The "Messi: the best player in the world. Is it even up for discussion?" thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by jfcule, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    It's weird that Messi didn't try to shot like usual. For example Messi would shot immediately when he had chance 1 on 1 with GK like he had vs Brazil. Another example from the same match, Messi dribbled past two Brazil players in penalty era but didn't shot.

2. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That deserves better gif.

[​IMG]

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Good point. Not sure how they classify as big chance.

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep. The assist he had vs Ecuador, the 3 v 1 at the end of the game, he would have taken that chance himself back in the day. And over the years often he has struggled to find the same openings for shots with Argentina as he does with Barca.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep. Not a good stat for Neymar. He has always missed quite a few easy chances. I remember 3 of those this tournament. I'd have to look up the others.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    True. And 4 of the assists were pretty Messi-esque. Only one could be classified as a routine assist (i.e. the one that made it 3-nil over Ecuador).

ShortyMac repped this.
  7. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Dunno if this has been posted yet but…

Lionel Messi produced an international tournament performance for the ages [emoji2962]

ShortyMac and Danko repped this.
  8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So word is Messi's new contract will see him more than halve his salary but his contract will be for 5 years ... which would see him in the club through 39 years of age. I guess to give him a pay cut they had to make it a long term contract ... but 5 year term seems absurd. I would have thought 3 years max. My guess is that there is no intention in finishing up that contract period and that he will move on before then.

And as with anything dealing with deals the clubs does, you have to wonder what kind of shady deal is behind it.

9. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    As long as he does well, I don’t care if he’s with the club for 5 years. Even if Messi stops being a goalscoring threat, he can still operate as a great playmaker.

10. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
  11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, the length of the contract doesn't matter so much. As long as its more than one year so that we don't have to go through this same BS every summer.

Having half the salary would also make him highly attractive to a Man City, PSG, etc. to the point where they would probably be willing to pay a decent transfer fee for him. Barca -> Man City -> NYCFC would seem like a logical path for Messi to take these next/last 5 years.

12. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    TalkSport UK saying Messi has a agreed a 5 year deal with Barca today ...

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So presumably, Messi ain't staying till 39. I would have honestly thought 2 more years. Messi was making 50m clean in his last contract ... now he is going to make 20m a year over 5 years (100m) and he has an MLS option in the contract. Are we really gonna pay Messi 100m for Messi even if he leaves after the 2nd year ? This really looks like a way to pay him 100m. This is no pay cut. If this is what they are doing, the club is truly a circus.

14. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

evil_allan repped this.
  15. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Messi actually has good tackling ability but his stamina prevents him from defending.

16. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007

This dribble alone is better than all of Euro 2020.

Bada Bing repped this.
  17. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Bada Bing repped this.
  18. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    The best dribbler of Euro is actually De Jong.

19. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just shows how bad, and far behind SA broadcasts are that of Euro's. You couldn't even see this live because they were busy showing some random replay's. Yeah at 1-0 91:30 you will not see this because it's not apparently important.

afar repped this.
  20. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
  21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It was nice, but let's not get crazy. Diaz did something very comparable in the very next game (against Argentina).

22. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    That's just obscene...

23. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Pele: Messi is the best in the world. But not in my top 10, neither is Ronaldo (Tap in one, not real Ronaldo).

24. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    So where is the clip from Euro 2020 that shows a player dribble past 2 players twice in such a short space with one player completely getting floored all ends up and the other guy so casually nutmegged?

Diaz’s dribble was skillful, but still not as skillful. In Euro 2020 you may only see Chiesa going past men like this.

South Americans in general display more skill.

25. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    De Jong is the best dribbler this Euro. 4 dribbles per game with 76% success rate.