The math of death

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by MeridianFC, Jul 4, 2013.

1. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    DCU (9 points, GF 8, GD -21)
    48 possible points remaining
    Huston currently own last playoff spot (23 points, GF 19, GD 1)

When will mathematical elimination happen?

Jul 7 at Colorado
    Jul 20 at Chicago
    Jul 27 vs New England
    Aug 3 vs Montreal
    Aug 10 at Philadelphia
    Aug 17 at Montreal
    Aug 24 vs Toronto FC
    Aug 31 at New York
    Sep 8 at Chivas USA
    Sep 15 vs Los Angeles
    Sep 21 at New England
    Sep 28 at Toronto FC
    Oct 4 vs Chicago
    Oct 12 vs Philadelphia
    Oct 18 at Sporting Kansas City
    Oct 27 vs Houston

2. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    August 17 at Montreal.

OTOH, we clinch the Wooden Spoon on Sep 28 at Toronto, giving us three home matches in the final month where we can celebrate our futility.

Thx,

Jay!

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Our Tragic Number is 38. Combining our points lost, and the points gained by other teams, I figure that whittles down to zero by September 8 or 15.

4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I expect we'll get a 0-0 tie at some point and beat the Metros, hence I picked the later date.

Thx,

Jay!

5. Shammypantaloons

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    At 13 losses, where every team in a playoff run in the last few years loses at least 3 in the second half of the season (putting us at 15 losses minimum), the chances are essentially zero right now. We'd have to basically win out from this point, literally, to make it. So basically 12 wins, 4 draws and no losses to end the season is what we likely need (48 pts), assuming the weakest Eastern conference in the last 3 years.

henryo repped this.
  6. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    What's that have to do with when mathematical elimination happens?

Thx,

Jay!

Barbieri repped this.
  7. Shammypantaloons

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Because the idea of mathematical elimination is based on a few factors: 1) how many points you can earn and in what way; 2) the pace of point earning by your competitors and 3) patterns and trends in point totals in previous years.

If you want to know when we're eliminated, you need to table the remaining games and possible points earned in such a way.

(1) 16-0-0 = 48pts + 8(current points) = 56 points
    (2) 15-0-1 or 15-1-0= 45-46pts + 8(current points) = 53-54 points
    (3) 14-0-2 or 14-1-1 = 42-43pts + 8(current points) = 50-51 points
    (4) 13-0-3 or 13-1-2 or 13-2-1 or 13-3-0 = 39-42pts + 8(current points) = 47-50 points
    (5) 12...

Thus, if you lose a single game, you can eliminate scenario (1) and scenario (2a), as well as scenario 3(a) and scenarios (4) and 5(a). Scenarios 6(x) do not net you enough points to make the playoffs, but you lose all scenarios involving no wins anyway.

Second, you have to consider the current pace of points earned by competitors. If you extend the table out, we see this as the final playoff earning point totals for the Eastern Conference:

64 (Montreal)
    51 (New York)
    51 (Philly)
    51 (SKC)
    46(Houston)

In previous years, entry to the playoffs required 53 points (2012) and 46 (2011), so it might be safe to assume that 47 might get you entry to the playoffs this year given what we've seen.

So the worst "realistic" records we could use to get into the playoffs this year include:

(1) 12W-0L-4D (netting us 48 points) [Gone with the first loss]
    (2) 12W-1L-3D (netting us 47 points) [Gone with 2 losses]
    (3) 13W-3L-0D (netting us 47 points) [Gone with 4 losses; else first draw moves us to (4)]
    (4) 13W-2L-1D (netting us 48 points) [Gone with 3 losses; else 2 draws sends us to (5)]
    (5) 13W-1L-2D (netting us 49 points) [Gone with 2 losses]

We cannot get less than 12 wins and make the playoffs given these estimations, because even a record of 11W-0L-5D nets us only 46 points.

henryo and Kempa repped this.
  8. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    So, what game did you pick there?

Thx,

Jay!

