The "Messi: the best player in the world. Is it even up for discussion?" thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by jfcule, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    These are World Cup stats since 1958 for best players (attackers) on winning teams.

Most Goals Scored
    1. 2002 Ronaldo - 8
    2. 2022 Messi - 7
    3. 1958 Pele - 6
    1978 Kempes - 6
    1982 Rossi - 6
    4. 1986 Maradona - 5
    1994 Romario - 5
    2014 Muller - 5

Most Goal Contributions
    1. 1970 Pele - 10
    1986 Maradona - 10
    2022 Messi - 10
    2. 2002 Ronaldo - 8
    3. 1958 Pele - 7
    1978 Kempes - 7
    1982 Rossi - 7

Highest Goal Contribution Involvement %
    1. 1986 Maradona - 71.4%
    2. 2022 Messi - 66.7%
    3. 1982 Rossi - 58.3%
    4. 1994 Romario - 54.5%
    5. 1970 Pele - 52.6%

Most Knockout Round Goals Scored
    1. 1958 Pele - 6
    1978 Kempes - 6
    1982 Rossi - 6
    2. 2022 Messi - 5
    3. 2002 Ronaldo - 5

Most Knockout Round Goal Contributions
    1. 2022 Messi - 7
    1978 Kempes - 7
    2. 1958 Pele - 6
    1982 Rossi - 6
    3. 1970 Pele - 5
    1974 Muller - 5
    1986 Maradona - 5

Highest Knockout Round Goal Contribution Involvement %
    1. 2022 Messi - 70.0%
    2. 1978 Kempes - 63.6%
    3. 1986 Maradona - 62.5%
    4. 1982 Rossi - 60.0%
    5. 1984 Romario - 60.0%

Messi is at or near the top in almost every metric!

ShortyMac, Bada Bing and ganapordiego repped this.
  2. Doc_Exec

Doc_Exec Member

Jul 7, 2004
    What does it look like if penalties are taken out from the equation?

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just subtract 4 from whole campaign and 3 from KO round phase from Messi's numbers. I think most of the other players scored little to no PKs. I know R9 (02) had 0 PKs and so did Maradona (86), Rossi (82), Romario (94), Pele (58 and 70) ...

4. Doc_Exec

Doc_Exec Member

Jul 7, 2004
    #7879 Doc_Exec, Jan 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    I wasn't sure about Kempes scoring a penalty; so I checked. Kempes did not score any of his goals from penalties, just like the other players on the list: R9 (2002), Pele, Maradona, Rossi, Romario, and Muller (R9 scored a penalty in 1998). So, if we remove penalties, the list remains the same except that Messi does not remain in any of the categories.

5. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Kempis was a magnificent player.

6. Doc_Exec

Doc_Exec Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Indeed he was. I had seen his fantastic performances, just did not remember if he had scored a penalty or not in the 1978 World Cup.

7. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Why would we not count penalties? They are goals on the scoreboard.

I understand generally valuing non-penalty goals more and I do so myself but they are still goals scored.

ganapordiego repped this.
  8. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    you can get him even lower if you remove all left footed goals ;)

Bada Bing, unclesox and ganapordiego repped this.
  9. Doc_Exec

Doc_Exec Member

Jul 7, 2004
    When you remove the penalties, there are not many left footed goals left to remove. :D j/k

10. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    ???
    Messi is left-footed.
    There would be many goals to remove to fit the agenda.

11. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

275 Messi
    35 Mbappe
    30 Benzema
    15 Modric
    5 Haaland

ganapordiego repped this.
  12. Doc_Exec

Doc_Exec Member

Jul 7, 2004
    There is a big difference between scoring penalties versus scoring non-penalty (open play) goals. If Pep’s Barca would score penalties every game, they would not be regarded as arguably the best club side ever. Similarly, would anyone consider Brazil 1970 to be the greatest team of all time if they scored only penalties? Listing all goals as you did is being statistically accurate; however, it does not allow deeper inference related to performance quality or dominance (I’m not saying that was your objective rather than mere statistical reporting). That's why the penalty question is being justifiably raised.

