The market for strikers

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by theodore, Jan 24, 2008.

1. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    interesting to see what goes on in the minds of other teams:
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=503146&root=mls&cc=5901

2. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    I wouldn't call anyone they signed other than Gallardo reputable. They signed a backup keeper, a player who has scored like 3 goals in 20 games for a bad Argentine team and a couple of defenders.

3. *Jade*

*Jade* New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    USA
    Thanks Theo for answering my question. Well that's too bad that this team doesn't want a true striker which is what Martin is. A pure striker doesn't have to be creative that's what the playmaker is for.:p

Well this league is going to be very boring for me if there aren't any #9 strikers like Christian Vieri, Fernando Morientes or Martin Palermo playing.Lol

4. *Jade*

*Jade* New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    USA
    I was just speculating. You don't have to be an ass**** about it!:mad:

I won't bother asking questions again.

5. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's a Fire fan and his comment was nothing but trolling. I'd have deleted it if someone had reported it or I'd actually been reading this thread. ignore him and go on about your business. ;)

6. *Jade*

*Jade* New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    USA
    Oh ok. Thanks:)

7. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    You said it.

That bears repeating. That is precisely one of the biggest needs we have had on this team. Someone to create out of a central role to link w/ the forwards.

Cristian Gomez and Amado Guevara are two guys that could fill these roles. But, I believe our coach has a different philosophy on how you advance the ball as you get near the goal. That difference of philosophy greatly frustrates me as an FCD fan, and is the cause of many conflicts on this board.

8. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gomez would do decently. but his form is declining and he wants way too much money.

Guevara wouldn't do a thing for us. he has the ability to do decently, but he would inevitably clash with coaching and management and permanently cease production. it would be an embarrassing bust, since several other teams are aware of his MO.

the midfield should gel more this season, and Toja could well fill this playmaker role.

9. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I think Toja works his arse off. Does he have the field vision to be a creative playmaker? I don't believe so. Still, most MLS teams don't have this position taken care of either, I'm not overly concerned with that. We can create scoring chances by moving the ball around and spreading the field more than we have previously.

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard a rumour that Vieri might be interested in MLS but he is 33-34 and and seemingly changes teams every year. Kind of think his day has passed unless you pair him with a Donovan type and he isn't DP money.

11. Zé Bill

Zé Bill Member

Mar 21, 2004
  12. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas was shopping Razov... I'd be tempted, depending on what the price is.

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since he's earning some pretty nice coin, I'm not entirely sure what the point would be in getting rid of Ruiz if you'd be bringing in Razov.

14. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well it's less than Ruiz, but I didn't want to move Ruiz only cause of the money. There were several other more important reasons.

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And those reasons would be?

Honestly, outside of a cheaper price, I'm not seeing that Razov brings anything to the table that Ruiz didn't already bring.

16. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to get into Ruiz here as I'm probably going write something about it in the next week or two.

I'm not advocating Razov specifically, was just floating his name as an idea to see what else people thought about him. I would take him over Ruiz for sure.

17. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    He's had some serious injuries the last few years and would be a pretty big gamble for any MLS team.

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tease.
    My stance is "you're either getting better or you're getting worse." I don't think that trading Ruiz and bringing in Razov falls under the heading of "you're getting better."

19. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not possible to stand still?

20. fennsk

fennsk New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    In any business, standing still is getting worse.

21. UncleHulka

UncleHulka Member

Jan 14, 2005
    With a few exceptions, the rest of MLS is getting better, too. Even if Morrow is just too stubborn to move to a two-striker formation, he should've at least found one true winger to compliment Cooper.

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In professional sports, no. And in MLS, definitely not.

23. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as I've said before that depends on how you value Ruiz compared to others. In my book getting Razov for Ruiz would be getting better.

24. soccercptn

soccercptn New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Plano
    I agree with Buzz. Razov was MVP quality for most of last season. He is an injury risk, but was fantastic. He has finally learned how to pass and is much more unselfish than he was before.

The FCD coaching staff I have talked to indicated that they couldn't stand the Ruiz post up game. They want motion, movement up top, players who are good on the run. Razov worked extremely hard all last season, he was all over the place for Chivas, and set up Galindo on numerous ocasions.

I think he would be an upgrade from Ruiz, but I think that he paired well with Galindo becuase of the speed/veteran combo. I don't know if Cooper has the speed to make the other team give the forward line space to work in.

25. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Good info. I, for one, feel better knowing this was a tactical decision more than just a financial. Bad news is that a post-up striker is a necessity without a possession/playmaking MF. And, of course, that still doesn't do much for finding a replacement.

Oduro/Rico/AA could be the speed guy in a pairing with Cooper. I'd just as soon try that and bring in a playmaking MF than bring in Razov who, as you mention, is an injury-risk and a marginal improvement over Ruiz (maybe even the same quality, slightly different style). It would be an interesting experiment to see how a motion and movement forward could do without MF service also...but my hypothesis is, well, not good.