The Mighty Boosh

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Doctor Stamen, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    The greatest comedy no-one has ever seen

If you imagine very early Reeves and Mortimer, or Paul Merton, but set in a zoo. And to think the BBC made more than one episode of Coupling, Two Pints of Lager................

2. Brainodo

Brainodo New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Hoboken
    Saw it, loved it. Hope they come out with a DVD soon.
    Among other bits me and the select group of people (all two of em) I know that have seen it enjoy:

Monkey Hell?! At this time of night?

And the one where Howard's going to fight the kangaroo (don't ask) and wants to ask the woman at the zoo if she'd like to go, cos he fancies her:

Howard: So if you'd like to please come along. Please come... Please come... Please.
    Vince [whispers]: Cooler...
    Howard: Bitch?
    Vince [whispers]: Not *that* cool
    Howard: Nice Bitch?

I rather enjoyed 'The Smoking Room' and Monkey Dust as well on Beeb 3 while I was back in England last summer. Looking forward also to seeing Nathan Barley and Look Around You 2 when my mate gets the tape to me.

From The Boosh website:
    Hello again...

The Most Frequently Asked Question of All, Answered.

Yes, there will be a DVD of series 1 available soon. As yet we have no date but the BBC will be releasing it sometime after the launch of the second series.

We are still writing the second series and imagine it will take another month before we start production. From then it will take a while to reach your screens. There will be meetings, discussions, we will be forced to take the best bits out and finally it will be shown, at irregular times across the schedule.

For any of you who might be wondering why the first series disappeared from the schedules BBC2 has decided it will show the last 3 episodes of the first series in the near future. Again we have no dates. We are not very good at dates

The Second Most Asked Question.

Yes, Noel's hair is real. Get over it.

The Mighty Boosh is to be shown in the U.S.A. BBC America has bought the Boosh and will be showing it soon, sandwiched between reruns of Benny Hill and The Office. Dates and times to follow

Me: Get in!

3. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    To the news of a second series, and that it will be in America, I say...........

CASH BACK !

4. Brainodo

Brainodo New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Hoboken
    And I reply with a mighty...
    JURASSIC PARK!

5. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    I would say 'kiss my face', but then you could be an Orthodox Rabbi for all I know :D.

Did you see the Rock Opera nativity play they all did ?. That was hilarious.

2005 is shaping up to be a good year, since The League of Gentlemen film is out this summer.

6. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    [​IMG]

Another great comedy that people didn't really catch on to.

7. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    I wonder when the Mighty Boosh will be available on DVD?

I was a big fan of Peep-Show on C4 as well. I started getting into it, as it was the first thing on when I got home on a Friday.

For me, one of the best underrated comedies out there at the minute is 15 storeys high. I think the Beeb really needed to sell this more; I just loved it - It think Lock is superb.

You can get Series 1 on DVD now:

[​IMG]

Lets get series 2 out for the summer, I say!

8. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both these are out now. Go, buy them, and wince at the thought that Everybody Loves Raymond got an Emmy.

9. Brainodo

Brainodo New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Hoboken
    Really want to see 15 storeys. My friends rave about it.

Got the first series of the Boosh on DVD, great stuff. It started on BeebA a week or so ago. Not read any imnpressions yet.
    Just started watching the Second Series. I didn't think it could get any odder.
    The really strange thing about the Boosh is that while I'm watching it (particularly the second series) I wonder wether it's actually that funny. But when I think about it or quote a bit later, I'm falling about laughing.
    "Neil Armstrong walkin' on me face
    Buzz Aldrin walkin' on me face
    ...the... third one... walkin' on me face."

10. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
  11. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    Wonder how Everybody Loves Raymond got an Emmy? I'm still in a deep depression knowing that it lasted longer than a season. I hate people.

12. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I like Monkeydust, but yes most of the other BBC "comedies" are crap. Manstrokewoman is running 'Planets Funniest Animals' for worst thing on TV at the moment.

13. Brainodo

Brainodo New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Hoboken
    Because they never did an episode called 'The Nightmare of Milky Joe.'

Live DVD of the Boosh on the way, according to the website.

14. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Man is this a year old, how the time flies away... :rolleyes:

Anyways speaking of manstrokewoman - the premise is actually quite good, except some the gags don't work. If they were to strip away some of the more overt and ott ones, and someone managed to create a very dark sitcom it could potentially work. I just think some of the writing is a bit poor, and highlights the whole diverse mix they have writing it, it just need to find its specific niche and purpose.

I tend to think about, strangely enough the very dark 15 stories high - which often has random cut aways to people in other rooms expressing very surreal humour, but for me I just think Lock just holds it apart. So potentially this type of comedy does work, but clearly manstrokewoman is devoid of constant writing talent sadly.

Stepping away from comedy for a sec, I really thing they should bring out Ghost Squad on DVD. I am really getting into this programme.

15. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Manstrokewoman clearly shows what is wrong with sketch shows after the Fast Show. It is all about getting character X into a situation in which they repeat the same catch phrase every episode. This means the show gets very boring very quickly. That's why I don't like Little Britain, and The Catherine Tate Show (although that may also be because the Catherine Tate Show is as funny as piercing your own testicles with a rusty nail).

As for Monkey Dust, I hate it because I thought it was made by irritating film students who wanted to be all 'dark' and 'alternative', and make cartoons to 'challenge' people i.e. It's sh_t.

I couldn't stand ghost squad because of the camerawork. Every time its on someone's face, the cameraman has to zoom in and out in a jerky fashion. It's like they were watching NYPD Blue and thought "I need a gimmick like that".

16. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Got the Boosh series 2 on DVD, along with 15 storeys high, Absolute Power Series 1, Peep Show Series 2, Ross Noble: Sonic Waffle and Vic Reeves' Big Night Out.

Next, I'd like to buy The Smoking Room (if it's on DVD) Peep Show Series 1 and any Operation Good Guys DVDs.

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A friend of mine used to date Julian Barratt.