The Most Amazing Movie Theatre In America...

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Footix, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    is "The Arclight" on Sunset in Hollywood.

Gigantic screens, properly lit projection, big comfortable chairs in stadium rows, amazing and appropriate sound system, broad selection of films, reserved seating (not just reserved tickets, you can pick your exact seat!), the theatre's own film festivials and series, frequent viewer points, fantastic cafe, a gift shop with things you'd actually want to buy, and most importantly...

quiet and respectful audiences.

I've never enjoyed the experience of going to a theatre as much as I did at The Arclight.

Bonus points for being able to chat with Rose McGowan & Ahmet Zappa about the merits of popcorn butter while standing in the concession line ;) .

http://www.arclightcinemas.com/about.jsp

2. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Fixed your post.

(only kidding).

3. boots15

boots15 New Member

Sep 19, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    The best movie theatre is in my basement, my friends call it the 'cribs' theatre. You can't beat staying at home to watch movies.

4. My room >>>>> IMAX Theater

Thanks

5. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Alamo Draught House in Austin, where on Blaxploitation Night, you get a free 40 oz. malt liquor with purchase of your ticket to "Trouble Man."

6. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does McGowan look as good in person as on TV and how tall is she? Inquiring minds need to know! :D

7. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope for $11 bucks it's that good. Man that's expensive. What comes closest to the experience in NYC, the Ziegfield?

8. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    I think the screen I saw was bigger than the Ziegfeld's, and that wasn't even the main room. I can't think of a room in NYC to compare. This place is so state-of-the-art that I can't imagine many places could compare.

The regular price is actually $14 bucks per show (!!), but you get 3 bucks off when you sign up for their free membership/points club, which also entitles you to occasional invites to pre-screenings, festivals, and other actually worthwhile stuff. I'm know some old-schoolers are totally turned off by these new-fangled ideas, but I like 'em.

9. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Bob. But, what about answering the most important question? How does McGowan look and how tall?

Also, I gather they are using real projectors and not the digital garbage hence it's name.

10. Red Star Metro

Red Star Metro New Member

Apr 27, 1999
    and you didn't shoot him? :(

11. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    She's super cute. I'd say she's about 5'5'.

They are equipped with both...they were showing Star Wars in digital there.

12. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX

ding ding ding we have a winner.

Can't beat movies, and beers and ice cream and dinner.

During Spike and Mike's Sick and Twisted animation festival you can even see a good piercing (not ear or breast or male genitila) as well. Throw in a couple other freaky events which I don't even want to describe. Its a blast.

13. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    My vote goes for a place called "Reel Pizza" in Bar Harbor, Maine. A good selection of microbrews on tap, excellent pizza with lots of different toppings available, and a movie theater that is a collection of couches, love seats and coffee tables. It's like having a bar & pizzeria in your home. Only five bucks in!

14. brubbabriggs

brubbabriggs New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    I wish all theatres would go with the reserved seating. Combine that with theatres not allowing overnight lines and maybe the fools who camp out for months to see Star Wars as a publicity stunt will be out of luck...

15. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    I enjoy those guys! I can't get enough of adults in costumes and phony weapons camping out in urban settings. I especially like to watch them interviewed on TV....when asked why they do it, they always stutter a bit and come out with something like "I'm not sure, I'm a big fan". Priceless, if you ask me...

16. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I pray that you've seen the Triumph the comic dog's bit on the people waiting outside of star wars. It's killer. (walk's up to a guy in a darth vader costume "Which one of these buttons calls your mother to pick you up?").

I'll get the link if anyone needs it.

17. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    I haven't and I'd love to.

18. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Just found this on Kazaa. Killer.

19. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Someone just sent me this link...it's still funny having seen it several times already:

http://www.javatron.com/nerdwars/

20. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    To a woman:

"what's it like to be surrounded by so many men who have no idea how to satisfy you?"