The Multi-Eligible Player Recruitment Thread (2026 WC Cycle Edition)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    We're gonna lose some it hurts to lose. And that too will be to the credit of our development system.

gomichigan24, TheFalseNine and Winoman repped this.
  2. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    But most of the dual nationals who were born here and grew up here also had positive soccer influences through one or both of their parents. I agree that we can take credit for their development but that's easier when they have a built in attraction for the sport. Remember the legend of Johnny Appleseed? We can use a Johnny Soccerseed to help spread the word.

3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is pretty much everyone on our team is a dual national of some sort. And it’s true that alot of the guys who do make it had a parent that played at some level whether they are a dual national or not. But as our development system continues to improve we’ll start to see more guys with different sorts of back stories.

4. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Nats who had a parent who played at a high level: Reyna, Pulisic, Weah, Jedi.

Anyone else? That doesn't strike me as a high percentage.

5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What parent of Jedi's played at a high level?

Not that he's getting called up anymore (fortunately), but Shaq Moore is the son of former T&T player Wendell Moore.

And of course tri nat that we're losing to Morocco Amir Richardson is the son of NBA legend Micheal Ray Richardson...

6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Jesus Ferreira as well. The Aaronson's dad and Tyler's stepdad were both coaches at some levels, though neither were high level players, I don't think. Tyler's almost certainly not a USMNT player if his stepdad doesn't come into his life.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Father played soccer at Duke.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Adam's stepfather Daryl Sullivan is a college soccer coach
    Rusty Aaronson played at Monmouth and semi-pro in the early 90's.
    Dest's dad played at Division III SUNY Canton.
    Scalley's mom was a U-16 national champion

There also seems to be an interesting relation to basketball and CBs with Richards and CCV having Pro Basketball fathers. Miles was a top player in his high school.

gomichigan24, gogorath and Winoman repped this.
  9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Height, athleticism and footwork.

10. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Plus basketball has a lot of similarities to soccer regarding ball circulation, defense and anticipation. Typically, the only big footwork change is to keep your feet narrow instead of wide.

gogorath repped this.
  11. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Former athletes are likely to have kids that are also athletic. A good chunk of athletes across all sports have at least one parent that played sports at a high level especially if that threshold is low-level college ball versus high level college much less pro.

Soccer being more technical likely benefits from having a coach as a parent versus other sports, but obviously growing up around the game is a big factor as well.

ussoccer97531 and gogorath repped this.
  12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm just learning that Julian Hall who is now the second youngest player to debut in MLS has a Polish passport. Thankfully he has been provisionally cap-tied in the U-15 C'CAF championship.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Was it ever established that the U15s were cap-tying? In the past they weren't, but I saw the reports that these last ones might have been, except those reports were disputed.

14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Is anything really established until FIFA rules on it specifically?

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #140 Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 1, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    I mean there is plenty of Calvinball to go around! My point was just that I wasn't even sure if these latest U15 were even truly believed by any fed or confederation to be cap-tying, or if it was just weird rumors or whatever the case might have been.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I can't research it right now, the fact they played 80 minute games with more than 5 subs should indicate it wasn't an official competition.

17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The basis is that under the newer rules official youth confederation tournaments are now provisionally cap-tying when before it was only FIFA World Cups and their qualifiers.

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #143 Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 1, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    Was that written somewhere official? I may have missed it!

19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Per the FIFA explainer:

18 A player is tied to a “sporting nationality” where they have:
    18.1 participated in a match (in full or part); and
    18.2 that match was in an official competition, regardless of age category or type of football.
    20. The phrase “official competition” is defined in the FIFA Statutes as “a competition for representative teams organised by FIFA or any confederation”.
    20.1 Friendly matches are therefore not matches in an official competition.
    20.2 Similarly, matches played as part of a representative team competition not organised by FIFA or a confederation (e.g. a regional association), are therefore not matches in an official competition.​

Notice that a futsal or beach soccer cap is just as binding as a soccer cap. The language is so encompassing that, on the face of it, the U15 Concacaf tournament is binding. Certainly, CONCACAF does list the boys U15 tournament as a very prominent official tournament in their website.

The issue might still exist because UEFA does not have a U15 tournament and we know that FIFA is mostly ruled by European context and expectations.

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question to ask is "would an official competition played with friendly rules *still* be considered a competition?"

21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Per IFAB, the duration can be changed

Regarding substitutions it is a little incoherent. It starts off with a very solid statement that there is a maximum of five substitutions but at the very end it says you can have 6 subs senior "A" matches but for other matches there can be more if the teams are in agreement. It is very specific that only youth tournaments or other special categories allow return substitutions.

Again, this IFAB and not FIFA. I am having some issues finding FIFA's 22/23 rules under which the U15s fall.

I think, though, that the big issue is that there may be countries that would find cap-tying a very young age illegal. Given the the latest flagrant flaunting of youth cap rules I am thinking that everything is currently unsettled.

22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  24. moochie

moochie Member

Feb 14, 2002
    While Daryl Sullivan has no doubt played a big role in Tyler's life, Tyler was already a part of the Red Bull Academy system when Tyler's mom married Mr. Sullivan.

deejay repped this.
  25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Yes, but -- and I reserve the right to be wrong here, about any of this -- he's only been capped once, he's under 21 and the cap wasn't in a FIFA or UEFA final. I think that means he might theoretically be eligible to change if we here so inclined? Or am I behind the times?