The Matildas Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Australia' started by el-capitano, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Wikis threw me off; I stand corrected. Don't know who is the successor because the Wiki page for the team right now is a bit outdated; I go by what's on there. Going back to what I was saying, Australia deserve to be in the finals, because it's like this: Japan, North Korea, China PR and Australia are the top four women's sides in the AFC. For Australia to be the odd team out in this tournament is a huge slap in the face.

The fact that Sermanni is now the USA women's coach...fml... :sick:

2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I was referring to the fact that I wasn't sure if you knew this was Sermanni's last hurrah. As Akitod pointed out, he's no longer our problem, more the women's board on BigSoccer just over there a little bit ------> ;)

Hachiko repped this.
  3. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    only 5 good teams in Asia. And in this tournament 3 of them automatically qualify for the final. for EAFF, one of the other two has to miss out. Too bad, too sad. Maybe next time we try and host the qualifiers and get a crowd to cheer them on - makes a big difference even with 2,000 people somewhere like Canberra, Coffs Harbour, or Gosford.

Some of the other women's tournaments set up 5 team round robins or 6 team round robins to cater for this, almost ensuring all 5 get into the finals, with a token 6th team there for experience [goal difference]. This one has an odd format.

We are good enough quality team to play in the 2013 Algarve Cup (or Cyprus Cup) - both of which are end of February after the W-League finishes.

Hachiko repped this.
  4. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duly noted.

5. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Even the women are going Dutch. :)

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/matildas/news/1134137/de-reus-to-coach-matildas

6. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Matildas training squad is (caps - goals in brackets):
    Teigen ALLEN - 22 (0)
    Laura ALLEWAY - 14 (0)
    Mackenzie ARNOLD (gk) - 2 (0)
    Danielle BROGAN* - 5 (0)
    Ashley BROWN* - 6 (1)
    Ellie BRUSH - 2 (0)
    Kim CARROLL* - 48 (2)
    Stephanie CATLEY - 9 (1)
    Amy CHAPMAN - 18 (4)
    Brianna DAVEY* - 4 (0)
    Lisa DE VANNA - 79 (30)
    Caitlin FOORD - 15 (1)
    Heather GARRIOCK* - 130 (20)
    Emily GIELNIK - 4 (0)
    Kathryn GILL* - 72 (37)
    Katrina GORRY - 4 (0)
    Michelle HEYMAN - 8 (3)
    Elise KELLOND-KNIGHT - 30 (0)
    Alanna KENNEDY - 7 (0)
    Samantha KERR - 22 (3)
    Shamiran KHAMIS (gk) - uncapped
    Leena KHAMIS* - 19 (5)
    Aivi LUIK* - 15 (0)
    Collette McCALLUM - 76 (11)
    Ellyse PERRY* - 18 (3)
    Teresa POLIAS - 2 (0)
    Clare POLKINGHORNE - 60 (2)
    Renee ROLLASON - 8 (4)
    Kyah SIMON - 39 (10)
    Servet UZUNLAR - 37 (2)
    Emily VAN EGMOND - 16 (3)

*Reduced training load

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/matildas/news/1141346/New-era-for-the-Matildas-begins

7. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    You Aussie fans seem unaware that she has been making a nuisance of herself?

8. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    See this and this.

9. Matilda Maniac

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    very aware of her profile - she's almost getting the same coverage reserved for female swimmers or athletes that they get every two years or so (olympics/commonwealth games). Good for both sports. Just wish the media wouldn't MOSTLY focus on commentating about choosing codes, or lack of decision on choosing codes.

Ellyse for PM. :thumbsup:

el-capitano repped this.
  10. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Sorry mate but old news. My lil bro - Cricket fan - has been in love for years. To many Aussies, that perfect sporty girl next door.

11. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    As an addendum - I'm a big Triple J fan an Elise is fricken boss!

12. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If I were a decade younger...... :D

13. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football/mentality-change-de-reus-the-first-touch-of-a-bright-future-20130511-2jek4.html#ixzz2TDqZvu4W

14. Steve#26

Steve#26 New Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    National Team coaches;
    Hesterine De Reus - Seniors
    Spenser Prior - U20's
    Alan Stajic - U17's (after Vicki Lynton went to San Francisco)

Although Nicola Williams and Belinda Wilson are assistant coaches for U20's and U17's respectively. Hesterine's apprentices maybe.

el-capitano repped this.
  15. Sporting Sheilas

Sporting Sheilas New Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  16. Steve#26

Steve#26 New Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Watched Heather Garriok play with the NTC girls last night against the boys.
    Post baby, she's playing awesome as ever. Certainly on a mission to get back into it.