Barbieri and Bootsy Collins repped this.
  9. Shammypantaloons

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    The question itself is awkward, because, as I mentioned, elimination is a function of what other teams are doing. In the best case scenario, given the current table, we have 3 losses to give (theoretically), unless we get draws. If we lose consecutively, then we are eliminated July 27 vs. New England. If the East worsens as a conference, we may not be eliminated until August 3. If we get draws and losses, we may be in it until August 10th (2L-2D). If we win games, it gets extended a week until we hit 3 losses. Theoretically we're a bit far off from mathematical elimination to wonder about it, but in reality, we've been out for a few weeks.

henryo repped this.
  10. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    if you didn't want to play, you didn't have to post. There's nothing ambiguous about the question at all. Pick a date, have fun laughing at the expense of DC United.

Thx,

Jay!

11. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though there is a remote mathematical possibility that DC can make the playoffs this year, they are already eliminated, mentally. Stick a fork in them, they're done. I honestly don't see United earning another point this season. They. Are. That. Awful.

I'll take 7/7 since 5/8 is not an option. :(

henryo and JayRockers! repped this.
  12. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's part of what makes it "fun" -- you're making a guess.

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    We've been eliminated as a practical matter for quite a bit longer than that.

Anyway, you can basically put a number on mathematical elimination. On average, we lose about 2.5 PPG. Everyone else in the east gains about 1.4 PPG. If that continues, then in 10 games we'll be out 25 points, and everyone else will have gained about 14. Add those together and you get 39 -- which is 1 point more than our current tragic number (ie how many points gained/lost until we're eliminated). The LA game on September 15 is that 10th game.

Maybe we'll do a bit better and won't lose points as fast. But that 1.4 PPG is a really low end measure for playoff bound teams in the east. The top 5 teams in the east are actually averaging 1.56 PPG. That said, even using those numbers, we're still looking at mathematical elimination in 10 games.

henryo, dadman and JayRockers! repped this.
  14. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elimination is a function I am compelled to do when I see United play, this season...

Hedbal and Bootsy Collins repped this.
  15. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team has been eliminating on the field since the second game of the season.

Barbieri repped this.
  16. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'll go with September 15.

JayRockers! repped this.
  17. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect United will get about 2 points out of their next 7 games. So, how about 8/31, losing to NY. It seems feasible they will be 25 points out with 24 points available.

To me, when they were destroyed by Houston 4-0 at home and looked phenomenally bad doing it, I said out loud they had no chance but deep, deep inside I held out hope. Then when they lost at home to TFC, that voice was quieted forever.

henryo, dadman and JayRockers! repped this.
  18. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Predicting when we get mathematically eliminated from the playoffs is like being tied to the railroad tracks and hearing a train coming.

You don't know exactly when you are going to be run over, but you know it's coming eventually.

henryo repped this.
  19. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    here is a straight line formula that predicts with 100% accuracy the date:

1.36 Points to gain last playoff spot
    34 Games in season
    46.24 Total need to make playoff
    9 Points to date
    37.24 Points needed by DCU
    16 DC Matches left
    Points need per match

Once the 'points need per match' equals 3, DCU is out; end of season. DC will need to have 12 or more points when we reach 12 matches to go (4 more matches) or that's it ...

I feel like a buzzard. Pass the BBQ sauce ...

20. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    The math I'm more interested in is goals.

Can we get to 17 goals by the end of year so we can finish above .50 per game?

How many players in MLS will have more goals than entire DC roster combined? Magee, mcInerney, Di Vaio and Camilo look in good shape now.

And lastly can our leading scorer get to the 4 goal mark before the end of the year?

henryo and dadman repped this.
  21. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Own Goal? I have no doubt he'll get well past that.

ericmann78, scruggs45, dadman and 5 others repped this.
  22. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was over May. We'll end the season with less then 24 points

23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

Own Goal's been playing great ... but can he defend?

24. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has to earn the right to play.

bigredfutbol, song219, scruggs45 and 2 others repped this.
  25. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    He's never offside, that's a start.

Thx,

Jay!