The Matildas Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Australia' started by el-capitano, Nov 22, 2007.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Almost here:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/footbal...ung-matildas-eye-for-goal-20110627-1gndi.html

2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/footbal...razil-in-world-cup-opener-20110628-1gp78.html

3. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think that's a mistake. For one, she still hasn't explained what that extra 'o' is doing in her name.

4. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Close- but no cigar. :(

FIFA Women’s World Cup – Group D
    Australia 0
    Brazil 1 (ROSANA 54’)
    29 June 2011
    Borussia Park, Mönchengladbach
    Local kick-off: 6.15pm (30 June, 2011 - 2.15am AEST / 1.45am ACST / 12.15am AWST)
    Referee: Jenny PALMQVIST (Sweden)
    Assistant referees: Helen KARO (Sweden) and Anna NYSTROM (Sweden)
    Fourth official: Thalia MITSI (Greece)

Australia starting line-up: 1.Melissa BARBIERI (gk) (c), 3.Kim CARROLL, 7.Heather GARRIOCK, 8.Elise KELLOND-KNIGHT, 9.Caitlin FOORD, 10.Servet UZUNLAR, 11.Lisa DE VANNA, 12.Emily van EGMOND (15.Sally SHIPARD 61’), 13.Tameka BUTT (4.Clare POLKINGHORNE 86’), 14.Collette McCALLUM, 17.Kyah SIMON (20.Sam KERR 79’)

Substitutes not used: 18.Lydia WILLIAMS (gk), 2.Teigen ALLEN, 5.Laura ALLEWAY, 6.Ellyse PERRY, 16.Lauren COLTHORPE, 19.Leena KHAMIS, 21.Casey DUMONT (gk)

http://www.sydneyfc.com/default.asp...96&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

5. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Back with a win. ;)

Matildas line-up: 18. Lydia Williams; 3. Kim CARROLL, 7. Heather GARRIOCK, 8. Elise KELLOND-KNIGHT, 10. Servet UZUNLAR, 12. Emily VAN EGMOND, 14. Collette McCALLUM (c) (4. Clare Polkinghorne 78'), 15. Sally SHIPARD (11. Lisa De Vanna 46'), 16. Lauren COLTHORPE, 19. Leena KHAMIS, 20. Samantha KERR (2. Teigan Allen 69').

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/match/report/157361/Australia-vs-Equatorial-Guinea

6. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Weird game.

7. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The funny bit was how the Tele was reporting it. They were going with the angle of "Was this the worst handball ever?"

8. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Sermanni: We Won't Play For The Draw

9. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Big game's tonight.

Girls are taking it fairly casually. ;)

[​IMG]

10. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Norway: tick

Sweden: next to be ticked off on our Scandanavian tour. ;)

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/football...n-double-fires-australia-into-quarter-finals/

11. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Not satisfied at all with how we played.

I'd love to see what McCallum could do playing alongside two other midfielders to hopefully give her more space.

She is our best player and so far, we havent been able to use her strengths efficiently, while she is also looking for the 'hollywood ball' too often.

I know she's only 16, but anyone else disappointed with Caitlin Foord? She looks like someone that hasn't had to learn the tactical subtleties of the game and has relied on her athleticism to get this far.

Garriock has also frustrated me with some really 'non-experienced-player' type of mistakes (getting caught in possession in dangerous areas etc).

12. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    2-0 down and not looking good. We've been poor defensively which is disappointing. I like our bravado pushing forward (would be better if we could hold the ball more) it's no guts no glory time. We need to realise that tactically and technically we are being outdone this game and we need to show some more positivity.

13. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Perry. I'm in love!!! :) Haha that was epic!!!

14. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  15. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    They did play better once we were two goals down. But, as alluded to in the commentary, this is a young group of girls, and we havent seen the best of them yet. They can only improve from this performance, and even playing with such simple mistakes, they still made the quarters. It does look positive for the 2015 WC. ;)

16. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Carroll had a shocker defensively. That 3rd goal :eek:. Is she usually that poorly composed? I like the look of Foord. Shes zippy and dangerous. De Vanna was also good. I think we have a lot of threatening players but we are tactically naive and just crap defensively. Need to imporve in these areas.

17. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I praise Fozzy for his analysis of this team and their performances.

We need to grow up and have a winning mentality, not a losers mentality.

It seems like we're satisfied too easily and aren't striving for perfection, or at least, to be the best...and that mentality starts with the shit Australian football culture. This couldve been changed by the coaching staff, however, they didn't, and that was disappointing.

Although it's not much, the difference in the comments by Ellyse Perry and Tom Sermanni after the match highlights what we need and what we dont need.

I can't find the full quotes, but Perry was accountable for her own actions, her own mistakes and made it clear it was her responsibility to step up, whereas Sermanni was consistently, after every match explaining how he was proud of the effort and we were lucky to get to where we were.