13. nucgunner

nucgunner Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Van, Can.
    On the same note of deeper inference, “goal contributions” is just goals and assists, correct?

Messi is not credited for the hockey assist on Di Maria’s goal in the final, nor for some reason assisting Alvarez first goal against Croatia where he knocked it on to him at the start of his run (presumably because the ball bounced around a bit before Alvarez finished). In any case, Messi was pretty involved in both of those goals as well, which would give him a hand in every Argentinian goal in the knockout rounds except one (the second against Australia), regardless of being penalty or not. I’d say that infers a lot of performance quality.

14. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Messi could and does score with either foot.
    Maradona used his right foot for walking or running.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yep, or like the first goal v Australia where Messi created the turnover, drew a foul, took the free-kick, ball came back to him, dribbled past some players, made a hockey assist and then scored the goal. But counts the same as a tap in. Stats can only inform you to a limited extent.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    huh? I can understand that penalties inflate the stats of an individual player, but surely a penalty goal shouldn't reflect negatively on the team that scores it.

If a team makes some nice passes and gets into a great scoring position, what's the difference if a defender bowls over a guy just before he is about to take a shot or if the defender stands back and lets him finish? Also, Pep's Barca got awarded a lot of penalties some seasons so that's not a great example. That shouldn't even be surprising because a team that usually has the ball and creates a lot of danger will tend to draw more penalties.

17. Doc_Exec

Doc_Exec Member

Jul 7, 2004
    You write as if the rules are different for Messi. None of the players get credit for pre-assists; many of the players in the list above have made fantastic contributions to their team's goals without getting statistical credit. Clodoaldo had that magical run through Italy's midfield in the lead up to Carlos Alberto's goal in the 1970 final. He didn't get credited, did he?

18. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    There is a qualitative difference but a goal is a goal.

Not counting Messi's penalties means discounting the fact that he scored goals for Argentina. I would be happy to admit that the average quality of his goals are lower but he still scored them and they contributed to his team winning the WC.

19. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    you write as if you're looking for ways to play down messi's accomplishments

Cosmin10 and unclesox repped this.
  20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    But it should be noted that most players in those rankings above are strikers whose main job is to score. Messi is a playmaker first and foremost. Pre assists are one way to give playmakers the credit they've earned. Of course, pure strikers like R9 should also get credit when they get pre assists, but that won't be as often.

21. Doc_Exec

Doc_Exec Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Nah, that's only in your mind. I just asked how the list would look like without penalty goals. The fact that only Messi is the one with penalty goals in that list is just a coincidence. The penalties may play down his accomplishments, not me!

22. Doc_Exec

Doc_Exec Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sure! From that list, Pele, Maradona, and Messi are the playmakers; the rest are strikers. If pre-assists are included, their stats will look even better. But if you are including pre-assists, it should be done for all. Unlike Rossi and Muller, Romario and R9 did play from deep and had some pre-assists as well.

23. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    even if we exclude your bs, your intentions are still pretty clear.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  24. nucgunner

nucgunner Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Van, Can.
    I’m just trying to apply the same logic you are—stats only tell part of the story. If we should consider that Messi scored a bunch of penalties, we can also consider he directly contributed to every goal Argentina scored in the knockout rounds save one. I don’t mean to compare that to the other greats in the post that started this, I just think that’s pretty significant.

25. Doc_Exec

Doc_Exec Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Oh, so blindly exaggerating and extolling Lionel Messi would get your approval, but critiquing stats and assessing all players equally and objectively will not. Brilliant! Your parochial BS aside, it is mere coincidence that Messi is the only one with penalties on that list. If Romario scored penalties or Kempes did, for example, their crude stats would also be questioned.