The Maruice Clarett case goes to Capitol Hill

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: The Maruice Clarett case goes to Capitol Hill

Actually, he's not academically ineligible. He made grades. There is an accusation of impropriety by a prof, but I don't think that has legs, and at any rate has not been resolved.

He was declared ineligible for a) receiving improper aid (someone paid for his cell phone, and a few other minor gifts totalling "in the thousands of dollars") and b) allegedly lying about it to NCAA and university investigators. The car, while IMO shady, was not mentioned as a factor. I'm not even certain the falsified police report was a factor, tho it may have been.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Clarett were in the NFL this year, what would likely be the race of the player who would lose his job? Gringo?

That's why I don't see this as a racial case.
    OK, but this is different from what you were arguing before. You were arguing that the reserve clause was illegal the day it was written. Remember?

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/M/Messersmith_Andy.stm

So there you have it...Seitz did NOT rule that the reserve clause was illegal, he just said that the language

Meant one year, one time. Not one year, each and every March 1. Us older folks remember the now-obsolete phrase "option year." ;)

Eric Swann came out of Harnett County NC, and never played in college. IIRC, he played one year of semi-pro ball before going to the NFL before he otherwise would have been able to. But that predated the 1990 rule. Back then, that was a loophole in the rule, but I think the NFL closed it after him.

3. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Re: Re: Re: The Maruice Clarett case goes to Capitol Hill

Yo, SD. Still waitin' on that 'pology.

4. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    MLS can employ 15 and 16 year olds, but the NFL is denying a player over the age of 18 the chance to play?

And why are we all pretending that the idea of a student-athlete has any relevance anymore? The NCAA is about education like "Hamlet" was about ham - stop me if I've told you that one.

Let the universities fund semipro - or, hell, real pro - teams like they do in Mexico. At least UNAM didn't indulge the idiocy of pretending Jorge Campos had to keep his grades up.

5. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    I know, being a President's Club and Buckeye Club member, which at the Big Ten level is a minimum of $2,500 a year, that is the level to have the ability to just buy tickets for one season. There are higher levels of donation and many do pay more than the minimum.

Not to get too detailed in local issues, but both clubs mentioned above are seperate, but if you donate to the Buckeye Club at the minimum of $2,500, you get to be a President Club member, but the money goes directly to the Athletic department, ie: Andy-Land.

Side note:
    I did receive a nice hand written letter last year. It was a soccer player at OSU. He thanked me personally (yea, I know they were told to write it) for basicly paying for his scholarship.

Then, regular old tickets are $47 a pop. The new skyboxes must be crazy money.

I get alumni tickets, too, but they suck. One game a season by some lottery/priority deal, in C deck (top level) and in the South stands!

6. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro

These are the same bullies that now force the NFL teams to "at least interview" a black coach in the case of any head coach opening.

A token interview must be better than no interview, but the NFL is 70% black player and what 3 head coaches?

Nice in theory, but in practice it seems rather pointless. But, as in any corporate structure, getting interviews can only help you down the road.

As far as we all know, Clarett's suspension is due to NCAA rules, not academic violations. OSU has given this punishment to him before the NCAA actually rules the number of games they require for such a violation. In the end, the NCAA usually accepts the school self-impossed punishment as time served. That said, OSU is still offering him a free education this school year.

7. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    The "rule" as I have heard it says something to the effect, 'the third year of the person's high school class' meaning that if you were part of the Class of 2000, you'd have to wait for the end of the 2003 school year.

This is interesting.

If many don't know, Clarett had a good first season due to working hard, natural ability and (this is key) he finished school before his high school class did. That meant that he could enroll at OSU early. He worked with the OSU team in the winter weight room and spring football. He learned the system early. As of right now, he has been enrolled at OSU for over one year and going on two...two full school years.

Does that mean, he doesn't have to wait for his class? He finished before them. The NFL will and has allowed a player to leave after two season due to "hardship" cases, so the real time difference for Maurice is less than a full year!

8. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    And he never went to class.

My dad played varsity soccer at OSU in the 70s, tried out for the kicker job but lost it to his good friend Vlade. He had classes with Archie, and he never showed. My dad worked in the Slavic center very close to coach Hayes. To close the circle here, my brother coach's Greg Geiger (Andy's son) in soccer at Jones middle school in Upper Arlington. :D Funny how the world works.

That said, my dad got a degree in Military Sciences with a focus on diplomacy. If these players want to major in Football, they should. Teach them how to run a team, run the practices, coaching techniques, and whatnot.

As for the stipend, ROTC guys get them. I got $100 a month from the Marines and we had no on campus deal like the Navy, Army or Air Force.

The question is the cost of living.
    To say for example, $200 a month in Columbus would be nice for movies and dates, but at UCLA?

I can see it now...

Come to Los Angeles because we offer more stipend!

9. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro

And, in the NCAA's wisdom...

He has to still make the grade and re-pay the gifts.

This guy is not allowed to have a job during the season. Maybe in the summer he could make enough to pay it back. To think, all this is related to his old boss from a job he had in high school. Irony at its best.

His old boss is the guy who has been helping the kid get along and now in trouble. I don't know their relationship, but it is nice to have such support. It is obvious that this support was coming before he went to Columbus.