The Matrix Revolutions [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by SABuffalo786, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Pinesol13

Pinesol13 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    NY

yep, those are my feelings exactly.

2. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    That is an interesting perspective.

Frankly, I am not all that impressed by their style. At first, things may be cool looking, but after seeing those for hours, one cannot help but realize those are nothing but wooden face people with leather fetish posing or moving in front of a blue screen while from time to time spewing out dialogue better described as facade of intellectuality that often not even coherent.

Maybe it’s just me, but the two sequels to Matrix are not all that impressive.

3. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Disappointing, to say the least. The first movie is a classic, it changed how people think and became a phenomenon. The second was poor, and so was the thrid. I went to see it with 2 friends on the days of its release and two of us were VERY close to falling asleep in the first hour or so (no joke there... and the only thing that kep me awake was waiting for the "big ending"). The ending is VERY rushed, it takes 10 minutes after the final fight scene, where it should have taken at least 30 minutes (that could have been taken out of the start). The black commander guy who always seems to be wrong is a travesty of an actor, as is the guy who was under Smiths control on the outside, and very few others were much better. the battle and fight scenes were lacking, too. The shootign scenes were dull and just like a Star Wars battle with a lot more of the enemy, and imho, fighting while flying was taking it a bit too far.

PLOT HOLES:
    - If the Oracle knows all, why does she ask the Architect what is going to happen at the end?
    - When Neo is taken over by Smith, and miraculously explodes, why do all the other Smiths, and the world return to normal?
    - How does Neo have these powers you can only have in the Matrix outside of it? It eliminates the use of the Matrix entirely.
    - If you get hurt in the Matrix it effects you outside of it... When Neo is in that huge fight with Smit hat the end, it does no effect him on the outside... why?

The only thing I found spectacular about this movie was when Trinity (hated that character & actor) and Neo are trying to escape the machines in the space craft, and they suddenly break into daylight, above the clouds... it was very unexpected and well done, it's only real hinderence was Trinity's acting.

4. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

1. The Oracle DOESN'T know all. She even said that the farthest she could see was the various choices the main characters could make. There is no fortune telling or magic involved. It's all mathematical equations and probability. All she knew, was that the war would end one way or another that night. Now that there is a peace, no one knows what will happen.

2. Because once the Smith virus was destroyed, the machines could fix the Matrix again. Didn't you see the deja vu black cat that was in the first Matrix wake up the Indian program's daughter?

3. Neo doesn't have the powers outside the Matrix. When you saw him destroy those bombs and disable the sentinels in Reloaded, that was a power he received when he destroyed Smith in the first movie. Something copied over to Neo from Smith in the Matrix, and now Neo has the ability to interact somewhat with the Machine mainframe when he is confronted by Sentinels and the like in the real world.

4. You're only affected internally or if you die. If you watch all the Matrix movies, you see that whenever the rebels jack in and get all cut up and bruised, those cuts don't carry over to the real world. When Smith and Neo fought in the train station in the first Matrix, and Smith punched Neo so hard that it made him cough up blood from INSIDE his body. That's why you saw Trinity wiping away the blood from his mouth in the real world. Cuts don't magically appear on your skin if you're wounded in the Matrix.

5. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    That is one of annoying things. For current-day virus (organic form or computer program), each copy is just as potent as the original, and to eradicate it, every copy needs to be destroyed. There’s no master virus you can destroy and that is the why it’s so tough to clean once it starts to replicate. This Smith virus in Wachowski’s world is pretty lame.

6. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    My understanding was that Smith existed to counter Neo (to balence the equation). Smith + Neo = 0

7. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Err, could be some SPOILER>

SPOILER>

I don't think anyone would argue that the sequels were as good as the original. However, I had hoped for a little bit more from Revolutions, and not in the sense of action. The second movie (while bad overall IMHO) raised some interesting plotlines, especially when the Architect mentioned other Zions and other Neo's. You could say that he was lying, but then again his comments at the end of Revolutions seemed to indicate that he would not (or could not). These comments weren't mentioned again, and I wish that they had been covered a little more, i mean, it all seems pointless if this is what the machines wanted the whole time. I also nominate the Merovingian as the lamest Matrix character...possibly the lamest fake french (or is it faux francois?) bad guy ever. And what's with hiring Monica Bellucci (the hottest foreign actress with acting talent in Hollywood) for one line?
    I would also put Trinity's ten minute death speech right up there with Leo Decaprio' in Titanic on the "Just hurry up and die already" ranking. Honestly, I would have choked that bitch to death myself just to get the movie going again.

8. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This review points out one of the major problems in the film and one that maybe begs the question is less sometimes more in filmmaking. Once Neo has awakened, the intriguing question of what is reality and what is a dream is answered. You can't continue the plot device because it has been uncovered and explained. So the Wachowski brothers had a dilemma. How do you continue the story and conclude it. At the end of the Matrix, Neo is seen apparently ready to wake up everyone in the Matrix. It's clear though implied he has the power to change the Matrix and wake-up humanity. If I recall correctly it's one of if not the last line in the film. Why it does not happen in the second or third films is probably more a product of greed than any skew in the logic of the story.

Is the third film better than the second? Without question, but it pales in comparison to the first because there are no new or original ideas that capture the viewers attention like the first film.

9. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree with this post almost entirely. I will just say that he did begin waking up humanity in the second (before the second really - the kid was one of many people he woke up), but then the whole destruction Zion/return to the source part of his cycle comes in.

I watched Revolutions last night and enjoyed it plenty. I did not think the action sequences were bad, but I wouldn't rank them as better than the second. The second superbrawl is far from lame IMHO.

This was very clearly addressed at the end of the movie, either you missed or or did not understand what the Architect was referring to.

Dialogue
    s
    p
    o
    i
    l
    e
    r:

The architect says to the Oracle: "You played a dangerous game"
    The Oracle responds with: "Change is always dangerous"

The Oracle changed the equation this time around. Unlike his predecessors, Neo chose not to save Zion, instead he saved Trinity. Similarly, unlike the previous times, Smith became powerful enough to destroy the machines. The Oracle gambled that this would be enough to end the war. Of course, this gamble relied on Neo being able to help the machines destroy Smith.

I still think we needed more of an explanation about the predecessors (is the Architect lieing about the destory Zion/repopulate Zion cycle? or not?)

I wish a lot more could have been more developed too: Sati and her parents for example (God damn that woman was hot), and other programs that go into the Matrix for whatever reason. This gave us our first glimpse or the programs/machines as individuals (I haven't seen the Animatrix).

Trinity's death scene should have been shorter. Rescuing Neo was awfully easy and the Merovingian and Persephone were way underused in this one. (Fauz French though??? What do you mean - the actor is French) Can you imagine if the two films were one? What a lame resolution to Neo's coman if he is rescued only 10 minutes later (it seemed short).

I thought Bane was perfect. He acted just like Smith. If you missed the second movie, there's no way that you would know Bane was Smith... until he opens his mouth and says "Mr. Anderson".

What else? I dunno, certainly not dissapointing as the critics seem to agree. The Wachowski's made quite a fun universe to play in and while their pseudo-philosophy was never more than just that it was always fun and so was the unbalanced equation/Neo's function element of the story.

10. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  11. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    ITA. A very thoughtful review.

By the way, reading through the review and this thread makes me realize why I like LOTR trilogy over Matrix trilogy in the first place. You have

"...cloud it with endless discussions of choice and fate."

vs

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

And that's it. One simple line is just as profound as all the endless dialogue on choice and fate together.

12. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    SPOILER++++++

SPOILER+++

1)I guess I wasn't paying attention. However, this still doesn't answer the point of it all...why would the machines contruct this series of events? What does it really matter if there is a Zion or not...obviously the machines could take it out anytime they want. I don't know, I guess I just got the feeling that the machines were controlling everything, and in the end it didn't matter what the humans did. While this fits with what some of the characters said, it still doesn't make it satisfying.

