The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    There's..uhh...some distribution centers..and Santa's Pub....

2. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    The soccer-specific stadium site within Fairgrounds Nashville is about a 4-mile drive from Nissan Stadium and a 3.5-mile drive from the heart of the downtown entertainment district, including "Honky Tonk Row" on Broadway between 1st and 5th Avenues.

Fairgrounds Nashville is situated in the midst of residential neighborhoods (north, northwest, west, southeast) and commercial/industrial development (east, south, southwest). This is why Nashville SC's plan calls for 10 acres of mixed-use development - including restaurants, retail, a hotel, and an affordable housing component - immediately surrounding the stadium.

3. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    As someone glancing daily at the Cincy, Austin and Columbus construction cams with no knowledge of construction or the attention span to even follow your reply, why does it seem like they've gone about these projects so differently?

I know one's by the river, etc. Are the stadiums that different?

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean by differently?

edwardgr repped this.
  5. El Pelón

El Pelón Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Austin, TX
    I glance at Austin's and Columbus' fairly often.

Columbus broke ground about a month after we did, but seems months behind, relatively speaking. From what I've been able to tell, it's because Columbus' new stadium location is on a floodplain, and they've had to build a secant wall around the entire stadium to keep the water out.

Austin has the benefit of super mild winters and a short rainy season (roughly May, June, and September) and seems well-equipped to have a timely Spring 2021 opening (though likely not ready for the first game of the season).

Otherwise, I wish Columbus and Cincy had better construction cams. Low framerates, they don't always work, only one perspective, no time lapses, etc. Austin's got it right on this front.

6. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cincinnati and Austin should be done slightly before Columbus.

TrueCrew repped this.
  7. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep for the secant wall reference. It's something like 650+, 80 ft deep holes, filled with steel beams and concrete, completely circling the site (note, too, the playing surface will be sunk below ground level, so drainage is obviously a legitimate issue). Hence, very little to see above ground right now. A recent update said above ground structure still won't really be evident until April/May. As winters go, it's fairly mild here, so there haven't been any delays that I've seen.

I won't defend the construction cam. One hopes, by spring when there's more to see, they'll upgrade the feed and their coverage of the project (which Cincy does vey well, by the way). My son took some illicit drone footage of the site last week that showed me much more than you can see from that one blurry camera. That was a nice perk for me personally, but I do hope the club really starts marketing the stadium project more creatively.

Final note. Some lucky bastards say they've just seen updated renderings. Good for them. I assume this is related to the soon to be opened stadium experience center downtown in the Short North.

8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had to guess on completions:

1. Lockhart 2.0
    2. Cincy
    3. Austin
    4. Columbus
    5. Sacramento
    6. Nashville (mild lawsuit delay)
    7. St. Louis
    8. Miami Arsenic Park
    9. NYCFC

WVKeeper repped this.
  9. BookerT

BookerT Member

Mar 27, 2007
    NC
    Mostly in agreement. I intentionally did not include Lockhart in my original list since its completion in the next few months is a fait accompli. I also forgot about Austin which I would have as the next stadium completed afterLockhart:

1. Austin
    2. Columbus
    3. Cincinnati
    4. Sacramento
    5. St. Louis
    6. Nashville
    7. Miami (Freedom Park)
    8. NYCFC
    9. New England
    10. Chicago
    11. Charlotte

Top three seem like a safe bet, though the order could change. All should be in operation by the end of the 2021 season. 4 and 5 also seem like a safe bet to be in operation by the end of the 2022 season.

The rest is really anyone’s guess, but I think they all get done in the next 10 years, possibly with the exception of Charlotte (yes, even New England). Nashville could take more than a couple years. Miami might be playing in Lockhart for a while. NYCFC could jump Miami. IMO, a stadium in greater Boston will happen, probably post-2026 World Cup. Same with Chicago, they will eventually (but not immediately) want out of NSF.

Charlotte could go one of three ways:

1. New (retractable roof) stadium, shared with Panthers (most likely IMO)
    2. Stay in BofA even after Panthers move out, stadium renovated to be more soccer-specific
    3. New SSS (least likely)

10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cincinnati broke ground on their stadium quite a bit earlier than we did in Columbus. I've read that if they don't have it done by the start of the 2021 season, MLS will fine the club. So, presumably, it'll be done by March(-ish) of next year. The new Crew stadium won't open until July 2021.

TrueCrew repped this.
  11. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Field of Schemes says the taxpayers are still on the hook for the same $75m that they were in the original deal. (Not sure how to link the article).

It looks to me that the mayor has limited some public risk but long term the money that will end up in Ingram's/Nashville SC's pocket instead of city coffers will be significant. I guess most people want city projects to at worst break even but to me public-private partnerships should end with the taxpayer getting a tangible financial benefit - at least once in awhile.

harrylee773 repped this.
  12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Months? Miami's first home game is March 14. Lockhart Stadium 2.0 will be complete in a few short weeks.

13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've tried to convince the moderators on Hockey's Future to set up a Commisioner sub-forum the way we do here. They never listen.

14. Endless Skies

Endless Skies Member

Internacional Miami CF
    Oct 3, 2019
    Miami
    And Futbol Miami TV has posted regular construction updates and it looks like it's about 90% done. Looks like they just have to clean up and pave the area around the stadium and parking lot and do some finishing touches on the ticket booths. I am not sure if there are going to be two video screens but only one is up now.

Attached Files:

Burr, canammj, Three and Three and 2 others repped this.
  15. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
  16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honore de Ballsac, TrueCrew and JasonMa repped this.
  17. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Sneaky Pete Marino! Ok he might have come later but still, should be remembered.

Remember that signature Dr Khumalo spyglass move, where he stood on the ball? Devastating.

Bill Archer repped this.
  18. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  19. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    --------------
    Never thought I'd say this, but the seating pattern is pretty interesting. I am sure there are others like somewhere else in the world, but doubtful anything like this in the USA. The colors are kind of cool too.

20. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4096 Bill Archer, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Yes indeed, "The Michael Jordan of South Africa" was quite a showman. Sadly though, not much of a soccer player.

On the plus side, a decent lawyer might be able to squeeze a few nuisance suit dollars out of Captain Morgan for him.

And good old Stinky Pete. The guy who wore 2 shirts so that he could yank one off when he scored without getting a card.

The soccer sucked royal ass back in those days but the comedy was world class.

Chesco United and Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  21. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And I miss it so much :'(

22. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    "wait, what?" - Eric Hassli

23. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Media up here were referring to Avaya as "Earthquakes Stadium".

Has SJE lost another front-line sponsor?

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Avaya filed for bankruptcy a little while ago, though the Avaya Stadium name officially remained until this year. :(

-G