The most complete player of all-time?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by y.o.n.k.o, Jan 28, 2011.

1. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I would never pick him as the most complete overall footballer but you are really barking mad.

2. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    highlight at least one thing that is false..

Cristiano is obviously phenomenal, but the common idea that he is in any way complete or that a player should be (or even can be) "complete" is nonsense.

It's a vanity metric thrown around to create a false, inflated image of a player as
    somehow being good at everything makes any difference.

The point is to be effective and useful in as many scenarios as possible. It doesn't matter whether player uses one tool, or 2134 tools.

In short, Cristiano is not complete, nor he needs to be.

3. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1528 carlito86, Sep 2, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    We can be here all day talking about what you got wrong.
    Like the very next thing you went on to say
    Phenomenal performers aren't benched and brought on for 10 minute cameo appearances

He was phenomenal and when he was you didn't watch him
    You are from and living in Slovakia if i recall correctly
    Im not really sure about premier league matches being broadcast there in the mid to late 2000s
    You can correct me If I'm wrong

Allow me to highlight the one thing you actually got right

You can ask Messi if he knows what carfty goalscoring is

If he knows
    you can come back and tell us all

Isaías Silva Serafim repped this.
  4. Isaías Silva Serafim

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 2, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Wow. a guy who "certainly hasn't mastered the art of carfty goalscoring" is the greatest goalscorer in history. lmao. you have no idea what you're talking about. must have started watching football yesterday

5. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I obviously didn't mean phenomenal today.. he is a shadow of himself, stubborn, individualstic, dreamer who is in love with himself (borderline narcissist) and can't face the reality that has been hitting him very hard since the day he left Real Madrid.

From Croatia. One doesn't need to watch every game as they happen to be qualified to speak about players, because if that's the rule, the forum should be erased. Nobody is qualified to talk about anything then.

Only in your mind this is about Messi. Messi is not a complete player, but Messi also doesn't have fandom whose number one argument why Messi is great is that he is complete player.

Cristiano falls flat on many fronts, even pacey, "dribbling god" Ronaldo from United 2007, 2008.

That's the truth

6. Isaías Silva Serafim

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 2, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    CR7 used to dominate and influence seemingly every single attack at United. He would get the ball deep in his own half and dribble the entire field repeatedly throughout a game and distribute the ball to shape attacks. But for you "He has been a winger with a knack for goals in penalty box since day one"

For you a player who has being able to out-jump every defender in the world to score headers and win/retain possession, out-sprint every player on every field that he takes, hit free-kicks from extremely long distances and acute angles, ability to switch to his weak side to dribble, shoot AND pass with almost equal effectiveness, shoot with devastating power and accuracy from 35 yards, possessed skills and foot-work while dribbling to create space and gain positional advantage, adapts to new teammates and managers without any dip on form from season to season, outstanding off the ball movement and uses his vision to anticipate space and breakdown defenses, 80%+ penalty taker "is not a complete player, not even close"

For you a player who did Rainbows, Rabonas, 360's, Elasticos, Chops, Cruyff Turns, Scissors or Step-Overs, etc... Shooted from back-heels and volleys or back-heel volleys..... bicycle's, scissor kicks, sliding/diving/flying in.... creating a shot or pass after using any of these aforementioned tricks/flicks/skills and use his shoulders, back, neck, knees, hips, or ass to flick or pass or shoot of course was a "really no versatility" and "Very repetitive goalscorer"

carlito86 repped this.
  7. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    then refresh my memory with youtube videos showing Ronaldo's playmaking performances in United days. Show me when did ever Ronaldo dictate tempo of the game, dominated midfield with passing and ability to perform in tight space in the midfield.

Yes, that is not a complete player, because regardless of all the skills you've listed and adjectives you used to describe them, he was missing all the things i've listed above, which by definition doesn't make him complete.

It's not my fault you are using impossible to prove premise and argument.

"win/retain possesion" lol.

Now you are just listing fundamental skills that 95% of players can do and using his mostly useless showboating as an evidence of any kind of completness.

So Giroud is a complete goalscorer. I didn't know that:

Plus, you are fusing Ronaldo from United days with Ronaldo in his latter stages of career. The dribbling Ronaldo from United days that could outpace everyone had never existed at the same time as clinical, deadily goalscorer in Real's days. You can't say he is a complete player and use evidence from when was 20 years old and 32 years old. You can't

8. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid

9. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1534 carlito86, Sep 3, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    This specific/one dimensional player has

Multiple games with 5 goals in a single match

Multiple games with 3 assists in a single match

Was the top scorer in 7 editions of the champions league
    2007/08
    2012/13
    2013/14
    2014/15
    2015/16
    2016/17
    2017/18

Was the top dribbler in one edition of the world cup(2006)

Was the top dribbler in one edition of the champions league(2006/07)

Was the top crosser in one edition of the premier league(2004/05)

A winner of 4 European golden shoes
    And top scorer in 3 major European leagues

You can talk about him bringing it all together against big teams in big matches

As a goalscorer
    +Dribbler
    + ball carrier

a4d88d6991d3752bb0801f0254db4b3f.jpg
    +

+

Penaldo who missed a goal in a champions league final shootout (2007/08)
    Penaldo who scored the winning goal in a champions league final shootout(2015/16)

From the highs to the lows
    He literally did it all to an extent that is almost fictional and unbelievable

You are here as a pseudo expert denying well established and well documented events

You make it seem as if he was Alexander the Great or Jesus christ living 2000+ years ago and historians now trying to puzzle the bits and pieces of their lives (or some even denying their existence)

This guy is plastered across the world,all his matches recorded in near pristine quality ,his stats documented by dozens if not hundreds of data collating websites

If you want to revise history talk about Pele with 30% of his matches preserved or puskas with 5% of his matches preserved or Arthur Friedrich with 0.1% of his matches preserved

If you know something then contribute if you don't then be silent
    Just an advice take it or leave it

The foolish one is the one who pretends he knows something he doesn't
    the clever individual is the one not afraid to ask questions

10. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    no, show me a video of Ronaldo vs some team, where he dictated the tempo of the game, or at least played attacking midfielder.

Not in a million years could Ronaldo succeed as a (offensive minded) midfielder and he is complete? just stop it.

His entire career Ronaldo has played as a winger, an inside forward or a striker in partnership with someone like Benzema... that is a versitility of basically every modern attacker and he is somehow complete compared to other world class attackers because he is a trickster? come on.

11. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1536 carlito86, Sep 4, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    After this please don't ask me to present examples without watching the ones presented already

Ill show you the best example of each variation in his career

Traditional winger 2012
    27 years old

Osasuna 1-5 Real Madrid

Cristiano ronaldos end product:
    2 goals+2 assists
    4 shots/3 on target
    4 key passes/Real Madrid as a team produced 9 key passes in total

Cristiano Ronaldos Whoscored rating:10/10

Real Madrids avg whoscored rating as a team:7.07 out of 10

=1 Man army

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/523347/Live/Spain-LaLiga-2011-2012-Osasuna-Real-Madrid
    This for me is actually his best ever performance in la liga
    In others he scored more or assisted more but the balance here between all round play/end product was completely perfect

Attacking midfielder/second striker 2008
    23 years old

Manchester United 4-0 Aston villa

Cristiano Ronaldos end product

1 goal+3 assists
    A backheel goal
    A cross assist
    A backheel assist from the centre midfield
    A nutmeg assist

Widely considered one of his best ever performances in the English premier league
    No whoscored ratings for this but english media rated it 8.90/10
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7316219.stm

Striker/CF 2019
    34 years old

Portugal 3-1 Switzerland
    https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...tions-League-A-2018-2019-Portugal-Switzerland

