The Midfield

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr.Phil, Apr 18, 2006.

1. jpoler1

jpoler1 Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Bedford, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone think that Cherundolo might be gay? I hate to start rumors, and I'm not trying to, but it seems like he could be putting from the rough. What do you guys think?

2. the stranger

the stranger New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    What if he can walk, but not in a straight line?

3. jpoler1

jpoler1 Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Bedford, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan does NOT want to play up top. I am guessing that he will start in the middle of the diamond in Midfield. Beasley is almost a lock, and so is Reyna if he is healthy. John O'Brien (call him by his name, none of this JOB crap) will start if he is fit enough, but will most likely start and sub out depending upon his fitness level. Dempsey is a douchebag who wishes he was black, I really don't like the guy but that really has nothing to do with him playing in the World Cup. He along with Mastronei will fight it out over who will start. I see whoever does not start subbing for the other one. Beasley will play nearly every minute, along with Donovan and Reyna. I really hope John O'Brien will be healthy we need his technique in the midfield.

4. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    Adu needs to be on this team. THe little bratt is ready. He has not done anything this year to prove differently.

I don't know what more could have been asked of him to get him on the nats team. I would definantly put him in front of Convey, Olsen and other players Im normally biased FOR.

I don't like the kid, but I want this team to win games; to win games against some of the best teams in the world, we need some of our top players.

Rant over, but ADU absolutely needs a serious look.

5. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    I think he got one, and is still getting one, and still should not be on the team. I love Freddy...can't wait to see what he can do...but he does not deserve a spot on the team. Why? From what I have seen of him with DC so far this season (which is every game) here is why I leave him off:

1. Passing is too erratic at times. Can't give the ball away like that in international competition.

2. Plays no D. In the US style of play, everyone has to play D (except Reyna )

3. I would not fill the roster slot on the "hope" that Freddy will produce on the biggest stage in soccer. Unfair to ask that much of the kid.

6. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    i've seen adu play every game too...

his passing isn't all that bad, but the kid does make plays with his passing...

while wouldn't list him on the final 23, I'd make him an alternate, because if donovan or beasley goes down, i'd prefer to add an attcking player who can do something special...

adu is off to a B grade sort of start...if he continues to improve, as i would expect from a 16 year old, I can see him being the last attacking mid, caveat being the injury bug....

7. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think an interesting point about Dempsey might be that the teams we face should have a pretty good idea about the rest of our options, but might not be too familiar with Clint. He's a relative newcomer to the senior team, barely played at all for our youth nats, and has only played in MLS so far. If this combination of factors gets him dismissed by one of our opponents, he could be a _huge_ factor.

8. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    ----------McB---------
    ---Beaz ---------LD----
    Convey -------Reyna---
    --------Pablo----------
    Lewis -Gibbs -Pope-Cher

Seems possible

9. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I dont think Arena has played the 4-3-3

I like it because it fits most of the players on the field

10. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    It could change to a 4-4-2 with DMB switching to the right and LD playing with MCB pretty easily if things aren't going well. Not sure it's the right thing, but it gets the players I most want to play on the field (maybe Gooch for Pope or Gibbs of course, or even Slide Gibbs to left for Lewis if Cher has to push up a lot to make width -- but probably not).

11. DaMa

DaMa Member

Jun 17, 2002
    New York

huh? I have to assume you didnt mean to refer to Reyna there.

As for the question... as things stand now, I would be surprised if LD isn't headed back up front. EJ still does not look solid. If JOB, Claudio, DMB, Dempsey, Mastro and Convey are all healthy, LD will be up top and 4 of those players will start in the midfield (likely varying depending on the opponent).

12. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, (US national team player personnel advisor), have decided not to start claudio reyna.

13. rollo

rollo Member

Mar 11, 1999
    San Francisco
    This could be a number of different lineups during the same game and we often effecively end up in a 4-5-1. The difference is in the central versus wide play by Donovan and Beasley. I think we know Donovan can play centrally withdrawn.. If Beasely tends to drift left and Donovan drifts centrally, we are back to the 4-5-1 with Donovan as the withdrawn forward and Beasely having the freedom to roam centrally.

Therefore this lineup ranges from a box 4-4-2

-----------McB--LD
    ----Beasely----Reyna
    ----Convey----Mastroeni
    Lewis Gooch Pope Cherundulo

to a box 4-5-1 by having LD, Reyna and Mastroeni dropping deeper

-----------McB-
    -----Beasely--LD-
    ----Convey-Reyna
    -------Mastroeni

Or a 3-5-2 on the attack

--------McB-LD
    Lewis/BC--Beasely--Reyna-
    ---BC/Lewis--Mastroeni
    ---Gooch Pope Cherundulo

OR

-----------McB--LD
    ---Beasely-Reyna--Cher
    ----Convey----Mastroeni
    ----Lewis Gooch Pope

Finally as you mentioned, it also can be a 4-3-3

-----------McB
    --Beasely-----LD
    ----Convey---Reyna
    ------Mastroeni

A number of interesting tidbits from this lineup(s):
    Convey will end up in a more defensive 2 way mid role! But he can also attack wide with the dribble and Beasely drifts centrally.

When Cher attacks up the right wing, Lewis will be defending in a 3-man backline!! Is this ok or do we need Gibbs there if a lot of the offense will come through Cherundulo?

14. ill quixote

ill quixote Member

Apr 5, 2006
    I don't think it makes sense to have both Convey and Beasley on the same side of the field. If two players are going to be lined up like that, then JOB should probably be in there for Convey. He's better, and Beasley could cover up his lack of speed.

15. rollo

rollo Member

Mar 11, 1999
    San Francisco
    Actually I was just replicating the lineup given (although I took the liberty of putting Gooch for Gibbs). I agree that if both were fit, JOB would be a better choice than Convey for that spot to start. But it seems at this point that he may not be the best player to start.We'll have to wait and see how he comes along.

The point of the post above was more about the flexibility of the lineup to change form during games.

16. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -----------------Mastroeni-----------------
    -------Dempsey------------O'Brien---------

--------Donovan----------Beasley---------

-----------------McBride------------------