The man wanted in an Orange suit, the search for our next soccer saviour

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by BaritoPutra, Apr 16, 2017.

1. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Wow.. many candidates are avoiding Dutch NT like a plague :confused::(

A bit surprising to me, it's not like the cupboard is bare. This team is not in a complete rebuild mode. It has a very nice foundation, and features more-than-decent rising talents across the board! You would think there would be enough ammunition to work with - and make the job somewhat bearable. :cool:

Assuming LVG is done not in consideration.... (though he hasn't ruled out himself as far as I read?) I guess this could come down to Cocu and Gio Van Bronckhorst. Neither will satisfy me... not enough proven record to my liking.

Cocu has been in a very rough patch lately in his managerial career (flopped real badly with Derby County & Rooney). He did have three Eredivisie titles as a manager. Also was an assistant when Oranje made the WC 2010 final (lost to Spain). The potential advantage is that maybe he can get the most out of Memphis (who is in his prime time - and is/will still Oranje's best option forward until somebody else comes to scene). The two previously worked together at PSV.

Gio had one Eredivisie title. Said publicly that he has ambition to manage Oranje, and is currently out of job. Will this enough to get land him the job? Maybe, if he's the last man standing. Would ditch 5-3-2, and switch to a dynamic attacking 4-3-3.

2. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    From a friend. Pep Lijnders??

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If van Gaal is still under consideration, I would rather have Morten Olsen who is also the same age. Olsen had a good track record with the Danish NT. He had decent stint with Ajax but was undercut by the de Boer brothers.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  4. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How about Rangnick?

[​IMG]

5. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    At least he shows his desire to coach Netherlands as much as Koeman showed his desire to coach Barca (....I want to coach ...one day) ;).

6. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    I wonder if the new manager is allowed to pick his own staff or he has to work with the current staff (like FDB did), consider it is less than 2 months to WC qualification.

7. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Breaking!! LVG now front runner for NT coach

8. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Ouch.. Sounds like this is case of nobody else wanting to even be considered for the job, and KNVB is left with a lazy and obvious choice.

I remain skeptical with how serious and motivated LVG is… He’s well into his retirement, likely not as sharp as he used to be.

I guess (hope) this would be a somewhat temporary arrangement… get Oranje to the WC next year (and hopefully perform fairly well there). After the WC, let somebody else take over. Koeman may be out of job by then, or Ten Haag ready for a chance. Or Bosz.

9. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    The ironic thing is that LVG last week already criticized this Oranje team after the EC failure… :confused: incapable glorified bunch of stars, or something like that.

Wonder how that might be felt and received by the team.

Or maybe this his genius setting up the tone :p

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Most everyone on the potential team knows how the 4-3-3 works. My choice in the absence of Sarina is to name van Dijk as the captain and manager. American baseball has had player/managers over the years, and I think the same thing can happen here. Since there is no outstanding choice, let's see the FA be bold and pick VvD!!!

11. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    You can go sit in the corner and put on the hat! You know that idea is madness. LVG is the interim. He buys the KNVB time while they look to find a younger more long term solution post 2022

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    As I have said before, I don't care who they appoint as interim manager. I am not watching the slave labor WC regardless of which teams qualify.:thumbsup: I would just like the Dutch FA to show some real courage and appoint someone out of the box.

13. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    It will be interesting for sure. However, LVG seemed to have an aura/reputation so maybe these players will listen to him. I hope he can get the team qualified for the WC, incorporate younger players and line up nicely for 1 of Koeman, ten Hag or Bosz for Euro 2024. LVG 2.0 improves much better than LVG 1.0 (SF instead of failing to qualify). Let's hope if it is LVG then he will take 2 step furthers (Final and win the WC then he will be crowned King Louis).
    It will be interesting who LVG will pick as his assistants. There is also a chance that the assistant may take over after.

I don't think that will work. Very different sports and maybe only a few players can manage that (like JC maybe). VVD is not that type of player.

14. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    The last few Dutch NT managerial searches (including this time around) have been a massive disappointment in my opinion. It's almost like a pick up football game on Sunday morning. Whoever is available and has their boots! There doesn't seem to be grooming process or any forward-looking thinking at all.

My wish lists are:

(a) Tie LVG on a very short contract, and with a specific clause. If it were up to me, 1-year contract only until the end of WC 2022. Obviously if, god forbids, Oranje fail to quality, he should be axed immediately.

(b) Bring one of Cocu or Gio as assistant coach. Both are in-between jobs. Or maybe Alfred Schreuder (he has a release-option on his Barcelona contract). They all had experience at club level with varying degree of success. They could benefit learning from LVG to put their careers back on track. In theory, any of them could be a candidate to succeed LVG --- they would be much better positioned versus others who have no business of ever coaching Dutch NT anytime soon (e.g. newbie assistant managers in the past like Kluivert or Van Nistelrooy) or incompetent ones (Lodeweges).

(c) Monitor and maintain close contact with Ten Haag, Koeman, and Bosz. Chances are that one, or a couple of them, could be available next Summer, or shortly thereafter.

But hey, I maybe jumping too far ahead here... LVG may not even be confirmed, so this could very well be back to square one :whistling:

majspike and bunbohue repped this.
  15. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Seems far too sensible a plan of action. I am not Dutch and life has thought whether it be your national football or Rugby organization, they will manage to pull a dumb idea from jaws of a smart decision.

16. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  17. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Why not Clarence Seedorf as manager? Seedorf managed Cameroon at the 2019 AFCON so he has experience internationally and he played for Netherlands as a player. Or Patrick Kluivert could become manager of this national team.

Or why not bring back Bert as manager considering he managed you guys in 2010

Others you could nominate: Gio Van Bronckhorst as manager or Phillip Cocu as manager

My dark horses for your guys' national team manager: Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Edwin Van Der Sar, Peter Bosz or Ten Hag

Or you go with a foreigner as your coach? How about Arsene Wenger

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    @Ofori - of your choices Seedorf is perhaps a realistic choice as he was decent when he managed Milan. Kluivert has not had any managerial experience. van der Sar is out because he is more interested in administration. ten Hag already said he is happy at Ajax. Wenger is a terrible choice, too old and out of it right now.

19. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Then how about Van Nistelrooy he more or less has been an assistant with De Boer so why not promote him to manager

20. You really have no clue about football, do you?

21. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Great players don't always make great coaches.

22. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Not necessarily

23. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Looks like LVG 3.0 is going to happen.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I would like to see Henk Fraser as assistant coach if vGaal is appointed. If vGaal isnt appointed, I wanna see Fraser as head coach

25. He's too cautious in his approach, Southgate/Deschamps like character.
    I would add Gio van Bronckhorst as assistant.
    Anyway, it seems players wanted someone with a colour.
    I think they have to shut the ******** up about who's coaching or not.
    They pleaded for more responibility and a coach to match that after Koeman left.
    One can see the result. one
    The last time players thought they could do it without the consent of the KNVB bobos (van Tichel quote) in 1990 it resulted in a disastrous tournement.

So to the players my message is: "Shut the feck up and play".
    The Orange Squad isnot there to promote whatever political/social desirable issues. It's there to put Dutch soccer on the map. Is the best someone with a colour. By all means we should get him. If there isnot one, swallow the one you get , or else go get a hike.
    Anyway, is there atm a guy with a colour and the pedigree to be worthy to step in?
    I'm a fan of Gio van Bronckhorst and he's the only one who really achieved something, yet I don't regard him as ready yet to run the gig.

Deadtigers repped this.