The Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona NSR' started by os_mutante, Mar 17, 2007.

1. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    One of my favorite scenes in Arrested Development is when Henry Winkler's character is running and jumps over a toy shark...since Fonzie himself inspired the term in this infamous scene:
    [youtube]MpraJYnbVtE[/youtube]​

2. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Yeah I remember that. Just one of the many ingenious things that show had.

3. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    "He's going to be all right!" :D

4. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might have mentioned this solid bored at work time waster, but http://www.listentoamovie.com/ has a bunch of seasons of Arrested Development on it. Simpsons too. If you've seen an episode a couple times and know what happens in it, just listening to the audio is pretty amazing.

One of my favorites is the one where Michael thinks George Michael is smoking weed, but he's really buying it for Buster, who's getting it for his girlfriend Liza Minelli's vertigo. There was one scene where Michael is ranting to Gob about his kid being on dope, and Gob is being all silent during his rant. When Michael finally stops, Gob lets out this huge cloud of smoke and says, "Whoa... uh, yeah, wow it's cold out here, huh??" :D

Meet me at the big yellow joint...

5. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    LOL that song ruled.

My favorite character was Tobias. The whole Carl Weathers thing was genius.

Also Gene Parmesan the private detective that was only on for one episode and always appeared out of the blue everywhere.

6. YoungR10

YoungR10 New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Largo
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  7. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  8. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    While I normally like to ahem "preview" some movies online, I would really recommend watching The Dark Knight on a movie theater. While it's a kick ass movie irregardless to where you watch it, the big screen, the sounds, the audience reactions(particularly to a magic trick the joker does:p) help make the movie quite an experience.

9. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree

Signed, Fellow Previewer

10. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Anyone seen "Hands over the City"?
    It's a Francesco Rosi film...I'm rather enjoying it.

11. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    BUMP*******

Please add movies (preferably Indie/Small screen)seen lately and thoughts.

12. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a $2 second run theater a block or so from my place, so I catch up on the big Hollywood movies there a few months after they're out of the first runs.

Kung Fu Panda - not bad
    Get Smart - rather terrible
    Step Brothers - funny in the beginning and end

Tonight I'm seeing W at the Arclight in Hollywood. First time I'll see a movie there.

13. manyfaces

manyfaces Member

Feb 4, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago 10

Pretty interesting to watch with 20/20 historical hindsight. It's painfully obvious how wrong EVERYBODY was both within the trial and the protests and police riot.

14. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been too busy to go see anything lately, but I've cleared some time in my schedule for over next few days for the Chicago International Film Fest. I'm going to see DéFICIT, The Wave (based on these events), Berlin - 1st of May, Let The Right One In, Tôkyô, and hopefully The Wrestler.

I also got a few tickets to the "Major surprise film debut" they announced today, but obviously, I have no idea what that's going to be. All I can do is pray it's not something like Soul Men.

15. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Wrestler looks really interesting. Sounds a little bit like the Jake the Snake story.

Has anyone ever seen the documentary Beyond The Mat? The section on Jake the Snake alone is worth it, when they start reflecting on the mercurial appeal of his youth, when he was still a rising star who unmistakably had "it," and how nowadays he's this middle aged man, hitting the road, burning through failed relationships with his wife and his daughter, sinking into a life of painkillers and ever-devolving sexual mores... THAT was compelling and Faulkner-esque. Either that, or just completely silly to see an old man playing with snakes.

There really should be more wrestler movies, Paradise Alley and Ready To Rumble (ha!) are not indicative whatsoever of the kind of great character stories that are the lives of professional wrestlers.

16. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Anyone heard of the film Kicking It? It's a documentary about the Homeless World Cup. ESPN is a distruibutor so they've been giving it on some of the different ESPN channels. Right now it's on ESPN Classic.

17. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard of the HWC but never seen footage or the documentary. Worth watching?

Saw Elite Squad last night. It's like City of God meets Starship Troopers, in the sense that it's about the favela and an "elite" force of police who patrol the area. It's like ST in the sense that you question whether the film is really endorsing it's almost fascist police tactics or just showing how screwed up the drug war is in Rio.

18. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both of these movies were already in my Netflix queue (Kicking It is actually available on Watch Instantly), but I haven't gotten around to watching either of them yet.

19. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Definitely. It's a pretty sad film. It follows 4 or 5 players from different countries throughout the tournament and basically gives their back story, their life throughout the tournament, what the cup means to them and all that.

20. ColdenHaulfield

ColdenHaulfield New Member

May 13, 2009
    San Diego/Long Beach
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Wrestler is awesome, and is inspired in parts by the Jake the Snake docum.

Homeless World Cup is on my queue, but I haven't seen it yet. Looks like a bummer, for sure.

As far as what I have seen recently:

Let the Right One In: 6. I have never liked films about vampires, no matter how intelligently they may be made. This one is really well done, but I just couldn't enjoy it.

The Harvey Milk Story: 9. Not "Milk" starring Sean Penn, but rather the documentary from the 80s. Really touching story. I prefer stock footage over acting, although I hear Van Sant did a really good job.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance: 8. I didn't enjoy it as much as Old Boy. Not as stylish as I was expecting it to be, but still above the norm as far as psychological thrillers go.

Happy Go Lucky: 3. The characters were really annoying. Period. It seemed like the story was contrary to what the point was.

Changeling: 7. Really interesting tale. I hate when a film strays from the facts, especially if the facts are sometimes MORE interesting, which was the case with this movie. But, as far as an engaging story where you sympathized with the characters, this movie worked.

Synecdoche, NY: I give this one a horseshoe. It is hard to describe, and sometimes, I felt like Kaufman was going over my head. It wasn't fun to watch, it was beautiful, and sad, but at times unbearable. Definitely not as enjoyable as Adaptation which is one of my all time favs.

Choke: 6. Read the book. Much better. Obvious. But props for not making a more conventional story, and trying to cater to the sick people who enjoyed the book.

21. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw Rudo Y Cursi today. I've been looking forward to this movie for years, ever since I saw it listed on IMDB simply as a soccer movie staring Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna. It's very funny, and I'd recommend it to anyone who can find it.

22. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BUMP

First of all, this has been the slowest week in the history of work. Not even any Barca midweek games, wth.

I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D last night and I sat in the front row. Do not be scared of the front row for IMAX 3D movies. It's pretty wild.

23. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Hey, I saw it the other day (not in 3d) I'd say it was a great visual movie. Storywise its just meh. But it looks so good its worth the 7 bucks.

24. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the story could have been a little more interesting. But it was pretty cool visually for sure.

Saw the new Sherlock Holmes movie and it was pretty good also. Really gives me the urge to see Young Sherlock Homes again!

25. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you see it in IMAX, or "LieMAX"?

I'm supposed to go see it with some friends in IMAX on Monday. Can't wait.

I also have yet to see Up In The Air. Hoping to check that out soon, as it seems likes it's a lock for a best picture nomination, and I got's to have an opinion when that shit rolls around. I'm gonna try to actually see all of the movies nominated for Best Picture this year, which I don't think I've done since the Pulp Fiction/Forest Gump/Shawshank group of death. I figured since they upped it to 10, I better start now. Should have two down with Inglourious Basterds and Hurt Locker, both of which were fantastic.