The Music thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Deadtigers, Apr 18, 2023.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Was at a friend's house Thursday evening and a few of us watched some videos. Gerry Mulligan was one of them.

2. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I actually saw a little kid wearing a Al Hilal Neymar shirt at a Detroit City game this month. I've seen the usual standard non DCFC stuff, but a Middle Eastern team was a first.

bigredfutbol and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I also bought Miles's Kind of Blue, a Japanese album that covers Horace Silver, some Pacific Jazz comps, and that Mulligan album.

There was a Late Night Tales comp that I'm still hoping is there when I go this week.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't actually have a turntable set up, and I haven't bought any vinyl in decades. I last played vinyl in the late 90s. My listening happens thru the headphones of my desktop or phone, as a matter of convenience. I own about 150 albums but they're in storage, because it's just easier to go to YT. I need to get some nice headphones.

5. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I have two ways of listening:

My computer and my turntable set-up. I got lucky with the turntable, I was helping a good friend move, they had one, never used it, asked if I wanted it, said sure as I had a set of records but no turntable. The computer has about several months worth of music. Some from ripping vinyl, CDs I owned as a teenager, and others through the high seas, mainly stuff I had a hard time finding. There's something fun about taking out a record, putting it on, and then just enjoying yourself.

I miss the old iPods and I'm mad I never picked up the last gen, which had up to 160GB in storage. Problem was I was a broke college student in 2007. Much as I like having music on my phone, nothing is more annoying than a song being interrupted by a phone call. At least with the iPod, I could create a playlist, hit shuffle, and just let it run without having to worry anything. I did have two iPods at one point, one that was a gift from my parents and the other I found at a thrift store. Sadly I lost the former at a shitty retail job, which I remain convinced was stolen by one of the people I worked with. I still have the latter but the battery is cooked.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  6. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Creep is not very representative of Radiohead. Pablo Honey is more of an anomaly. Blow Out from the same debut album is about the only interesting song on there. They are a weird band where their first album is pretty blah and then they get a lot better, much it being Thom Yorke getting some thicker skin and also inviting more collaboration from his band mates in writing/crafting songs.

Thom Yorke was also pretty famously unaware of music history, so I doubt he consciously crafted anything to sound like a band that wasn’t contemporaneous, or at least not playing into the 80s.

bigredfutbol, yossarian and luftmensch repped this.
  7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thanks. I didn't know their history, just that one song. Due to that I really can't place them like Pizza wanted me to. Not enough info to answer the question.

8. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Their songs translate well to piano and classical in general for a reason. The writing is pretty solid. Now, the silly criticism about college boys losing their nut over Radiohead’s brilliance is completely fair. I wouldn’t know firsthand, but it sounds very similar to the early Pink Floyd fanboyism of the 70s. That doesn’t mean the music isn’t great, it just means there are a lot of really annoying fans of the band.

I really like the baseline in this one:

superdave, yossarian and Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm a fair fan of Floyd myself, but I came to them somewhat late, and their better stuff even later.

10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel seen---especially given that I think OK Computer is genius from start to finish.
    :D

Q*bert Jones III and rslfanboy repped this.
  11. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    While most of Beauty & the Beat's songs were written or co-written by Charlotte Caffey, "Our Lips are Sealed was written by Jane Wiedlin and Terry Hall of the Specials/Fun Boy Three.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Because of this thread, I've had Our Lips Are Sealed stuck in my head for the last few hours.

luftmensch and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  13. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There are worse ear worms!

superdave repped this.
  14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    At this moment in time, I'm not inclined to agree

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talked myself out of buying my wife & I tickets to see him at Blue's Alley several years back. We were pinching pennies then far more than we are now, but we absolutely could've eaten the cost. I've always regretted that.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Maybe extreme but I get it.
    Just heard American Woman the other day

Cummings has canceled his performance-license agreements, meaning the current Guess Who can’t perform any songs that Cummings wrote, co-wrote and published. It also means no one else can perform Guess Who songs live and, astonishingly, that Cummings is sacrificing royalties from his songs used in commercials, played on the radio, and elsewhere, Billboard reports.
    “I’m willing to do anything to stop the fake band,” Cummings says in the Rolling Stone story. “They’re not the people who made these records and they shouldn’t act like they did.

“This doesn’t stop this cover band from playing their shows; it just stops them from playing the songs I wrote. If the songs are performed by the fake Guess Who, they will be sued for every occurrence.”

In October, Cummings and Randy Bachman, the band’s former guitarist and co-founder, filed a lawsuit against the current group and former original bassist, Jim Kale, and drummer Garry Peterson. The lawsuit claims the current iteration is “a cover band” and gives the false impression that the original lineup is performing at shows.

https://www.cleveland.com/music/202...c-step-to-stop-fake-group.html?outputType=amp

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sounds like Cummings wants to defend his songwriting rights against a band that doesn't tour with its original songwriters. Don't make him come undone...

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Courtney Love Mocks Taylor Swift...

I haven't heard anything by either woman, but it seems a bit over the top for the siren to basically no one ever to comment on the siren to teenage girls. Love's not a member of Nirvana just because she married one of them, and Hole didn't get famous enough to matter.

19. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Early 2000-sies hip hop is just the funniest shit out there.

The only thing funnier is to hear music that is virtually ALL swear words and boasting about guns/ drugs censored of all swear words and boasting about guns/drugs.

20. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This is what I'm listening to now. The Hoodoo Gurus have held up much better than much other music of that time.

fatbastard, bigredfutbol and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Those guys used to tour like beasts back in the day. I seem to remember an article about something like 300 shows in a 12 month period traveling in a couple of vans. The headline had the title "Road Warriors" in it, IIRC

bigredfutbol repped this.
  22. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Taylor Swift got interrupted by Kanye at an awards show when she was 19 (Obama calling him a jackass just works), criticism from Courtney Love is just static at this point. That and she just likes trying to start stuff for the sake of it.

That said, there's a couple Swift songs I like. I never really got into Hole, but I like L7 more.

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    President Obama was right, of course. Kanye needed to STFU and let that kid have her day in the sun. I didn't expect her day in the sun to be this long or sunny.

No doubt spending Kurt's hard-earned money like crazy. It's a sure thing Hole would barely be known if he hadn't agreed to marry her.

24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw L7 live back in the day.

It's been literally decades since I've listened to it, but I did quite like Live Through This so I give Love props for at least once good album.

yossarian and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  25. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Swift's a talent and so is Beyonce, both are still going strong, and Beyonce's been going since the late 90s when she was with Destiny's Child.