The man wanted in an Orange suit, the search for our next soccer saviour

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by BaritoPutra, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Dwight Lodeweges is leaving the Dutch NT and moving back to PEC Zwolle

Deadtigers repped this.
  2. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  3. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Yep, I have resigned to this fact for a while now. I am very indifference (if not skeptical).

More interesting to me is who will LvG brings as assistant coach(es).

Hopefully somebody who has a decent qualification, and can continue (build up) when LvG finally retires. Cocu or Gio would be my choice. Oranje simply can’t afford another wholesale reboot in 1-2 years, it would be just waste of time for the up-and-comer wonderful talents like De Jong, De Ligt, Malen, Gravenberch.

Deadtigers, bunbohue and wilson00 repped this.
  4. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I like your views, where might one subscribe to your newsletter

5. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Reading that Van Gaal wants to bring in Danny Blind as assistant… what!?? :cautious::confused::mad::speechless:

richsavare repped this.
  6. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    which means dragging with Daley Blind as well. its really time to clear the dead woods and call up those up and coming.

richsavare repped this.
  7. He did well as an assistent in Brasil with van Gaal iirc.

8. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    what did he do?

9. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    KNVB must be forward thinking… Van Gaal won’t last long (he will want to enjoy his retirement). Need an assistant coach who can continue the work when the opportunity presents itself. Blind is anything but. He will bring Oranje back to several years back. Been there, done that.

SF19 repped this.
  10. Help us to get to the semi.
    It became obvious being assistent for the Orange team was his ceiling, being the coach turned out in a disaster.
    Anyway, I think him being mentioned is nonsense, because he's out of coaching for along time and why would he step in and leave a comfortable job at Ajax?

11. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Looks like Henk Fraser is getting a serious consideration to become Louis’ assistant (along with the aforementioned Blind).

IIRC, Fraser did a decent job taking then-relegated Sparta from lower-division to upper half of the Eredivisie table (and European football playoff). Would have liked to see someone with more experience managing top clubs (and big-mouth players), but it seems like managers with that kind of profile won’t likely want to settle with being an assistant. Sigh.

12. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    In 2014 LVG has Blind (defender) and Kluivert (striker). This time he will have Blind and Fraser (both defenders). You can see what LVG is planning to keep the team united. Let's see if this will hold true and if he decides to call up many young players or stick to the same squad that disappointed in Euro for the upcoming WC qualifications.

13. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Looks like it'll be onwards with 5-3-2 under vGaal. A 3-man defense with deLigt, deVrij and Virgil would one of the best defensive walls in the world

https://archive.vn/fVYXF

14. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    "Back to the future" as they say. Van Gaal is better qualified than de Boer. I think the 5-3-2 is fine, but there needs to be flexibility because a side like Holland can afford more men to get forward, especially with the level of quality of the center-backs.

15. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    With more practices and acclimation, I think the 532/352 will work just fine. Oranje has quality options at CB position. The wing backs will get better as Dumfries has made a point, and (hopefully) Wijndal will make a strong progress.

In midfield, need to phase out De Roon very soon... who is presumably no longer needed as the defense gets really tighter with returning Virgil and by virtue more playing time (defenders develops understanding). Gravenberch and Koopmeiners should really be given the priority. Ryan will add muscles in midfield, while Teun is another coveted passer/playmaker.

Attacking line will be just fine.... LvG should be able to motivate and get the best out of Memphis given their past history. Malen and Weghorst are solid options. Maybe a surprise from Gakpo, Danjuma or Lang.

Big question mark right now is the GK. Can't stand the grandpa Stekelenburg anymore. Cillessen is reportedly a long-term injury casualty... not that I rate him to begin with. So yeah, LvG will need a gigantic leap from Bijlow and/or Drommel!!

richsavare and DutchFanatic repped this.
  16. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I dont know how are you saying everything will be ok. Van Gaal probably has a better jab than Frank tatically and somewhat like koeman but this doesnt change the fact that NT still needs others players except for few to step it up a notch. otherwise there will be no end to this cycle of hyping about whats gonna happen under who. there is a lot of assumptions/perceptions in the air that Van Gaal will come in and lift this team up. again we are talking here about what he has done in past with abundance to current day deficiencies in contexts to player quality.

you look back at FDB era, the dragging, draws , only looking good with average teams. this needs to change and then only there will a sense of belief that the change is coming about.

if they drag on with Blind, klaassen and berghuis like players and ignore those players playing for lesser known clubs but with exceptional qualities, forget about anything happening for a change. I have a hard feeling this is whats goanna happen especially with the Ajax connection up there and in this case the faster they bomb out of the qualifiers the better so that an interim coach can be appointed and bring about a strings of changes in term of players selection and rotation to build up for NL next year and 2024,2026

17. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Lots been said about 5-3-2, 3-5-2, 4-3-3, but truth be told it was De Boer who was clearly the problem. Time to move on.
    I don’t care what the formation is as long as Oranje play fast, dynamic, attacking football, and press defensively. They have the ability to do so.
    That said Van Gaal has to get the players to step up their intensity and focus. Mentality has to change for many within Oranje. Not sure a 70 year old average Manager can lift these expectations but I pray that he can.
    I describe Van Gaal as an average Manager due to his historic and disgraceful time in charge of Oranje’s epic failure to Qualify for the 2002 World Cup. I still can’t wrap my brain around this.
    Much work to be done, and only winning is acceptable.
    100% Oranje

wilson00 repped this.
  18. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    I am skeptical with 5-3-2 where build up is slow. Yes the back 3 are strong, but you see what happens when 1 is injured, the remaining 2 cannot afford to make mistakes or getting 2nd yellow. FDJ is too deep in the back to link to attack and Wijnaldum is not like Sneijder to link up to Van Persie and Robben (which are different from Depay and Weghorst; perhaps Memphis-Malen instead?). Is LVG continuing to use Blind as LB as in 2014? Does this mean the expectation for LVG is to win the WC so that he has to play 5-3-2 as it is the best formation with these players? Do we continue to play 5-3-2 after for Nations League and Euro? I am looking forward to player selection and who will start/get playing minutes.

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    van Gaal is astute enough to figure out how to best maximize the players at his disposal. Did anyone think he would craft as good a team as he did back in 2014?

20. I was about the only one then who was posting we would make it into the final. I was laughed at by many foreign posters. Can't remember one of the Dutch posters in here shared my confidence. In the end we were just one penalty short for being in a succesive final for the second time. There was one Yank who was confident too the Orange Squad was going to make waves.

21. Van Gaal has the insight to change tactics when needed during a match. We werenot doing well against Mexico with the 5-3-2 formation, so he changed it in the match back to 4-3-3 and the Mexicans were lost.

22. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Lol... I didn't write everything will be ok. Be better at reading comprehension next time.

My thesis was that this Oranje team will have a reasonable chance to be better in coming weeks/months for all the obvious reasons... the formation, if maintained, will become more familiar to the squad. Virgil is back to shore up the defense. LvG is better tactically than FdB, and demands high respect from his players. LvG and Memphis (who have not been in the zone as of late) had the history of working together. And lastly, the young lions (Memphis and Gravenberch, in particular) are ready to take and own the stage. On the flip side, GK is a troubled spot.

Yep all good points and questions. The bolded part... isn't that all true in all formations? Arguably more profound if you have only 2 CB's at the back. When one goes down or on a yellow, the burden is on the other CB to perform.

LvG "discovered" Van Persie - Robben duo at WC 2014... worked pretty well. So this could be a starting framework for a similar Memphis - Malen partnership.

Anyway...

I've written before that I am not even a fan of LvG appointment. He is old and could be too rigid sometimes. But LvG does have a knack of getting the most of what he had.

And, by far, the one aspect of LvG's appointment that I look forward the most... the fact that LvG is not afraid of introducing and grooming newer (younger) players. They are many of them, you can google the list. It's a near-perfect scenario in this regard, as Oranje are in somewhat in a transition mode. There are a healthy infusion of newcomers wanting to establish themselves.

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  23. nurvin

nurvin Member

Feb 11, 2011
    That’s not a special insight: every coach, when he is not winning, changes the formation in a more offensive way to try to win the match!

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  24. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You exactly know what I meant but are trying to side step. Its was in the same context to what you were talking about.

Defense was never a issue at the euros.even with Van Dijk, the two goals by Czech were clinical finishes. Nothing much anyone could have done especially after the red. "Van Dijk will sore up the defense" well defintely in place of Blind if any. But if all de ligt, De Vrij and Van Dijk start then somebody will have to play out of position because Van Dijk will play more centrally and either of De Vrij or De ligt to decide who starts on right and who starts on the left. A more balanced trio would be De Ligt-Van Dijk- Ake imo or De Vrij-Van Dijk- Ake, but again I dont think defense was an issue. It has been covered in detail here that the midfield simplys lacks the cutting edge and creativity and wijnaldum is currently the best NT has. This is where it get complicated and everything gets clogged.

Going back to 2014, and its on the record, the idea of 3-5-2 was first brought up by koeman who at that time was the coach of feyenoord and during as a guest on one of the shows prior to that WC was asked to demonstate how 3-5-2 would work. He would go on use janmaat as wing back. Now whether Van Gaal inherited this idea or watched that show is another question.

The one place that Van Gaal did turn the table around though was the use of Kyut in specific matches. He really did make an impact even though deployed out of position.

25. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Every coach? The European championships have just given proof that this statement is false

Brilliant Dutch and Orange14 repped this.