The Most Hated Club in the Prem

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by choness2004, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    i don't see a problem with being the most hated club. It's not like you get points deducted b/c of that. There are few things i don't enjoy about Chelsea FC, but in general, the club is the same as all other clubs in the league. Like many people have said, if we were mid-table team, nobody would give a flying fcuk about us. Success brings the worst in people.

2. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Not quite a disorder as Liverpool are technically a big club by most standards, trophies, fanbase, revenue etc. Chelsea don't have nearly as much as any of those compared to Liverpool. Or United, or in fact many teams on the continent.

If they had to survive on their own revenue, Chelsea would be no bigger than Newcastle, Spurs or City. Remember that before Abramovich, Chelsea were in the situation that missing out on the Champions League just once would mean them imploding and being the next Leeds. This doesn't happen to MASSIVE CLUBS as their revenue stream is large enough to sustain them through lean periods. Therefore, Chelsea are not a big club.

Lucky, like a billionaire deus ex machina dropping in?

3. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    He wasn't 'yours'. You don't own people. He is free to seek employment anywhere he likes. It's called freedom of trade. I don't know what the hell a Director of Football is anyway. I would imagine however that Head Scout at Chelsea is a pretty important position.

4. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    :rolleyes:

Ok, so I'll disregard the first and most immediate example that disproves your point. Any other stipulations? Am I allowed to say Derby County? Nottingham Forest? Everton? Or even Liverpool?

In fact, never mind all that. Let's just focus on the fact that your retort is entirely irrelevant to the point I made in the part of my post that you quoted.

As is this. I've not criticised Chelsea for winning the league, indeed I have categorically stated that I don't consider them to have bought the title. What I was actually talking about (very obviously) was the resultant demeanour of the Chelsea fan base, new and old. On that level, they're indistinguishable from United's "supporters" and so either club winning is equally odious to the rest of humanity.

Please stop responding to my posts unless you can muster the necessary effort, intelligence and focus to actually make sense, say something valid and relevant and address the actual point being made.

5. Thats a fair point but what i'm getting at is that it just doesn't sit comfortably with me. I know every big team spends plenty of money but the sheer amounts Chelsea have in such a short space of time is ridiculous. They could go and blow another £30 million tomorrow if they wanted to. Maybe it's just me, i don't like to see how football has turned out. Wigan are another case, they were non-league not so long ago and now look at them. I just can't accept it! I guess i'm jealous really!

As for the fanbase - i'd prefer to blame the classless idiots living in the West Midlands or wherever for suddenly wearing Chelsea tops or letting their kids wear them instead of blaming the club itself.

6. luciusmagister

luciusmagister New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    Classless idiots they may be but I hope I don't see any kids wearing the hated jersey next time I'm in Stoke. There is way more dignity in wearing a "Potters" top then the "hated one", IMO. Stoke City Football Club is the second-oldest football league club in the world!

7. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    This thread is hilarious - it's a no holds barred bitch-slapping fest!

Everyone is just slagging of all rival clubs supporters - keep it up!

8. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There's a delicious irony in your admiration for Stoke City, given your earlier comments about your experience with notorious tattooed fuckwits from the earthier end of the political spectrum.

9. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, he HAD only won 5 trophies in 2 years at that stage including the UEFA cup. Understandable to not be interested in that....

And if you think Mourinho "can never find fault in himself" then you're clearly one of the idiots I was talking about before, who base their opinions on Sky Sports News and the out-of-context quotes provided on the back pages.

10. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Haha, yeah I guess so :D

I think a couple of people have misinterpreted the meaning of my use of MASSIVE club.

11. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Haha we can agree on something at last :D

12. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Or what, you'll dish out the dose of sectarian violence you claim to despise?

13. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    Not getting enough attention? What the fuck are you going on about, any semi intelligent person would realise I didn't mean own in the literal sense. Jesus Christ.

I can understand why you feel the need to stick up for Chelsea, in a lame attempt to join in with the banter, seeing as Bolton haven't really got a rivalry in the true sense of the word. Most of the clubs you seek to get heated with are busy eyeing up the better looking competition, unless you count Wigan, ROTFLMFAO.

14. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    that's nothing. Reading's biggest rivals are a non-league club!

15. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Sort of like how Arsenal supporters list their biggest rival as Manchester United?

16. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Which would be another rimshot from leg_breaker, seeing as the only genuine, organic rivalry Chelsea have with anyone is with tiny, boring little Fulham. Unless you count Leeds, of course, which only Chelsea fans do.

17. luciusmagister

luciusmagister New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    There is a bit of irony isn’t there? It was intentional. :D I thought it was humorous, but there is still more dignity in wearing their top as compared to the hated one. Just don’t wear it on the train to Cardiff because if you do.... it may go from humorous to riotous in short order. :D I love it when words have more than one meaning. ;)

18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    apologies.

how about "an inclination toward attributing his/his team's higher profile failures to factors other than himself/his team or the superiority on the day of his opponents"? better?

look, the entire purpose of my bringing up mourninho was, obviously, to point out that, despite my inclination to dislike things chelsea, and mourinho's ample provision of dislikable characteristics, i cannot deny that he's a good enough manager that i'd surely appreciate his presence and be among his defenders were he at my club.

but that's ok, because 1) i can't find fault in you defending mourninho when i've just said i'd be inclined to do the same, and 2) i'm not quite as quick to label taking things "out-of-context" as a badge of idiocy.

19. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Not quite. While the club claims to be founded in 1863 there is no clear documented evidence of the club existing until 1868. Five further clubs had been officially founded and documented before Stoke.

20. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    I'm talking about recent history. For the record, since the Premiership formed only two teams have won the league without sugar daddies, and they are both loaded.

Every successful team attracts horrible fans. Just look at all those 'five times' scousers who crawled out of the woodwork last year. I shudder to contemplate what they'd be like if they won the league.

21. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    In that case how you can have any criticism of Chelsea coming and offering him a better job? Maybe he realised that Spurs were going nowhere, despite being a 'massive' club.

Fortuanately I don't base my support on hating other teams. We used to have rivalries with other teams, but we left them in the lower leagues.

Like Spurs and Arsenal then?

22. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'd ignore everything Leg_breaker has to say, it's normally rubbish.

23. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well yes, that's a given.

24. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    Will you just fuck off?