The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I guess I went to all three for the Rapids, but forgot about the middle one. I think my kids were babies then so didn't go as much.
    I should never have doubted you, master.
    We have a winner. Although if you've never been to Colorado you have not lived full life really.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It helps when you've followed your team in 5 different divisions. Plus geographically England isn't that difficult to get around.

FoxBoro 143 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  3. Onionrings

Onionrings Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6053 Onionrings, Jun 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    My list isn't that impressive.

Saw the Cosmos at the old Yankee Stadium a couple of times, once at Shea Stadium and numerous times at Giants Stadium. Went up to see them once at Olympic Stadium in Montreal and once at RFK Stadium vs the Dips.

NYCFC any number of times at the new stadium.

Saw Spurs take on Nottingham Forest at the old White Hart Lane back in 1983. It was almost 40 years ago, so don't hold my feet to the fire on this one, but I believe that might have been the first 1st Division match played on a Sunday? televised since 1960. (I looked it up)

AlbertCamus repped this.
  4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe it was that long ago.

I don't think it was the first match in a Sunday because I think Notts had experimented with a Sunday match before then.

Onionrings repped this.
  5. Onionrings

Onionrings Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember getting to my hotel early Sunday morning and iirc in those days everything was played on Saturday. I asked at the front desk if per chance there happened to be a match that afternoon (thinking 2nd or 3rd division) and when they told me about Spurs - Forest my knees buckled. :ROFLMAO:

It was a long time ago and I remember there was something special about the match, so I looked it up.

AlbertCamus and SetPeace repped this.
  6. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm......

edcrocker, AZUL GALAXY and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  7. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must be season renewal ticket time again

stanger, USA94, NFLPatriot and 1 other person repped this.
  8. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's right, though. Someday, the Patriots will probably replace Gillette, and the Revs would presumably move into the new digs with them.

Atlanta replaces stadiums around the 20-25 year mark, so that time might be coming very soon. They're almost in Boston, though, and those guys keep stadiums a little longer. Foxboro was over 30 years old, and Fenway's at least 30 years old. Gillette is 20 right now.

9. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    understatement of the year.!! :D

I don't think the patriots are moving anywhere soon, Kraft announced a couple of months ago a big investment on the lighthouse and around the stadium. I do think 20 more years of gillette are still in order. (It is still a very nice stadium, I went there in december 2019 and it is really good, the only problem is being so far from Boston)

10. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Replacing stadiums after 20 or 25 years is ridiculous, and only happens because they sucker the public into paying for it.

sitruc, AZUL GALAXY, SabreKhan and 4 others repped this.
  11. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I agree wholeheartedly 20 years is nothing for a stadium, unless it was built cheaply to begin with. The stadium in my town was built in 1953 so next year will have 70 years. It was a barebones stadium from the start and it had some renovations, but now for all intents and purposes is a dump.

The standard for US stadiums is so high that replacing a stadium within 20-25 years is scandalous for me.

sitruc, AlbertCamus and VioletCrown repped this.
  12. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's one in Rome that, with a little remodeling, could still be used. I think it's been around for about 2,000 years.

sitruc, AZUL GALAXY, AlbertCamus and 3 others repped this.
  13. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    As RafaLarios mentioned, said stadium is currently in the midst of a $225 million renovation project that began six months ago.

There's going to be a new plaza and entrance at Gillette Stadium's north end, anchored by a taller, more prominent "lighthouse" element. The new tower will stand 218 feet tall and feature a 360-degree observation deck at its peak.

Inside the stadium, 75,000 square feet of glass-enclosed hospitality space is being constructed to fill the north end gap between the East and West Putnam Clubs, the Dell Technologies Suite Levels, and the upper concourse. This will mean that all levels of the stadium will now feature 360-degree connectivity.

Finally, the renovation will see installation of a 22,200 square foot, curved, high-definition video board above the stadium's north end seating.

sitruc, edcrocker and RafaLarios repped this.
  14. Onionrings

Onionrings Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To my knowledge there's only one luxury box in the building, so they better have plans to add more.

15. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, at this point, I say just rig il Stadio Olimpico with some lion pits. Probably cheaper that way.

RafaLarios and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  16. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  17. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The Bears stadium saga is a bit amusing. The politicians don't want to pay for a new stadium or roof on Soldier Field. They also don't want to be blamed if the Bears move to Arlington Heights. So they make offers they hope will be refused so they can avoid blame.

sitruc and harrylee773 repped this.
  18. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Chicago should tell the NFL to piss off and build their own stadium if they want one. And if the bears do move to the suburbs, they can replace soldier field in time with something small for soccer, or make a park or something in that lake side space. And by the way, FIFA should have given WC games to Soldier Field, I think it looked great for soccer, and it is far north enough that a dome to protect from summer heat day games isn't needed (at least for 1st round games). FIFA likes dome stadiums because they are climate controlled, but they have not gone all dome.

https://www.fieldofschemes.com/2022...that-would-almost-certainly-be-a-money-loser/

19. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA doesn't give games to cities that don't bid for them.

KCFutbol and sitruc repped this.
  20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago didn't want FIFA.

As for the Bears, there's obviously some value in having them based in the city and any subsidy or tax breaks should reflect but not exceed that.

21. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My list starts before I was a soccer fan.

I watched the KC Spurs practice in 1968 at Old Municipal Park field in KC MO.

I saw a Dallas NASL game in the old Dallas Cowboy stadium in 1978 vs a team I don't remember. I just remember all the football lines on the artificial turf.

In the mid 90's I saw USNMT vs Mexico at sold out Rose Bowl and Peru vs Poland I think the gold cup?? I remember 97% of the fans were for Mexico, attendance was capacity.. I can't remember how many that is.. alot.. It was the game that Alexi Lalas got kicked in the nuts. Everyone saw it but the ref.

I saw two games in the 94 world cup at the cotton bowl. West Germany vs S Korea and Bulgaria vs ??????. I remember in July the Germany - S. Korea started at NOON and the temp was 100. Germany scored 3 goals in the first half. Then played defense the whole second half, never leaving their half of the field and won 3 -2. God awful way to play a game in those conditions. Seats uncomfortable in old Cotton Bowl.

22. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Interestingly, Chicago did want NASCAR. July 19 they'll be announcing a street race for the next 3 NASCAR seasons.

sitruc repped this.
  23. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m interested to see what kind of subsidies NASCAR is looking for- the reason we ostensibly didn’t want FIFA was that FIFA was basically requesting a King’s ransom from host cities, so I’m curious how much we’d be giving NASCAR to come here. As much as I dislike the idea of subsidizing events (and businesses in general) I was hoping to get a World Cup game- seeing the city offering to throw money at the Bears (whether they take it or not) and potentially NASCAR is frustrating after we effectively told FIFA ‘go scratch’.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  24. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    They didn't bid because they would not agree to waiving certain taxes.

25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other cities bid without waiving taxes. The statement from the Chicago mayor's office said:

"FIFA could not provide a basic level of certainty on some major unknowns that put our city and taxpayers at risk," the statement said.

"The uncertainty for taxpayers, coupled with FIFA's inflexibility and unwillingness to negotiate, were clear indications that further pursuit of the bid wasn't in Chicago's best interests."

jaykoz3, TheJoeGreene and AlbertCamus repped this.