The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I don't like the open corner, which appears to accommodate a bar. Wrap the stands around and create some real atmosphere.

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's open for nonexistent views of the Capitol Building.:sleep:

3. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    I'm keeping an open mind on the open design. My fantasy is that it has a throw-back look, like Arsenal'sHighbury Stadium, at which I saw a game in 1989. I almost got beat up right about where the lower case "a" is on the bottom right street.

[​IMG]

uclacarlos and Three and Three repped this.
  4. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Another design cliché.

5. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I like open corners, but that of the DC rendering is absurd.

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Although it was obvious to many without even knowing the area, even the PUD details show there will be no view of the Capitol.

7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I can talk about the Los Angeles stadium site. It's literally in the shadow of the Coliseum (right next to it, closer to the street, but further from the parking lot). It's doubtful they'll be able to hold events on days the Coliseum is in use due to lack of parking (The Coliseum doesn't even have enough parking for itself). It's also across the street from USC - not sure if any students will attend professional soccer games, but its a huge student body. There is a train stop nearby, which is beginning to actually mean something here in L.A. (especially to hipsters, which seems to be the target audience for LAFC). It's also next to the Science Center (space shuttle) and Rose Garden, so it's in a relatively touristy area. Not really a party area though.

I think LAFC's goal is to become LA's soccer team, and make the Galaxy the team for the OC and South Bay, but I don't know why they are building such a small stadium.

8. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Has there been any discussion of LAFC using the Coliseum for a couple big games a year like Montreal uses Olympic Stadium? It sounds like the LA site is similar to Montreal, where the SSS is right next to Olympic Stadium and other Olympic facilities that have been converted to museums and such.

9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The only remaining Olympic facilities in that cluster are now the Coliseum and the outdoor swimming pool. I haven't heard anything about playing big games at the Coliseum, though it would make sense. The only problem is that the Coliseum seats 93k and with weird sightlines (being a track stadium originally). I did hear they are reducing it to a more manageable 74k starting next year with the Rams moving in, which would be more manageable.

10. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    From what I am reading, the Rams plan to tarp off up to 25,000 seats per game :)

Lancaster FC repped this.
  11. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Another key fact for the LAFC stadium location - its only 15 minutes up the 110 Freeway from the Stubhub Center. Any Galaxy fans from the east side will literally go right past the LAFC stadium on their way to Galaxy games...

12. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there I fixed it...

how long that takes can vary in a Huge way!.
    [​IMG]

13. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Nah, that part of the freeway is rarely very busy. I've taken that route ~20 times and it always takes 15-20 minutes from the coliseum to the stub hub center.

14. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Thanks for the info. Is the Coliseum grass or artificial turf?

15. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Grass as far as I know. Also a bit of research reveals that LAFC does plan to play some games at the Coliseum in the near future. One of their owners said he envisions Galaxy-LAFC selling out the Coliseum (which will be at 78k capacity by the time LAFC comes to be)

16. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Having the Coliseum next door is an advantage for the LAFC site, assuming it can be rented at a reasonable cost for a couple games a year. It gives the chance to offer some discounted (not free!) tickets to youth clubs and casual fans. A downside of small SSS's is that the hoped for scarcity of tickets also reduces the clubs' ability to draw in the next generation of fans with game experiences. With the big stadium next to the SSS season ticket holders won't have to change their pre-game routines for those couple of "big games".

In another universe DC United could play a game or two at Fedex Field, our NFL stadium. But the greedy owner added some corner seats that narrow the field, and he'd gouge us on rental cost anyway.

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Blame Snyder is popular, but he didn't add "some corner seats." Several rows were added in front of the original first row. That was done well before United began to limit capacity of RFK... and there's the matter of RFK always being capable of seating more than normal attendance so why move to a different venue for the ******** of it? There has only been one regular season game at FedEx and that was because SUM had to convince the absent FO that would be good for them financially.

18. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The biggest problem with the Coliseum is that it's very far from a modern stadium. It's a single level giant bowl, where even 50k would look desolate. That place needs to either be packed, or it looks empty.

I suppose the $250 million renovation might improve some of that by 2019.

19. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    This is a very wrong statement. First off, every front office caps season ticket sales for the express purpose of having single game tickets available to expose a larger percentage of the market to the game day experience. The younger generation is likely only going to come to one or two games a year with their family or friends anyway. Which do you think is going to make a greater impression on a young fan - going to a game in a 20-25k sold out stadium that is absolutely crazy, or going to a game in a 70k seat stadium that is 1/3 empty on a night where half the fans there were given free tickets and have no real attachment to the team?

20. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Strong stuff there. I'll assume that like me you are a season ticket holder for an MLS club. I also have two teenage kids. Here's my line of reasoning. At least in DC one of the results of moving into a SSS will be a significant increase in ticket prices. The cheapest ticket now is about $25, and I'm guessing that in our new stadium it will go up to $35-$40. That's how you pay the freight with a stadium that only seats 19-20K. I think it's unlikely that in small SSS's you'll see many $15-$20 tickers being offered to youth groups, because the goal is to maximize revenue in a limited capacity stadium. I live in one of the most affluent areas of the country, but if I tried to convince one of my kids' teams to go to a DCU game at $40 a pop I'd get a lot of thanks but no thanks. There's nothing we can do about that in DC, but my point regarding LA is that scheduling a couple of games in a larger venue would provide the opportunity to sell $15-$20 tickets to youth groups that would not be made available in a 22K venue.

By the way, I would hope that a Galaxy - LAFC game in front of 50K+ fans would be at least a little exciting.

21. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I doubt this, though I hate to speculate. The Galaxy, which is one of the most if not the THE most expensive ticket in MLS, still has $25 single game tickets available. San Jose, which is one of the more expensive markets in the league and has a small capacity of 18K still has single game tickets available for $28.

Now, if your belief is that DC's cheapest ticket is going to be nearly double that of what is already some of the most expensive ticket prices in the league, in some of the most affluent markets in the league, then you are entitled to that belief. I personally am HIGHLY skeptical that the cheap seats are going to go up by that much. (That would be a 60% increase) Especially considering that in most instances its the premium seats that see the greatest price increase in a new venue (luxury suites, sideline, midfield).

Lets say I'm wrong about the cheap seats remaining around $25 and you're wrong about them skyrocketing to $40. Split the difference and say they're around $32. Still not cheap. That said, every single team in the league has group sale discounts starting at 10 tickets. Those discounts can be as high as 28% off the ticket price. Lets assume a 15% group rate discount at a $32 ticket would be roughly $27 per ticket. Carpool to save on parking, and that's a lot easier of a pill to swallow for your kid's teammates' parents. (and I still believe that the actual starting price will be cheaper than the discounted price in my example).

I'm not saying that LAFC won't play any games at the Colosseum. I'm arguing against your point that in order to bring the next generation of fans to the stadium MLS teams need to give away free tickets or sell them as loss leaders at grossly discounted prices. That simply isn't true anymore.

There is a very good reason why more and more teams have severely scaled back the AYSO marketing strategy. It doesn't work and it isn't necessary.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    United's ticket prices came down a little on some sections in the past two years. Likewise, many sections were re-zoned. Some ticket prices may not increase by much technically, but that will be due to labeling of sections in the new venue versus RFK. I do not expect United tickets to stay at the price they are now. They won't double though. As for parking, there won't be much in the immediate area. I believe RFK lots are $20. It's more for many remaining areas near Nats Park. Regardless, it's a hike that may be longer than the Metro stations. Metrorail isn't exactly cheap when going as a group.

//I have my plans already, but I'm not sharing because ******** all y'all

23. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    That's a well reasoned analysis. It will be interesting to see how tickets prices play out in these new venues. One of the gimmicks of small SSS's is that to the extent cheap tickets are available, there are very few of them. The upside of the small size is that there are very few bad seats. The downside is that fans pay a premium for all those good seats.

One small correction - I very intentionally never said anything about free tickets. I am completely opposed to free tickets because they cheapen the product. I'm old enough to have attended NASL games, and I only paid for about half the games I attended, and I knew people who never paid. There were too many free tickets being offered. I don't have a problem with discounted youth tickets, but never free.

On another subject, there's a hold up on the Minnesota project over state budget issues. Seems like it will be resolved. I'm not sure how far it will push construction back, if at all.

24. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
  25. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    I think Minnesota is first in with a site plan review document. Leave it up on your screen and your boss will think you're actually working.

MNUFC Stadium Site Plan Review

4four4, Bluecat82 and Boloni86 repped this.