The Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona NSR' started by os_mutante, Mar 17, 2007.

1. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I just came back from watching "The Dark Knight", and I agree with Greddy. Amazingly it lived up to the hype surrounding it. I'd read many reviews praising his performance, but I have to say Ledger blew me away too. He brings a whole new dimension to the character, and ends up stealing the movie. I didn't want it to end because I knew it was the last time we would see "his" Joker. What a great actor...can't help but think what could've been.

2. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ledger's Joker made Nicholson's Joker look like a joke. :D

WTF?

[​IMG]

Hell yeah.

[​IMG]

3. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just caught the last showing of the weekend. Fantastic. Although it felt a bit like all the really good bits of one season of 24, all squished together into 2.75 hours. That really was a performance by Ledger, one for the ages.

4. USCule

USCule Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Loved the Dark Knight.....it doesn't really ever let up, and with Ledger's performance and the writing you just KNOW something crayzay is just around the corner.

I thought it may have been just a wee bit too long, and I know this kind of stuff may go unnoticed by many, but Armani was really hyping the fact that they were the official MTM outfitter for the Bruce Wayne character, but his civilian clothing was a total let down.

Nitpicking, I know....the movie was still the shiz.

5. PARAdoxx

PARAdoxx New Member

Mar 1, 2007
    So what impressed you in particular about the film, except Ledger's acting? (No spoilers please.) I'm still yet to see it and very anxious because it seems like everyone's seen it already but me...

6. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like USCule pretty much said, it's long but it doesn't let up. It's pretty much tense throughout.

Go see it. It's the best summer blockbuster in a long time.

BTW, I don't usually care for TMZ-style celebrity news, but I heard this on the radio, wonder if anyone else did: Batman beats up his mom.

7. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    :eek:

Hopefully he was drunk...

8. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One last Bat-post for the day, some of my coworkers went down to the Spectrum (a colossal mall) here in Irvine and look what was parked outside the movie theater:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    His sister probably could've knocked his lights out if he pulled that while he was filming The Machinist. :p

10. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh... btw, what is with these method actors?? I read that Heath Ledger locked himself up in a hotel room for a month getting the Joker's part down.

11. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Some people say that's why he 'committed' suicide.

12. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    He didn't commit suicide, it was ruled an accidental OD on prescription medications. But he was taking sleeping aids because he was suffering from insomnia, as a consequence of trying too hard to get into the mind of a madman.

13. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I know, but some people think he actually killed himself, not by accident.

14. PARAdoxx

PARAdoxx New Member

Mar 1, 2007
    To round off the whole story, he just needs a posthumous Oscar. It's a shame he died the way he did. Really sad.

15. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    He won't get it though :(

He'll be lucky to even get a nomination.

16. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. I thought he had a chance before I even saw the movie, as public sentiment was building for it. Not to sound like a jerk, but I thought his death would get him undeserved oscar consideration, given the fact that there was considerable hype surrounding his role. Having see though movie though, and seeing what a great performance he gave, I think he's a lock for a deserved nomination. I mean, I think his performance was in the same category as Javier Bardem's Anton Chigurh, and he won it. I guess whether or not he wins depends on how many other good performance there are this year. I can't even remember when the Academy Awards take place.

Speaking of Chigurh, that was a friggin' amazing movie too. I might watch that again tonight.

17. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't think the Academy looks to highly upon comic-book movies and make-up clad villains.

The Oscars are in February btw.

18. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Academy has to get with the times, someday. Comic book movies are the new summer blockbusters, and have been and will be for a long time.

One thing the Academy has always been on board with are movies that make a crapload of money. Gladiator, anyone? Titanic?

Ledger's death, sad to say, will probably help his cause. Bottom line, I think Ledger wins it, and deservedly so. Who could he possibly be up against?

That was a pretty great movie. I honestly thought There Will Be Blood was much much better and should have won Best Picture.

19. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's the key right there. We'll have to see what comes out during the rest of the year.

20. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If they could get over Anton Chigurh's hair, they can get over a little makeup:p

I liked "No Country for Old Men" a lot, but "There Will Be Blood" was the one that stayed on my mind after watching it. And the difference, was Daniel Day-Lewis. His performance, like Ledger's, blew me away. It's a rare thing when you walk out of a theater and you think about the character and not the actor behind it. I think that's helped TDK become a phenomenon and not just a summer blockbuster.

21. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Daniel Day Lewis was soooo great in TWBB, he won Best Actor and the movie got nothing. I thought it should have been the other way, give the Best Actor to Tommy Lee Jones* (Lewis has one already) and then the Best Picture to TWBB and Best Director to Paul Thomas Anderson, who finally made a great movie.

But what do I know, "The Wire" didn't even get nominated for an Emmy for Best Drama. AGAIN.

*apparently his nom was for a different movie? I never heard of In the Valley of Elah.

22. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  23. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is completely absurd, and proves that everyone involved with that award show is a tasteless moron.

On another note, I'm ashamed to say that I haven't yet seen There Will Be Blood. I actually have it, but haven't gotten around to watching it. Seems really intense, and methodical, so it's seems like I'd really have to be in the mood to watch something like that.

24. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may have to fully dedicate a night to watch TWBB. It's fairly long, and not the kind of movie you want to watch in parts.

25. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    And Arrested Development didn't win anything for it's incredibly brilliant 3rd and final season.

The Emmy's were the only major award ceremony that had a little bit of credibilty left (the Oscars and Grammys jumped the shark a longgg longgg time ago) but that went out the window as well.