2)I know that the matrix exists because the machines need power...the humans threw perpetual clouds in the sky during the war and eliminated the machiens power supply. However, with the machines' obvious resources, what the fuck is to stop them from building solar panels above the clouds? Also, is there a machine phobia against projectile weapons? if those calamari had been equipped with pellet guns they would have wiped out Zion in minutes. Maybe the machines don't want to give themselves too much of an advantage (perpetuate the fight against humanity)?
    3)I didn't know the actor was French. I simply thought the accent sounded ridiculous and the actor didn't make it any better by completely botching the role. There was no menace at all. You felt like he was some kind of cartoon bad guy, not an extremely powerful and sadistic program. The agents aren't scared to be shot, presumably the Merovingian is more powerful, so why was he so scared that he gave Neo up?
    4)I agree with you thoughts on Bane. His imitation of Agent Smith was dead on. I thought those were some of the most tense scenes of the film.

13. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re: SPOILER++++++

I agree this is the biggest problem with the movie's premise. You have to accept it in the first place, I mean there are plenty of areas where you could say, hey, why dont they just do this? But the idea that the machines allow Zion to repopulate AND it is so much trouble for them to reach Zion again to complete the cycle according to the architect is the most difficult to accept. I wonder if any of the background stuff (Animatirx for example) sheds any light on this.

Agents aren't scared of dieing because they don't act like individuals, they work for the system. The Merovingian is "more powerful" only in the sense that he has lots of exiles in debt to him because he deals in the black market. He lets programs into the Matrix clandestinely, he had the keymaker so he has access to shortcuts through the Matrix, etc. He is not a super-human program like the agents.

I agree that the resolution to that scene was weak and that the character was way underused in Revolutions, making him seem a lot less imposing than he was supposed to.

14. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    The machines using the Matrix for power is an utter lie. The machines probably could get some power from the human races' energy, but nowhere near enough to power 01 and all of their cities. The form of fusion they use is more than enough power to keep them going. The main reason of why the machines have persisted in letting the 6 different Zions exist was to find out what emotion was and what made humans feel them. If you watch both editions of the Second Renaissance in the Animatrix, you'll find that all the machines ever wanted to do was to become human. Through the all opression and hatred and war that was forced upon them, they just wanted to be human. That's why they didn't just go and wipe out the human race when they won the war. That's why they made the Matrix and sent in intuitive programs like the Oracle and Persophne in to study humans and find out what emotions are all about. At the end of Revolutions when the Rama Kandra program and his wife have a child, they finally find out what emotion is, and thus, keeping humans in the Matrix is no longer necessary. The humans who don't want to go out can stay in, and those who want to go out into the real world can.

15. BadAzzSnowboarder

BadAzzSnowboarder New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Malibu, CA
    The movie was whatevers. Didn't like it or hate it. Just in between. I liked some of the action sequences but was utterly uninvolved with the story as was the case for Reloaded.

Maybe if the ending hadn't been so bad, I would have liked Revolutions.

16. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca

good god. please don't use that as an adjective again. it makes you sound like a complete idiot

17. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I thought this was a very very good movie. While there were some things that didn't quite add up (no pun intended), the entertainment was great. The human guy that was occupied by Agent SMith did a great job! I thought it was interesting how he awakened Neo once again - and how..

spoiler...

towards the end when Neo and Trinity approach Machine City, Neo's powers are used to get by the bullet/sentinels. It was like the first one where in that one, Neo was ahead of his destiny just like in the end of the second one, he was also ahead of his destiny. And the final fight scene with Neo and Smith was pretty cool - sorry, but I think it did have a sort of DBZ effect with the emphasis on magnitude. But Still I was blown away with the special effects - the huge ball and warp in the matrix when they collided was neat.

I do wish the architect had more of a role - I liked that guy in the second Matrix becuase he was so incredibly stern and cold. And I thought it was pretty well emphasized how the balance was established with Neo/Smith, the Architect/Oracle. I also wish the French guy was in it more. He was funny. And I wish Monica Belluchi was in it more too because she's hot. I think though that one of the hidden treasures in this movie is that Keanu Reeves didn't have many lines. :D

The thing is, I cannot wait to get whatever special edition trilogy comes out on DVD. That's the one that will without a shadow of a doubt have alternative endings to the third one, and all sorts of things inserted into the series as a whole. You cannot tell me that that's the only ending that they anticipate for it!

