The Mike Huckabee (R) Campaign Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Chris M., Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have no problem with that. My problem is the way most candidates including Huckabee are dealing with the issue of what to do about the people who are already here and who crossed the border illegally over the years.

Sending them all back to wherever they came from may play well in NH, but it is not a realistic solution.

2. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Nor is it economically viable. This country would collapse if we immediately removed 16 million people from the workplace...regardless of whether they are illegal or not.

The simple fact that we have entire sectors of our economy that depend on them makes the thought even more severe.

3. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    You could have saved a lot of words just by saying he was pandering.

4. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Do Democrats aren't "common Americans?" Since more Americans identify themselves as Democrats than Republicans, that would indicate that in fact Huckabee does not share the best interests of most Americans, which would of course be downright un-American.

Just checking.

5. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    So John Kerry isn't choosing Obama as the Democratic candidate, he's simply endorsing him?

At what point does espousing an idea make it your own?

6. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    And if this information is available, and you know it, you should be able to use it to formulate a convincing argument in favor of it.

7. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Of course, by choosing to spend less, you'll decrease the free cash flow in the economy, which will inevitably cause a drag on the economy as businesses no longer have the cash necessary for growth.

This will, if performed en masse, result in a recession that will stifle long-term growth and innovation possibilities, ultimately (and inevitably) relegating the United States to second-class status in the world.

All this by way of saying that your face is going to miss your nose eventually.

8. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    1) He endorsed it. Same same.
    2) At whose expense? My initial reaction is that it's at the expense of consumers. Since lower income people consumer a greater percent of their income, it will de fact come at their expense.
    3) Nothing, but simplicity is not always the best solution.
    4) That's no good if people decide not to buy products (as has been previously suggested).

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Welcome to the party, where have you been? ;)

Before we start I have to ask, have you taken a look at the FairTax?

10. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clicky!
    It's easy to see how the guy is doing so well, because he's both charming and funny as hell.

Too bad he's part of a doomsday cult.

11. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He and Colbert are great together. If this president thing doesn't work out he should join Colbert Report.

12. dogface

dogface Let's Just Pretend

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My wife and I are both charmed by Huckabee and we're both very liberal. He's funny, charismatic and one hell of a speaker. He's a charming politician, who would be normally considered the second coming of Bill Clinton if he weren't a Baptist minister. He's just fantastic on Colbert.

13. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You, sir, have something of a lack of knowledge concerning the individual "spejic" and his many traits and foibles, those both endearing and less-so. But take your ease in this most virtual and virtuous of forums and you may begin to grasp the totality that is the public persona of yours truly. But not all of course - for who among us can say that completely understand another member of this most complex of species? Not I, brother - not I.

14. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I hope Iranian Monitor is watching Huckabee tonight.

15. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. I'm not nearly as concerned with what happens with the illegal immigrants who are already here as I am with making sure new ones don't keep coming in. Which is why I have little problem with McCain on this issue.

16. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    That could never happen.

17. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Been busy, and yes I've looked at it.

18. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Then I confused, if you've taken a look at the plan you'd realize the prebate completely eliminates the tax burden of the poor. TBH, the FairTax would be the best thing that ever happened to low income people.

19. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    As long as the idea is forcing people to realize how much they pay in taxes, it will be considered extremist, sensationalist, and obscenely unfair to the poor...even if they end up not paying a cent.

20. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want the best possible outcome for the country as a whole. My feeling is that regardless of who gets the nominations, the general election is going to be basically a coin flip. So I want Obama to get the Democratic nomination because I think he'd be the best President of the 3 Dem leaders, even though Hillary or Edwards would be more beatable by the GOP candidate.

I'm not sure I really agree. Paul is a nut job. There are a LOT of people like me who agree with 90-95% of what he says, but won't vote for him because the other 5-10% is so off-the-wall batsh/t. I agree with most of Paul's domestic agenda but am not going to vote for a candidate who favors immediate pull-out in Iraq and who believes that the US is at fault for 9/11.

21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WAY over 500 posts. Thread closed, continued here.