I hope she's re-signing with Sydney FC this summer.

17. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1167575/Matildas-to-face-USA-in-Texas

18. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/matildas/news/1174801/Matildas-drawn-against-Japan

19. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.news.com.au/sport/footba...ining-commitment/story-fndkzvnd-1227188159674

20. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    That is impressive for the girls. I would like to see them play some NPL teams (or mens team). I remember when I was at uni the Matildas played our team (ANU), who were in the second tiered league of the ACT at the time. Our firsts won comfortable. I know women's soccer has come on leaps and bounds since that time, but I still feel that competing against mens teams is the only way for some of these teams to get better.

Also whilst with ANU we had a girl who played in our thirds (I played fifths or lower). She was a gun and loved the challenge of playing with the men.

Would be good to see how much they can improve playing against mens teams.

21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Squad named for the World Cup:

Matildas squad: Lydia Williams (GK, Washington Spirit), Melissa Hudson (GK, Adelaide United), Mackenzie Arnold (GK, Perth Glory); Clare Polkinghorne (D, Brisbane Roar), Laura Alleway (D, Brisbane Roar), Servet Uzunlar (D, Sydney FC), Steph Catley (D, Melbourne Victory), Elise Kellond-Knight (D, Brisbane Roar); Emily van Egmond (M, Newcastle Jets), Katrina Gorry (M, Brisbane Roar), Nicola Bolger (M, Sydney FC), Ashleigh Sykes (M, Canberra United), Leena Khamis (M, Sydney FC), Tameka Butt (M, Brisbane Roar), Alanna Kennedy (M, Perth Glory), Teresa Polias (M, Sydney FC), Hayley Raso (M, Brisbane Roar); Lisa de Vanna (F, Melbourne Victory), Caitlin Foord (F, Perth Glory), Kyah Simon (F, Sydney FC), Michelle Heyman (F, Canberra United), Larissa Crummer (F, Brisbane Roar).

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/foot...rld-cup-in-canada/ar-BBjExL0?ocid=mailsignout

22. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Can't believe Gill didn't get a run ... best striker in the W-League by a country mile, and her physical presence is always telling.

23. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Tuesday morning- game 1

FIFA WOMEN’S WORLD CUP

Group D — Double header

US v Australia at Winnipeg Stadium

Kick off: 9.30am (EST): 9am (CST): 6.30am (WA)

TV: SBS

STAR PLAYERS

Australia

Katrina Gorry — The reigning AFC Asian player of the year is the driving force in the Matildas midfield. She has a deadly shot from long range and immaculate vision which can break any defence open with perfectly weighted passes.

US

Megan Rapinoe — The Seattle Reign midfielder is brilliant to watch. The US skipper can lay off cheeky angled passes, is not afraid to shoot from long distance to surprise goalkeepers and has a bag of tricks up her sleeve which bamboozles defenders.

THE SQUADS

US: 1. Hope Solo, 2, Sydney La Roux, 3. Christine Rampone, 4. Becky Sauerbrunn, 5. Kelly O’ Hara, 6. Whitney Engen, 7. Shannon Boxx, 8. Amy Rodriguez, 9. Heather O’Reilly, 10. Carli Lloyd, 11. Ali Krieger, 12. Lauren Holiday, 13. Alex Morgan, 14. Morgan Brian, 15. Megan Rapinoe, 16. Laura Chalupny, 17. Tobin Heath, 18. Ashlyn Harris, 19. Julie Johnstone, 20. Abby Wambach, 21. Alyssa Naeher, 22. Megan Klingberg, 23. Christen Press: Coach: Jill Ellis

AUSTRALIA: 1. Lydia Williams, 2. Larissa Crummer, 3. Ashleigh Sykes, 4. Clare Polkinghorne, 5. Laura Alleway, 6. Servet Uzunlar, 7. Steph Catley, 8. Elise Kellond-Knight, 9. Caitlin Foord, 10. Emily van Egmond, 11. Lisa De Vanna, 12. Leena Khamis, 13. Tameka Butt, 14. Alanna Kennedy, 15. Teresa Polias, 16. Hayley Raso, 17. Kyah Simon, 18. Melissa Barbieri, 19. Katrina Gorry, 20. Samantha Kerr, 21. Mackenzie Arnold, 22. Nicola Bolger, 23. Michelle Heyman: Coach Alen Stajcic

http://www.news.com.au/sport/footba...p-d-rival-the-us/story-fndkzvnd-1227387261653

24. Matilda Maniac

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    el-capitano repped this.
  25. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It was almost as bad as that match review of the US game that raised a few eyebrows..... :eek: