The Music thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Deadtigers, Apr 18, 2023.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, no hate for either one. I just don't know their music. Never heard any Destiny's Child, either, but I have heard of them.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  2. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were fun to see live.

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Bob Mould is on tour this year - seems i could catch him in Belgium

Has anyone seen him in recent years?

https://bobmould.com/

4. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure I mentioned upthread I've seen him tons---most recently just before lockdown. If you like Bobby, go!

5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I got into him via workbook / black sheets which sent me down the rabbit hole with Hüsker Dü.

The his Sugar career hit and we were massive fans - but i never followed him post FUEL for some reason

I guess i need to get listening. His voice still sounds okish

6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nearly 20 years ago, he was working as a DJ at the Backstage bar behind the 9:30 Club in DC. I don't think it's a gay bar, necessarily, but on certain nights it certainly catered to a (male) gay clientele.

A buddy of mine and I decided to check it out--and there was Bob Mould, working off a card table underneath the stairs, mixing EDM for a club full of horny young gay guys whom--Mould assured my friend and I--had no idea who he was and probably none of them were into Husker Du.

superdave, luftmensch, Mike03 and 5 others repped this.
  7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just listened to Beyonce's new "country" album, and...while it's (not at all surprisingly) not my cup of tea, I have to admit it's pretty damn good overall. I would not mind listening to it again, and on a first listen I'd wager there are a handful of songs which could actually grow on me.

Quakes05, rslfanboy and Auriaprottu repped this.
  8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is the strangest story ever!

9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4159 bigredfutbol, Apr 17, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
    My friend was single at the time, and the bartender at the club that night--the only woman in the place, IIRC--was an absolute smoke show; seriously one of the hottest women I've ever met in my life. She seemed to be convinced that he & I were a couple; two adorable older gay men going out clubbing with the yoots for the night. She gave us a little bit extra attention every time we got drinks and generally acted like our buddy. Even asked if we "liked this kind of music."

I tried to be a good wingman for my friend, but she never came out and said anything about us being together directly enough so I could "correct" her regarding both our relationship as well as my friend's sexual orientation without it being awkward or worse. Would've been a great premise for a Seinfeld episode.

EDIT: Should point out--the bartender in question, while younger than my friend & I, was older than most of the clientele that evening; wasn't trying to help my friend creep on a college-aged girl or anything like that. Just wanted the hot thirty-something lady to know that my forty-something buddy wasn't with me.

The Jitty Slitter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    He also wrote scripts for the WCW which is odd...but also homoerotic at the same time :D

11. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This is one I remember. 99, 00 I think. It was played a lot on the radio.

12. cliche_guevara

cliche_guevara Member+

Jun 1, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    "Can you pay my automo-bills" has to be one of the best lines in English since Shakespeare.

luftmensch repped this.
  13. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
  14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No, this is new to me. I wasn't listening to R&B radio those years because they were focusing too much on this type of sound instead of trying to help young people thru exposing them to the greats.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm sorry. This was uncalled for. She has a nice voice and is fine as hell. I just don't care for the style.

bigredfutbol and Val1 repped this.
  16. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That's fine, it was the sound I grew up on. I've posted Aaliyah on here as well. I liked that sound. I will say it does sound like a product of it's time. The way I look at it, there's probably people who don't know that Beyonce was in a group before she went solo. Either they weren't born yet or they were too young to hear it.

I discovered the classic R&B sound as I got older, but to a 12-14 year old me, I did like this song. It's catchy.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I listened to a lot of songs from Janet Jackson's Control in the 80s, but there was something missing from 80s R&B* that ultimately got replaced by jazz and I didn't really have time to get back to the much cooler stuff that's out there today.

*In this rare case, I don't feel like I'll get much blowback when I say 70s R&B is the benchmark of the genre, and the decade that followed gets measured against it pretty harshly in my head.

I did and still like this song, tho I haven't ever listened to it much. The intro is just an interesting little hook that I don't mind being a hook. 'Nutter went to school with her, he said.

bigredfutbol and Kazuma repped this.
  18. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife and a couple of her friends (none of whom I'd call country music fans) absolutely love it.

19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4169 bigredfutbol, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    I'll admit--I expected it to be a heaping helping of bloated, corporate-Nashville-meets-American-Idol-diva, bombast. Was not expecting how restrained some of the performances are, nor how spare some of the arrangements are.

She went for broke trying to make a culturally-big-deal artistic statement, and she kinda delivers the goods.

Dr. Wankler and rslfanboy repped this.
  20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You won't get any argument from me that R&B largely took a turn for the worse in the 80's. I'd argue that true for much of rock music, as well--one reason I got into punk and post-punk in the mid-80's (when I was in my adolescence) was because the popular rock music of the era didn't measure up to the classic rock of the previous couple of decades. Specifically--as a younger adolescent, I got into early 70's hard rock, and the metal that my peers were getting into just didn't resonate with me. Too polished, too sonically limited, too something.

OTOH, the 80's did bring some cool new stuff. I love late 80s/early 09s hip-hop, and the "alternative" music of the era (largely from before "alternative" became the accepted marketing term) holds up pretty well. I'll take Husker Du over most of the bands they subsequently influenced, for example.

21. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There's some solid 80s stuff. D-Train's You're The One For Me (Man that song is awesome), Teddy Pendergrass had Love TKO, Sylvia Striplin's Can't Turn Me Away, Marvin's Sexual Healing. Not as great as the 70s but still solid.

bigredfutbol and Auriaprottu repped this.
  22. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I have never visited a more bland city until I visited Nashville at 19 years old and still maintain it despite going back to visit family there over the years. Small, lacking any unique food (Waffle House is good but ever experience something like Italian food?), lacking anything to do outside of the Broadway area (Bars and country music, big whoop), and it's nothing more than bachelor/bachelorette parties for people who couldn't handle Vegas.

Of course, it doesn't help that I loathe country music, which is all Nashville is known for. The first time I went to Nashville, it was with my family at 19. As we were walking around surrounded by shops selling guitar shaped everything, my mom asked my thoughts on Nashville. To which I instantly said, "I prefer jazz."

Mike03, Dr. Wankler and bigredfutbol repped this.
  23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spent an afternoon in Nashville, and it kinda felt like I saw what there was to see.

I do like some C&W music, but by and large it comes from musicians who've succeeded in spite of the Nashville industry, not thanks to it.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Pretty much what I felt when I went. I mean outside of country, where's the art museums, where's the cool tourist stuff that locals also like (In Detroit's case, that's Eastern Market)? As for country, I'll make an exception for say Johnny Cash, but no thanks.

25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Catch me in a maudlin mood and put a few beers in me, and I might (badly) sing some Hank Sr.

Dr. Wankler repped this.