The Mike Huckabee (R) Campaign Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Chris M., Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am disappointed Matt... I thought you earlier said you favor individual liberties...

The Chuck and Huck Bandwagon is certainly doing well - statistically - but is there any real substance here? As Fred Thompson's last commercial suggests, Huck from Arkansas has a friendship with raising taxes, a real no no in conservative states. Huckabee is not a fiscal conservative and that is his liability! Huckabee lied repeatedly about his tax record and we need to get this message out. Huckabee also has a liability on the scholarships for illegal aliens issue. Further, what's the deal with Huck's Capo Mafia enforcer Norris? Are we to expect the GOP convention to be a Total Gym exercise exhibit? Huck has this Norris guy as his shadow... are the other candidates in for a Chuck-style back alley beating? Listen... I kind of like Huckabee but he is not a big-ticket candidate... if he wasn't from Arkansas I think he might make a fine Town Selectman, a front-line WeightWatchers spokesman, or perhaps a good VP on a real Conservative's ticket... I see Huck as a fad... a flavor of the month (since it's December folks feel religious and give Huck & Chuck the nod now)... wait till January and Rudy and Fred will be back in the lead methinks...

2. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if ITN sees the irony of a Fred Thompson supporter calling any other candidate "insubstantial".

Nah, probably not.

3. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which includes the freedom not to breathe carcinogens in public spaces.

4. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you must go really bat crazy in heavy traffic eh?

5. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a car

6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I must spread some reputation around. :D

7. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Chuck and Huck thing is pretty cool.

And I agree that Huck isn't a fiscal conservative, witness his NASA cheerleading at the YouTube debate.

But then again Fred isn't either, what with his support for welfare for defense companies, a.k.a. the Iraq War.

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Huckabee's very own Willie Horton.

I will say this - Dukakis didn't lie about releasing Horton. Huckabee with Dumond? Well, let's say he might want to examine the 10 commandments again. Though I'm sure there's an exception for Reeps suffering from Clinton Derangement Syndrome. :rolleyes:

EDIT: More here.

9. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    From the crooksandliars link:

HO-LY-CRAP! Tell me this isn't true. This just cannot be true. If it is true whenever some clown like Tucker Carlson tries to compare the ire directed at Bush with some of the stuff that went on in the 90's with Clinton he should be smacked upside the head.

Between Vince Foster conspiracy theories and allegations of Clinton's drug dealing these anti-Clinton whack-jobs were absolutely nuts!

10. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I'm surprised this wasn't bigger news and that it didn't find its way on here:

• The Politico -- A day after news about Iran was out, Huckabee was unaware: At an on-the-record dinner with reporters last night in Des Moines, The Politico's David Paul Kuhn asked Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee about the National Intelligence Report on Iraq that had been released a day earlier (a report that was front-page news across the nation Tuesday and says, as USA TODAY has written, that Iran ceased its secret nuclear weapons program in 2003 and has not resumed work toward building nuclear arms). According to a transcript of the discussion, after Huckabee appeared unfamiliar with the news Kuhn asked the candidate if he had "heard of the finding." Huckabee's response: "No."

31 hours after the NIE was released, a reporter asked Huckabee about its contents. He was absolutely clueless.

Maybe its not a big deal, but in my mind, it raises a real concern when a candidate isn't even aware of a major story that was the above the fold lead in most papers more than a day and a half after the fact. It reminds me a little of that certainty a certain president feels that allows him to believe that he doesn't need to read the papers or watch the news. Others do that and filter out the bias for him.

Well, here, apparently Huckabee doesn't even have anyone filtering for him.

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm more and more convinced Huckabee will wither once the spotlight gets hot. He's managed to skate so far because he's likable, articulate, and at least appears to be a fundamentally decent person (I wouldn't say the latter about Guiliani, for example--or Hillary on the other side). But his ideology is a disaster--social/religious conservatism meets lowest-common-denominator economic populism, with a strong dose of nanny-statism thrown in for good measure.

12. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    In the course of lambasting Huckabee's fair tax proposal (calling it "crazier, by an order of magnitude, than any other crazy idea I've seen at the national level. It's so crazy that even really crazy right-wingers think it's pretty crazy."), Jon Chait makes an interesting point about the intellectual structures of today's GOP...

http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=c2629ba4-609c-4575-aa12-27dde47d411e

13. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy this sure does stink....If the press hounded Dukakis for Willie Horton, when he was not personally involved in requesting his release, more that he favored the policy..

Wonder what they will do to Huckabee

14. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing. The death penalty is no longer an issue like it was in '88

15. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    The death penalty is not at issue in this case either. It was about letting the guy out of prison. The fact that he got personally involved AND that it appears there was political pressure related to the right's hatred of Clinton adds an entirely different element to this.

For me personally, the story is bad, but the fact that he appears to be less than honest about his role in this is worse. I'm done with politicians who blatantly lie to the American people [insert "done with all politician jokes" here].

16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Tough on crime is ALWAYS an issue. It's just not an issue whenever it appears that a Reep is not being tough on crime.

17. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other reason why it's a non issue is that Richardson is the only Dem running with ANY sort of record on crime. And he isn't winning the nomination.

18. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    There's also no possibility in this to race bait.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gringo, the free market eliminated racism in the 60s. Don't you know anything?
    What a perfect expose that you see your function here as being an asshole. You obviously don't know what you're talking about, seriously, yet you can't help yourself from arguing in your inimitable, stupid, contrarian fashion. Frankly, ITN has stepped up his game so much that he's a better poster than you are. He contributes more.

20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    SD, you don't know shit. EVERYTHING good, free market, everything bad, the federal gummint. I thought you would have learned that by now. :rolleyes:

21. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    School yourself, Douchebag

[youtube]EC9j6Wfdq3o[/youtube]

22. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    So I'm reading Huckabee's website about his new immigration proposal and I think some of the measures are a bit harsh.
    I think this is an outstanding way to argue for the "Fair tax"
    Then I read this
    And the guy lost my vote.

23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Heh?

24. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    It's a pay off to big business to the detrement of US workers. The number does not have to be increased and infact, I would like to see them up for bid. Let's see just how valuable they are.

25. dogface

dogface Let's Just Pretend

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Could be worse. He could call Huckabee "lazy."