The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. doog

doog Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Do you remember Hachiko?

AndyMead, jayd8888, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  2. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    i try not to.

AndyMead, jayd8888, terrier and 2 others repped this.
  3. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Hold on to your hats, here's a four week old photo of a small hole in the ground on the DCU stadium site. I;ll bet it's a bigger hole now.

https://instagram.com/p/BFjIxhgqANN/

Lancaster FC repped this.
  4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've hired some day laborers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Soccerglue repped this.
  5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a lot of ugly looking flying bugs crawling around that camera.

6. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va

7. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dang that's actual progress without a webcam or press release!!

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That's still the District working on the site.

9. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    This is Florida. Those are the small, cute bugs.

10. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what work are they doing? was their contamination or clean up that had to be done?

11. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Given that a scrap yard used to sit on part of the site I assume that some contamination clean up is necessary. An as sitruc mentioned, that's being done by the District before handing the site over to DCU for construction. Turnover of the site is supposed to be October 1.

12. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    So in other words it will be sometime in 2020. ;)

13. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Here is DC all progress is just 60-90 days away. And it might even be true this time....

Lancaster FC repped this.
  14. usadcu

usadcu Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    There is a lot of infrastructure work being done in that area, not only at the exact stadium site, but the blocks around it. As I understand it, there are sewer, power, and communication lines being put in there for use of the - potentially - several developments to come in that area. Or maybe I heard wrong. I can at least attest to the buzz of work over there as I've cycled by to and from Nats games this year.

I think that there have been several things on that site in the past which could have left bad things hidden under ground there. Hopefully, none of them are serious roadblocks...but that's my personal last hold back to getting excited that this is all going to happen. Once the foundations and footings are dug and set, and no long remediation process is needed, then I'll believe.

15. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Thanks for the info. I work for the county and heard today that the renovated Lincolnia Community Center looks real nice. There's a re-opening ceremony there this weekend I think.

16. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As i see the model I am confused--the stadium stands behind the northern goal post (where the score board is) will be incomplete. What is that huge hole with that low grey building?

Soccerglue repped this.
  17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's just another poorly thought out area since the design ideas were confused from iteration to iteration. That building has ~5 suites and club seating.

tigersoccer2005 repped this.
  18. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for clearing that up--I guess now it makes sense. It might have been nicer aesthetically if the suites with club seating had been incorporated into the stands of the stadium, but i guess a separate building might work just as well.

19. usadcu

usadcu Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I believe there are suites in the stands. The box structure will just have more of them.

20. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
  21. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plenty of $15-20 tickets offered at Toyota Park.

22. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Just got our season ticket renewals for the new stadium in Orlando. Interesting stuff. The basic ticket prices remained the same. But then they designated different places as "premium" seating. For example, the first row of each section is "premium" and it carries a pretty hefty premium. Because I was on the end of a row, the computer decided I should get "premium" seating in the new stadium. So I'm on the first row of tier two instead of towards the back of field level where the rest of the people in my section are, including people that bought after me. I suppose that is all well and good, and maybe the first row of Tier two is actually a better seat. But the "premium" is over 50%. So even if the seat is better, it doesn't appear to me to be 50% better. And I'd rather be with the same group of people I've been sitting with now. The good news is that I "should" be able to move. Maybe. But first I have to renew at a higher price and then "maybe" I get closer to where I'd like to be which is actually more similar to where I am now.

But I digress. The non-premium areas are only a small price increase over this year. So eventually it will all work itself out, I suppose.

23. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    The level of support in Orlando is great thus far. Of course the team is still new and no really bad seasons yet, but that doesn't take away from what supporters' have accomplished.

Here in DC there are 10-15K pretty loyal fans, and I think ownership will try to impose as high a ticket price as possible on them in the new stadium. I'm not criticizing - that's what's going its to take start bringing in enough revenue to justify owners spending more on talent. With ownership investing $150 million in stadium construction I'[m willing to pay more. But not too much I hope.....

24. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    There's trouble in Twin Cities. Necessary stadium tax breaks were not approved due to an error in drafting the budget bill. Everyone seems to believe that it will happen, but will have to wait until the next legislative session unless the governor calls a special summer session. Everything you want to know, and more, in this article.

LAFC takes possession of the LA Sports Arena by July 23, at which point the walls come tumblin' down.

St. Paul’s soccer stadium was supposed to break ground in June. What happens now?

25. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    FWIW I drove around that Midway site. Might actually prefer it to the stadium end of Minneapolis. In addition to transit options and colleges and people actually living right nearby, there's a boutique pubby main street on one side and more low-down diversity on the other. It could be amazing, and a remarkable, uniting landmark for the Twin Cities.

However, the security guard patrolling the empty lots said the Loon's owners haven't even had a conversation with the folks who own the surrounding retail and some of the lots. Not a great sign.