading cards, pull toys... Colonel Parker himself couldn't have been more thorough. They were in fact more popular than Jesus...

ToMhIlL, superdave, spejic and 11 others repped this.
  5. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    this is fantastic, thanks!

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Whenever I hear Mr. Sakamoto in the future, I will think to myself, "That damn Kazuma, man...". He really was amazing.

Dr. Wankler and Kazuma repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    yes very cool.

Can we imagine young Taosjohn serving the customers on roller skates for his summer job? :ROFLMAO:

Val1 and Quakes05 repped this.
  8. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    2005, my 18th birthday. Paul McCartney came to the Palace of Auburn Hills in Michigan for two shows. October 14th and 15th. My parents, being the awesome people that they are, got me tickets.

He opened the show with stuff from his new album and was just playing an acoustic guitar. About 30 minutes in, as if to say, "Let's do this." He played Live and Let Die. Soon as let die and that instrumental frenzy kicked in, fire shot out from the stage. I can still feel the heat of it. He did a 20 minute rendition of Hey Jude and had the crowd singing it. It was like he went into another gear.

Top 2 show I've seen, along with U2. Sir Paul and U2 have it. That's all.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Same.

bigredfutbol, Auriaprottu and Kazuma repped this.
  10. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Going to give “Heart of Gold” a try for my Friday group. Should be fun.

Quakes05 and Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That is SUCH a great tune! Old Man and Sugar Mountain are pretty great too.

usscouse repped this.
  12. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Got to love my “hearing aids” Never thought I’d say that but my cell phone plays right into them. Doesn’t play on the phone speakers so I play as loud or soft as I like with better sound results.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  13. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Nice one. :)

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    No, that was "women's work." I had a paper route.

But one memorable Sunday morning when the presses broke down and we all had to stand around the loading dock waiting for them to be fixed and our bundles to be run off, Tag, our supervisor, called the station and got them to play the entire "brown album" and pulled his Falcon up and blasted it real loud at 5 am for our pleasure, and we was rockin'!
    "Wait--
    Wait a minute
    Mr Pressman, look and see is there a bundle in your bag for me?
    Deliver the papers
    Sooner not later."

"I saw Uncle Tag
    With long Tall Sally
    Saw Mrs Tag comin' and he ducked back up this alley
    OOO baby now
    some fun tonight
    Sally now's
    really sweet
    got everthing
    Uncle Tag needs, oh baby now
    Some fun tonight!!"

Grizzled old printers and 12 year old news boys pirouetting on the loading dock, heads thrown back, arms out, singing along to Larry Williams and Little Richard songs, a scene too hip for Hollywood for years to come... :):eek::):x3::thumbsup:

roby, The Jitty Slitter and rslfanboy repped this.
  15. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Neil Young's Cinnamon Girl was the first song I ever learned to play on guitar. Can be played in standard tuning or double drop D.

Heart of Gold is another fun song to play on guitar, same with Old Man.

Auriaprottu and usscouse repped this.
  16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What is double drop D, from low to high? I'm not familiar with the terminology..

17. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    DADGBd. You're changing only the low and high E strings to D. The singular drop D you're only changing the low E string. Cinnamon Girl is in double drop D (But it can also be played in standard tuning). Lot of other songs like Ohio, The Chain, are in that tuning as well.

Then there's DADGAD, which is another favorite tuning of mine. Joni used open D (DADF#Ad) for her song Both Sides now with a capo (Beautiful sound).

usscouse and Auriaprottu repped this.
  18. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #4468 usscouse, Jun 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
    Before I got with the casual twice a week fun acoustic group about 6 months ago, I’d never heard of John Prine. Singer, songwriter from the late 60s he was pretty prolific. I came across this one today, it became an anti Viet Nam War song. Its starting to re-surge for a slightly different cause these days. Got to learn it so I can play it on Monday.
    I think we all think alike,
    I hope
    IMG_1243.jpeg

19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I've been a fan of REM for forty years but until today I've never heard their cover of Tighten Up.

20. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like something Dub Narcotic Sound System would’ve recorded in the 90’s. But without Calvin Johnson’s annoying voice.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I never liked this song, but props for a slightly better cover.

22. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I was actually looking for a Go Go cover of the song when I stumbled on REM’s version.

23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any chance this was from the same jam that the little funk interlude between "Camera" and "Don't Go Back to Rockville"?

24. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I know what you are talking about but I don’t think so. I think I would have remembered it. Now going over it in my head I know it isn’t.

25. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Maywood, IL's finest!

WXRT plays this one a lot, I like it

Dr. Wankler repped this.