Cristiano ronaldos end product

5 shots/3 non penalty goals
    A direct freekick
    A one touch finish from near the edge of the box
    A solo goal
    3 dribbles completed
    30 passes/90% accuracy
    And this
    https://m.youtube.com/shorts/JpsPqYtsiRc

Cristiano ronaldos Whoscored rating vs Switzerland : 10/10

Portugals avg whoscored rating vs Switzerland:6.92

=1 man army and widely considered one of his best ever in a Portuguese NT shirt

For reference Diego Maradona was rated 10/10 vs England 1986 by whoscored

His teammates had a average rating of 7.04

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/815974/Live/International-FIFA-World-Cup-1986-Argentina-England

If someone doesn't like this "reference" they can take it up with Whoscored not me

Dribbling/ball carrying machine 2006
    21 years old

Benfica 0-1 Manchester United

1 assist
    14 opta dribbles completed

12. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    the fact you think that passing is what makes a midfielder says everything about your knowledge on football. It's unnecessary to continue conversation.

13. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Here is some homework for you

Find me a single example of a

Goal poacher

Centre forward

Inside forward

Wing forward

Winger

Who plays for a team that scores 5 goals in one match
    And he doesn't score from open play and he doesn't assist yet he is still MOTM

Real Madrid 5-1 Athletic Bilbao
    https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/335574/Live/Spain-LaLiga-2009-2010-Real-Madrid-Athletic-Bilbao

1 penalty+0 assists
    20220905_155940.JPG

Whoscored rating

MOTM

I want examples of modern day forwards

The likes of Arjen robben, Luis Suarez,Mohammed Salah,Karim 'selfless playmaker' Benzema,kylian mbappe and Zlatan ibrahimovic

You made the claim pretty much every modern attacker has gone though the same transitions as Cristiano

So you will surely definitely find one example

14. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    that should prove that he can play in the midfield? interesting how your brain works..

first of all, not many players played for teams that could score 5 goals in a single match on consistent basis so it's down to few players..

"You made the claim pretty much every modern attacker has gone though the same transitions as Cristiano"

i don't know what you are reading. With what kind of imaginary person are you arguing with?

It's impossible to discuss with you. You are strawmanning everything. You are blocking any serious dialogue because you are too afraid to reevaluate your stance.. is it really that frightening to find out that Ronaldo is not some perfect, complete player that you initially, naively believed, but actual is average at many things?

Ronaldo can't do a lot of things, and it is rather obvious, because if it were true, he would be goat, and he is nowhere near.

15. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    My god sexybeast you are really tragic

16. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1541 carlito86, Sep 6, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    Yeah it does leave few players genuis

The

few

players

i

actually

mentioned

Zlatan ibrahimovic

7th November 2015
    PSG 5-0 Toulouse

13th December 2015
    PSG 5-1 Lyon

23rd January 2015
    PSG 5-1 Angers
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_Paris_Saint-Germain_F.C._season

Kylian mbappe

20th August 2017
    PSG 6-2 Toulouse

8th September 2017
    Metz 1-5 PSG

30th September 2017
    PSG 6-2 Bordeaux
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Paris_Saint-Germain_F.C._season

Arjen robben

14th February 2015
    Bayern Munich 8-0 Hamburg

21st February 2015
    Bayern Munich 6-0 Paderborn 07

11th March 2015
    Bayern Munich 7-0 Shakhtar Dontetsk
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_FC_Bayern_Munich_season

Luis Suarez
    22nd November 2014
    Barcelona 5-1 Seville

7th December 2014
    Barcelona 5-1 Espanyol

20th December 2014
    Barcelona 5-0 Cordoba
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_FC_Barcelona_season

Mohammed Salah
    29th December 2018
    Liverpool 5-1 Arsenal

27th February 2019
    Liverpool 5-0 Watford

26th April 2019
    Liverpool 5-0 Huddersfield
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Liverpool_F.C._season

You did not do your homework sexy beast

I think you should be grounded so that means no internet access for a month.

17. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1542 carlito86, Sep 6, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    Commonly dare I say unanimously he is ranked in the top 10 greatest players of all time

So we say for the sake of argument Messi is first and Cristiano is 10th

With 275 million active soccer players, there are 128,983 players that do it professionally.
    https://soccerprime.com/how-many-soccer-players-in-the-world/#:~:text=With 275 million active soccer,players that do it professionally.

Forget about any player from the 1880s to the year 2000

Is he closer to 1st or is he closer to the 128,983rd?

If you respond it means you are secretly using the internet even though you are grounded.
    So ill prefer if you don't my child

Ruud gullit is more complete then your GOAT
    He is in fact definitely more complete then your GOAT

Arguably even Frank riijkard your ex manager who you probably didnt even know was your ex manager

Look at his CL final performances in 1990 and 1995

Cristiano Ronaldo was a complete attacker and world class in every function of attacking play except through balling which is,was and likely always will be his Achilles heel.

Shooting/Dribbling/crossing/heading/link up play/assisting/creating chances/Set pieces

At his peak he was that guy

Complete player he is not though and he doesn't have to be

Those who are arguably better than him are so because they are better then him at the aforementioned qualities

Not because they can do more things then him

18. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I clearly talked about positional versatility. Winger-inside forward-striker. Nothing less, nothing more.. there are countless of players today that have that kind of versatility and more. And that is a fact!

the fact that you interpret that however you want is the exactly the type of mental gymnastics you do all the time. You are strawmaning me all the time. Your reading comprehension is abysmal. it's not worth talking to you at all

19. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    homework?

List all of 5+ goals game in Cristiano's career and for every one of those players. To say that Cristiano has had much better teams in his career than any of those players is a huge understatement.

And you use Mbappe for God's sake. He is 23 year old.

And that whoscored rating means nothing, absolutely nothing. plus he scored a penalty which is 0,3-0,5 points more on that number. And that is one single algorithm, there are many different football algorithms. And they are skewed towards attackers in the first place, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I can easily destroy that argument, because it is straight out stupid and nitpicking but you are not worth that time.

You are deluded man.

20. Cruyff14910

Cruyff14910 New Member

Netherlands
    Jan 2, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Cruyff and Di Stefano are my picks.
    I prefer Cruyff because of his ability to play as a winger.
    Di Stefano was not active in the side positions..
    Cruyff could play in all 11 positions.
    He played as a defender against Las Palmas in the Copa del Rey 78 final.
    He can be a defender, midfielder and striker at the same time (Aston Villa 78).
    3-10: Beckenbauer, Pele, Matthäus, Gullit, Valentino Mazzola, John Charles, Bobby Charlton, Leo Messi

AD78, ffff15 and Edhardy repped this.
  21. aidin

aidin New Member

united
    Brazil
    Oct 5, 2022
    in My opanian
    for all of them I have a reason but maybe some opanian is Different s
    1- Di Stefano
    2- Cruyff
    3-Gullit
    4- Beckenbauer
    5-Mattheus
    6-Pele
    7- Mazzola
    8-Maldini
    9-Charlton
    10-Cristiano
    11-Charles
    12-Puskas
    13-Messi
    14-Zico
    15-Valentino

Among goalkeepers, Neuer is probably the most complete goalkeeper in history

22. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

23. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    i have no objection to Cruyff and Di Stefano being the most complete players
    But Maradona
    he could score, pass, dribble and control
    he played in all attacking positions
    the only difference between him and Messi is that he played further back

24. aidin

aidin New Member

united
    Brazil
    Oct 5, 2022
    I think it was the worst whistle I gave
    The 15th rank for me is Roberto Carlos. It's really strange why I wrote this at that moment

Mate!
    I think you like to laugh a lot, right?
    It's okay, just be careful, maybe one day the toothbrush will be expensive

25. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    You are a fanatic fan, ronaldo isn't among the top 8 players in history. he is just a complete striker