Perry:
    "It was nice to get a goal there because they obviously scored those first two goals from plays down my side of there field, so I kind of felt like I owed the team a little bit."

In regards to the actual play, I was amazed that Sermanni didn't alter the team to ensure Sweden were unable to control the game.

Sweden's forwards started in fairly common positions when playing two strikers, however, their movement with the wide-midfielders was what killed us.

During Sweden's build-up phase, their wide-midfielders would drop deep to receive possession, and our full-backs would mark them (seemed like man-marking) to wherever they went. When this happened, the strikers would move wide in a similar fashion to Nilmar/Rossi at Villarreal, taking our central defenders with them. This then created a large gap in the middle of the field where either the other striker, or one of Sweden's midfielders would push forward into the space.

Again and again this happened, with Sweden dragging our players to WHERE THEY WANTED US TO GO!!! Why, Tom? Why?

A simple solution wouldve been to continue to play the 4-4-2 system that they played (although there were major mistakes in that anyway) but played purely zonal.

More negatives:
    Heather Garriock. She was arguably the worst player on our team and one of the least effective players out of all of the last 8 teams. Too many touches on the ball, getting caught in possession, working harder when she had the ball and not working hard enough off the ball (leaving De Vanna to do a lot of the work for her), taking over-ambitious shots when she had teammates open, poor final ball...anything else? Seriously, she looked like the least experienced player in our team. The best thing for this team would be to get rid of her immediately.

Someone please tell McCallum that attempting a "hollywood" ball every time you have possession facing forwards IS NOT GOOD FOOTBALL. The best pass, especially for central midfielders, is the 10-15 metre forward pass that eliminates at least one member of the opposition, forcing her to turn around facing her own goal. She could be the best player in the world, but she clearly doesnt understand the game well enough, yet. If she learns, we could dominate any team.

Positives:
    Lisa De Vanna. She has the winning mentality that we need from ALL of our players. In the first match, she did try to do a little too much, but after that she was outstanding, with and without the ball. It's a pity some of her teammates didnt show the same application and maturity.

Carroll and Kellond-Knight were also fairly good, excluding the latter's defensive efforts in the Swedish game.

Overall, in my opinion, this was a very disappointing WC. We had the capability to do a lot more, and the final 2 games were a showing for the "bad" Australia.

I really hope we improve.

18. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football/criticism-puts-joeys-coach-on-offensive-20110711-1hauc.html

19. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Caitlin Foord wins young player award:

http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/organisation/media/newsid=1475411/index.html

20. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Olympics qualifiers squad named:

Westfield Matildas FIFA Women’s World Cup 2011 squad

Name Caps Age Club

Teigen Allen 9 (0) 2010-2011 17 Sydney FC

Laura Alleway 4 (0) 2010-2011 21 Brisbane Roar

Melissa Barbieri 80 (0) 2002–2011 31 Melbourne Victory

Tameka Butt 23 (1) 2007–2011 19 Brisbane Roar

Kim Carroll 44 (2) 2005–2011 23 Brisbane Roar

Lisa De Vanna 71 (25) 2004–2011 26 Brisbane Roar/magicJack

Caitlin Foord 5 (1) 2011 16 Sydney FC

Heather Garriock 125 (20) 1999–2011 28 Sydney FC/LdB Malmo

Elise Kellond-Knight 25 (0) 2007–2011 20 Brisbane Roar

Samantha Kerr 18 (3) 2009–2011 17 Perth Glory

Aivi Luik 12 (0) 2010-2011 25 Brisbane Roar

Collette McCallum 68 (11) 2005–2011 25 Perth Glory

Clare Polkinghorne 49 (2) 2006–2011 22 Brisbane Roar

Sally Shipard 57 (4) 2004–2011 25 Canberra United

Kyah Simon 29 (7) 2007–2011 19 Sydney FC

Thea Slatyer 46 (2) 2002-2010 27 Uncontracted

Servet Uzunlar 26 (1) 2008–2011 21 Sydney FC

Emily van Egmond 8 (1) 2010-2011 17 Canberra United

Sarah Walsh 62 (29) 2004-2010 27 Sydney FC

Lydia Williams 26 (0) 2005–2011 23 Canberra United

http://www.sydneyfc.com/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=40660

21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1070945/Sermanni-expects-difficult-tournament

22. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    And Kerr's out:

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/matildas/news/1070415/kerr-ruled-out-of-olympic-qualifiers

23. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    1-0 loss to DPR Korea.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1071247/Matildas-lose-to-DPR-Korea

24. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    From Mr Tom's post-match comments, I wonder if we actually care about keeping a clean sheet...ever.

Can we learn how to defend as a team first, please?

25. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Still couldn't do it against Thailand either: ;)

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/matildas/news/1071511/Matildas-put-five-past-Thailand