The most famous players you have played against

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Excape Goat, Oct 23, 2004.

1. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    He now plays in New York's all-amateur Cosmopolitan League Division I with a team named Greek-Americans. Not tearing it up either.

I played against Kasey Keller and Chris Henderson in high school in the worst shellacing I've ever experienced. KK could've been drunk for all he had to do during that match.

2. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    I played on a team with Rudy Getzinger a few years back.

Played against Teddy Krafft a few times indoors.

3. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    In my days with ODP youth soccer I played against (and marked, in center mid) Kyle Martino (he played for Connecticut, I for NY-West in ODP Regional camp for U-16), and also played against Alecko Eskandarian (NY-East at the same camp). Cory Gibbs was also there, but I didn't play against him.

In club soccer I played against Kenny Arena (son of The Bruce, and current Metrostar benchwarmer), and he wasn't very impressive at all. His team was pretty good, I think they were called the Washington Diplomats, and were the VA state champs. I think we tied them.

My friend plays in the Pro Soccer League for San Diego, and he has played with, in PSL games, Chris Wingert (Brooklyn Knights...teamates) and Jordan Cila. He also scrimmaged the LA Galaxy and marked Carlos Ruiz. They got rocked and lost 7-1 I believe. This was last year.

4. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I was having a conversation with someone at a local bar during a US nat's game, and he claims Tab Ramos, John Harkes, C. Armas and a bunch of other older Nats guys played Cosmopolitan league awhile back..

Seems quite popular.

5. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    O.K. outside England these names may not mean anything come to think of it inside England these names may not mean anything but I have played against Steve Sidwell (ex Arsenal now at Reading), Alexis Nicolas (Chelsea) & Leon Britton (ex West Ham now at Swansea)
    Also, Wayne Routledge of Crystal Palace, we played at the same Sunday club he played 2 age groups below but we were the only good teams at the club so played with & against him in training

6. RIO17

RIO17 New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Soon to be Denver,CO
    I played on Robert Warzycha's team at a match arranged for local media at Columbus Crew stadium. He played for Poland and the Crew.

I also played pickup games with a guy from the Saudi Arabian national team named Abdulaziz...but they probably have a huge turnover. I haven't seen his name on any roster lately

- Joe

7. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    The team is named Greek-American Atlas, I believe. They're a powerhouse, quite possibly the best amateur side in America. My good friend John Lignos (New England Tea Men & US Nats) and former teammate Chris Karabatsis (Panathinaikos) played for them.

Giovanni didn't tear it up when I played against him either in an exhibition at Mitchell Field (Long Island RoughRiders v. Hota Bavarian), but he's one dangerous striker. have to keep an eye on him at all times and he never stops coming.

8. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Very possible. One hell of a league. I believe Tony Meola also played there.

9. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    i taught maradona and pele how to play soccer.

10. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    When I was 11 I went on a football course and David 'Rocky' Rocastle of Arsenal and England (RIP :( ) came along one day to show us a few tricks.

11. Zezinho

Zezinho New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Mississauga, ON
    I played football with someone who thought he was Pele :)

12. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm pretty sure I played against Kyle Martino when he was in high school.

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    played against a guy named Len Mecurio(sp) he was like the leading scorer in the country when he played for URI late 70s early 80s, also played for Lenny Mole, who use to play for the RI oceaneers, think he played pro in England too

14. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    When I was 12 I lived in England on an RAF base and a travelling Dutch team came over to play English squads. The rumor at the time was that the British schedulers assumed their players were better than the Dutch, so they scheduled younger teams to play the Dutch, and the Dutch were killing them and wanted to play older kids. Our base league had just organized an all star team and we were the right age, so we played them. One of the Dutch team's stars was Ruud Gullit. He played sweeper that day, and I, as the centre half, was told to mark him. I didn't play very well, I was the only 6th grader on a team filled with 7th and 8th graders, and was terribly self-conscious, but Ruud didn't get the better of me.

