The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  2. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    You get one corporate name, then you become "the MLS stadium in downtown LA" or "the NHL stadium in Vancouver" or whatever.

Chesco United and sitruc repped this.
  3. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The arena where the Capitals and Wizards play in DC is that way for me. It was the MCI Center and then changed to the Verizon Center and immediately people just started calling it the phone booth. Now it's the Capital One Arena and I struggle to remember that because it's not phone related.

4. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah. It's still GIANTS STADIUM over there in the Meadowlands, no matter what they want to call it.

5. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Known nationally as "the NFL stadium in Northern New Jersey"

6. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    #6106 Ray Shoesmith, Jul 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    They will need ferries. To get to that location from anywhere south of Boston will be a pain in the ass. Ferries will be fun and easy. and there are plenty. I stay south of Boston when I have to work there, and I take a ferry, and I wouldn’t think twice about taking a ferry to and from matches there. They serve drinks on the commuter ferries also. That would be fun.

AlbertCamus, VioletCrown and Papin repped this.
  7. Onionrings

Onionrings Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    This has basically come full circle, hasn't it? If I am looking at the right play it is less than a mile from where the originally proposed stadium was supposed to be.

9. Onionrings

Onionrings Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Flushing Meadows Park is a stones throw away.

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  10. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  11. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've been pursuing locations in Bronx and Queens concurrently. I'm not sure if the Bronx is officially out, or just falling behind in priority. The scuttlebutt is that we are going to build/expand a temp venue until a new stadium is built.
    The club says absolutely nothing other than boilerplate "we are exploring all.... We are committed to..." so I do believe that this piece from the Post was instigated and sourced from a source outside of the club, not a club driven piece to sell tickets.

harrylee773 and RafaLarios repped this.
  12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bronx is still stuck over 700 parking spaces.

It's not like Yankee Stadium sells out any more.

13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say, aside from the awful Sacramento setback, MLS seems to be doing well. Though Charlotte's switch to turf also sucks.

Still, it seems as if some the thornier stadium issues have been resolved recently, and some are getting close.

Thorns removed
    1. DC finall over the line (impending roof finish).
    2. Fire out of Bridgeview.
    3. Columbus/Austin situation resolved.
    4. Miami approved.

Close to removal
    1. Revs
    2. NYCFC

To go:
    1. Permanent Fire House.

Fire House #3.

If the Revs/Citeh deals get done soon, they and Miami could be done by 2025. Pre-World Cup.

I think Garble will want all the stadium stuff sorted pre-WC, then he can focus on expansion again afterwards

canammj and harrylee773 repped this.
  14. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    =====================
    Like your list !
    I add a couple small other items.
    -Make sure a new stadium in Boston is grass
    -I am pretty sure Miami will be from the get go and any NYCFC project
    -We know St Louis is already a nice grass field
    -Convince Charlotte to go back to grass
    -Get Merritt in Portland to think about it some more

Then to me, if my list happens, the only stadium blemishes would be the turf/domes in Atlanta and Vancouver and turf in Seattle. I think that would then be only 3 of 29 with plastic fields- not bad

TrueCrew repped this.
  15. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with wanting grass everywhere. But I doubt MLS considers the stadium situations in Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, and Charlotte problematic, given the attendance numbers.

Getting MLS SSS built in NYC, Boston, Miami, and Chicago would really put a gleam in Garble's eye.

Soldier Field is fine temporarily, but Bridgeview was killing the Fire. Gillette isn't helping the Revs, either. And having the champs being nomadic is just embarrassing.

harrylee773 and canammj repped this.
  16. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    The Bronx has been trying to shake down the sheiks. I would give a great Bronx cheer to the Bronx for blowing this one.

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean the Yankees stand to make money from having 17 NYCFC games in the Bronx just from the car parking. Even if it's $10 a car its close to $1 million a year.

SetPeace repped this.
  18. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to St. Louis today for the first time in a while, and Centene Stadium looked pretty nice from I-64. Of course, I was doing 65 m.p.h. and I didn't have time to give it a good look over. :thumbsup:

TrueCrew, VioletCrown and harrylee773 repped this.
  19. midfielder467

midfielder467 Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
  20. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -------------------------
    Don't live in NY, but have visited plenty
    I personally like the Hudson River yard project, one of my concerns with it is close to the river and climate change and waters rising after storms ??

Bronx is next best
    I feel Flushing/Mets seems kind of far out and really only 1 subway route.
    I believe the other 2 options are closer in, so transit access is probably better- that would have to be answered by a local.

Another place I had thought about was putting the stadium over part of the huge Amtrak yard by the East River. Would probably be an engineering challenge, not sure what local transit access would be like, but Amtrak would probably take the $$$ for air rights if it could work

21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could 2025 see stadiums finished in Miami, NYC, and Boston?

Jumping the gun a bit, but one is in the pipe, and the other two are looking more likely by the day.

22. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ======================

Quick update on my travels:
    =Charlotte FC game, parking was kind of a zoo trying to enter an office building on a Wednesday work day when all the workers leaving.
    DC United looked really bad and Charlotte ran all over them. Rooney has some work to do ! Decent crowed- I think 27k. No weather or lightening delays. Despite a lot of CFC graphics all through out the building and concourse, still was an NFL stadium in my observations. Team store was amazingly busy and well stocked. Hadn't seen a game on a plastic field since my trip to Atlanta a few years back and yep, plastic still sucks.
    When my local LAFC team can have 5-6 concerts a year and have 2 full time soccer teams playing and still puts out a beautiful grass field, Charlotte should be able to do the same.

Never made the AAA baseball game, I had taken the train up to Raleigh for the day and on the way back, our train hit a truck and trailer that got stuck on the tracks, so we were 3-4 hours late getting back, so I skipped the game

Charlotte Independence game on Friday was both cool and sad.
    They did a incredible job on refurbishing American Legion Memorial Stadium, kept some of the historical features and even old photos on the walls of what it looked like before. Huge easy in , easy out parking garage. While plastic field , it was incredibly wide- lots of room on side lines. Capacity cut from 20k+ to 10,500 perfect for USL . The sad part there was no one there. The USL sit said 1,400. I counted heads, maybe 500. I had a fan tell me the owner of this team has the right from USL to move his franchise somewhere else because MLS moved into his market. Anyone know if that is true?

Nashville game was crazy, 7 goals. Weather held. Stadium is amazing and better in person than what I had seen on TV. Second deck seat, halfway up and could see the end line without having to get up or lean forward. Very well designed. Down votes for wildly crazy expensive food ($13 hot dogs and I think $15 for a large can of beer). Needless to say, I ate and drank after the game.
    Parking was funny. I took $100 cash with me and got to stadium 3 hours before kick. I ended up with no traffic and parked on guys lawn for $20.
    Great location and was out of the area quick after the game heading back to the airport. Guy said he got 32 cars on his property for opening day, so I am guessing he charged a lot more and made a small fortune. Aw, capitalism at its finest.
    Overall, a really good trip and can't wait for next years trip !
    Hope to make a St Louis & Cincy trip and if Louisville or Indy are home, maybe even fit them in!

23. DCW531

DCW531 Member

City SC
    Jan 31, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    Latest (last) flyover over video from St. Louis.

canammj, VioletCrown, SetPeace and 2 others repped this.
  24. DCW531

DCW531 Member

City SC
    Jan 31, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    SetPeace repped this.