One more thing... I guess technically, the Machines really didn't need the humans for energy after all?

18. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, it is not plausable as it goes against the laws of thermodynamics, but I don't think it was a lie.
    I think this is just silly. Why would the AI's need to do this? They can just use introspection (they are AI's, after all) - looking at humans hardly seems worthwhile. It isn't like we have any real understanding either.
    Those programs were created after the first couple Matrixes were already built. They were not the reason for the Matrix.
    There were programs that already knew what emotion was. Smith was emotional in the first movie.

I hated the Animatrix.

19. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Re: SPOILER++++++

I think it was so that the One could be freed and given a goal, instead of being a loose cannon in the Matrix.
    Well of course it is. The machines have all the power. Of course they define what happens. That is what power means. The idea that a small group of people can change the world is just fantasy. I'm glad that the Matrix sequels were more realistic in this regard.

20. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't think "profound" is the right word. I think a better one would be... "banal". It is an absolutly worthless statement - even worse than worthless in that it gives you an incorrect view of the world. Although it certainly fits a story whose very basis for existing is the idea that complexity and technology and intellect are the tools of darkness.

The reason that there were endless dialogues on choice and fate is because it is an intractable problem. You are not going to find the solution from a slogan taken from a tea cozy. The philosophy in the Matrix was used for effect so it isn't really a primer on modern thought, but there are certainly valid and interesting ideas in there.

21. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is the part I liked the best about Reloaded. The first movie ended on an unnatural high-point. It is like ending the story of Communist China after Mao's Long Walk or the story of WWII after Pearl Harbor or the story of the Invasion of Iraq after toppling the statue of Saddam. Life goes on, and you cannot maintain revolutionary fervor forever. I absolutly would have hated to see the trilogy end with all the humans being awakened and the machines destroyed. It would glossed over the inevitable and horroble death of millions as the naked, helpless people are left on the barren, lifeless surface (just like Return of the Jedi glosses over the inevitable apocalypse of the Ewok species from the falling debris of the Death Star).

22. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hrm. I just got back from seeing it, and - IMO - there were some pretty unsatisfying aspects from the initial viewing. I think I need another viewing (and some time) to digest.

It does seem pretty obvious to me that these movies were about as linked as A New Hope was to the other two Star Wars flicks (of the original three).

Of course, the biggest problem, for me, is Neo's capability to "see". I suppose that might be a residual of his original melding with Smith - and what enabled him to be in Limbo and physically separated from his body. IIRC, he couldn't see anything that wasn't a part of the matrix/machine world - like the ship, tunnels, Trinity, etc. Actually, the more I think about it the more sense that makes.

This trilogy makes a strong statement against "free will", beyond the speech by the Merovingian. Also interesting is it's rejection of nihilism, which most people who believe in free will say is the ultimate outcome of the lack of it.

23. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw it last night. I was a little disappointed, but satisfied.

24. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I gave in and saw it yesterday. Not bad, but not great either. I do think it would be helpful for someone to put together a "Matrix Trilogy for Dummies" guide to help out those of us who have seen the movies only once and who have limited knowledge of philosophy. I don't consider myself to be a person who is slow on the uptake, but I have to say that I am still trying to sort things out from Reloaded and Revolutions.

One thing that some of you Matrix gurus might explain to me is this: It seems that the main objective of the humans' war against the machines was to free everyone from the slavery of the Matrix. How has this objective been achieved with the truce that exists between man and machine at the end of the flick? The Architect says that those who want to be freed from the Matrix will be freed. I understand that the primary theme of the movie is choice and free will, but how does that theme square with the fact that we'll apparently still have some human coppertops (i.e., those people who either don't know that the Matrix is an artificial construct or those who find out that it is artificial but choose to stay connected)?

25. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    My guess is people who want to be freed get freed, those who don't live out their lives in the matrix and when they die, that's it. Eventually there will be no more coppertops.

So, there will be people who are never freed from the matrix and die believing they live in the real world.