I've played numerous times with John Harkes. I went to UVa and was actually a practise squad player for three weeks. But we had a private, non-intramural soccer league filled with UVa students and Harkes played on a team. It was like he was playing with school kids. At the time, and for sometime after that, I thought he was the best player America had produced.

I've also played with Michelle Akers. Back when she was married to Robbie Stahl (may he rot wherever he is), Robbie did a series of coaching clinics that I attended. Michele came to them as a demo (God, I hate Robbie) and after the second clinic, she told me that I could play with her the next clinic, if I was coming. Obviously, I signed up. We had a litle game of 4 v 4 after the clinic was over in the hotel ball room. I was old and getting fat by then, but I did a Cruyff turn on her, which was so audacious given my general lack of fitness, that it brought the house down, literally. We called it a night after that.

15. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Off the top of my head I can say that I have played against every St. Louisian between about 20 and 40, guys like Ralston, Twellman, McKeon, etc. I am sure if I think about it I can come up with a few more.

16. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    I scored on Joe Cannon(MLS Crapids) in Highschool, it was a 25 yard bender.

Paul Bravo(MLS Crapids) He coached my team, his little brother was our GK.

Mark Douherty(MLS former Crew and Mutiny) went to my HS, he's way older, so i didn't get to play in games with him, just knock around.

Brian Johnson(Former Crew)Northern Cali State team.

CJ Brown(Fire) He has always been a hack.

17. S H LEE 13

S H LEE 13 New Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Rochester MN
    One of the Dutch team's stars was Ruud Gullit. He played sweeper that day, and I, as the centre half, was told to mark him.

The ruud Gullit, huh?? WOW!!!! i would honestly pay big money to even watch him play, much less play him. Jeez!!!

18. benito camelpene

May 31, 2003
    miami
    i've played against george weah and enzo franchescholi(i know i spelled this wrong) in a league here in miami.

19. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i played against santino quaranta in club ball and ricky charles (the guy from Grenada who scored against the U.S.) in college a few times, and played with danny karabaysoon who is now at arsenal in club.

20. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think i have played with that same guy ;)

21. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I absolutely DOMINATED Conor (Nationally Ranked) in a pickup game.

22. former baller

former baller New Member

Mar 10, 2002
    ...some players US fans might know.
    Rodney Marsh England/TampaRowdies, Paul Mariner England/AlbanyNY, Steve Wegerle Rowdies, Ray Hudson Strikers, Bruce Savage USA/Baltimore Blast, Teofillio Cubillas Peru/Strikers, Wim Surberior Holland, David Irving, Thomas Rongen, Don Ebert USA/St.Louis Steamers, Hugo Perez USA/Sand Diego, Chico Borja USA/Cosmos, Perry Van der Beck USA/Tampa Rowdies, Tab Ramos USA, Eric Eichman USA/MLS, Bruce Murray USA/MLS, Tony Meola USA/MLS, Robin Fraser USA/MLS, Steve Trittschuh USA/MLS, Mark Chung USA/MLS,.....

some teams...
    Rowdies, Strikers, Blackpool, Guadalajara, UNAM Pumas, Eindhoven, Dynamo Moscow

23. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, one more, possibly a gross omission earlier.

I'm pretty sure I played against Arturo Alvarez (San Jose Earthquakes) in high school. At least I played against his high school team in a preseason scrimmage. If he played, then I don't remember him individually.

24. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that a first or last name? I find the following players named Abdulaziz (either first or last) playing for Saudi Arabia at all levels:

Abdulaziz Khathran, WC 2002 team
    Abdulaziz Al-Dossary, played in a few senior NT matches in 1997
    Mohamed Abdulaziz, played only at youth levels (U-16, 1989)
    Abdulaziz Al-Razgan, played only at youth levels (U-16, 1985)

25. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    We've all played against someone who thinks they're either Pele or Maradona. ;)