The Man united legend

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by the_red_devil, Oct 3, 2003.

1. the_red_devil

the_red_devil New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Ireland
    Manchester united have been one of the greatest football teams in england since the 1966 world cup saga. However i believe this extended run of good fortune and leadership should be marked with the appiontment of the "Man United legend" please let your thoughts be heard and opinions expressed. please place your disered vote at the end of each message........

Some candidates:
    Bobby Charlton
    Roy Keane
    Eric Cantona
    Peter Schmeichel
    Bryan Robson
    Mark Hughes
    Andy Cole
    David Beckham
    Ryan Giggs

2. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Manchester
    where are the Busby babes? and why is there only one player from the 1968 european cup winning team?

Where are Best, Law, Edwards, Viollet, Whelan, Taylor, Foulkes, Gregg, Byrne, Blanchflower, Wood, Pegg, Berry, Stiles, Crerand, Coleman and the rest?

Man United history goes alot further back than 1966

3. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. George Best
    2. Denis Law
    3. Eric Cantona
    4. Bobby Charlton
    5. Ryan Giggs
    6. Peter Schmeichel
    7. Roy Keane
    8. Bryan Robson
    9. David Beckham
    10. Mark Hughes

4. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    1. Bobby Charlton...You've got to Bobby at the top of the list...survived the Munich crash, most goals, most appearances, Championships, European Cup etc.
    2. Eric Cantona...The catalyst for the United revolution in the 1990's.
    3. George Best...Probably the most gifted player to ever play for United, but he had his problems that led to his shortened career. 1968 came too early for him.
    4. Roy Keane...The glue that kept the great United teams of the 90's together.
    5. Denis Law
    6. Bryan Robson
    7. Ryan Giggs
    8. Peter Schmeichel
    9. Bill Foulkes
    10. Mark Hughes

5. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though my knowledge of the team's history isn't quite as great as many of yours, I think I'll have to make this list based on what I do know.

1. Eric Cantona - United wouldn't have had their 90s run if not for him, definitely the most important player the team has had
    2. George Best - maybe the finest pure talent to ever play the game, but epitomized burning out rather than fading away
    3. Bobby Charlton - huge in stature, represented the club in the 60s, and hero of the 1966 World Cup
    4. Denis Law - probably the greatest Scottish soccer player ever, and another huge force in the 60s
    5. Many vie for this spot... Keane, Schmeichel, Viollet, Taylor, van Nistelrooy, Giggs... so many to choose from. The list just goes on and on.

6. Lancashire Lad

Lancashire Lad New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Totally agree Mon Dieu!

Bobby Charlton said that Duncan Edwards was the best player he played with or against. It’s a great pity that there isn’t the footage on the Busby Babes that there is on today team.

We all tend to have short memories. The greatest players always tend to be the ones we can remember now, we forget or marginalize those that came before. Mind you some of us were not born or not old enough to remember the others.

7. the_red_devil

the_red_devil New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Ireland
    The order

Sorry at the start of my thread i listed some players, these players were only examples and the order they are in doesnt coincide with the order i would choose.

1. Roy Keane- the heart, the sole and sometimes the fear behind the United faithful, he's been a member of the united team now for sometime and his talents never cease to exsist.

2. Eric Cantona- the man that Manchester united owe the success of the ninties to. He should also be remember for his horrid temper, and his "Kung Fu kick" on a dreaded fan.

3. Ruud Van Nistelrooy- I chose him because, i believe he has the potential to obtain such a higher position than 3rd. Maybe next year he'll be the number one.

4. Dennis Irwin- I believe the most important aspect of being a great player and building a great team is the factor of loyalty, Dennis a great leader and an even better full back, he's one of the men i believe has featured heavily in the make-up and structure of the manchester uniteds success.

5. George Best- Yet again i could place this man up the table but i believe that professionism is a key to success, that why i believe Roy Keane is man utds greatest player ever.

6.7.Steve Bruce and Gary Pallister- The dynamic duo, this is a pair of defenders that i believe manchester united have not replaced suffiecently.

8. Paul Ince- Again he is a damanding player, he plays with his heart and sole, this again creates sturdy temper.

9. Bobby Charlton- Not that i can really remeber him as a player, but any man that bides by a football club for 50 years has to be honoured with a certain degree of stature.

10. I think many players are capable of obtaining this position, you've got your Beckhams, Giggsy, Scholes, Gary Neville, Dennis Law and your Andy Coles, However i believe that there is one man i would chose and that Mark Hughes, his inspired performances have put the depth into the united squad and yet again he showed the leadership and spirit which won man united the respectable position they now charis.

My opinion of man uniteds greatest players, may not reflect the most talented or skillful players but the hard and the strong players that can win a match from hard, hard grafting and achieve respect of the dressing room

8. Eindhovuh

Eindhovuh New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    Holland
    Bobby Charlton

9. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Manchester
    1) Best
    2) Cantona
    3) Charlton
    4) Edwards
    5) Robson
    6) Law
    7) Taylor
    8) Keane
    9) Giggs
    10) Whelan

i have no doubt however than if Duncan Edwards had not died at Munich at the age of 21 then he would not only be the greatest Man United player ever but the greatest the sport has ever produced

10. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Charlton
    Cantona
    Best
    Keane

I think that is a pretty reasonable top four but I have only seen Schmiechel mentioned once!!! He was awesome, one of the best in the world and probably the best United keeper ever! I also would place Becks above Giggs by maybe one spot. We are seeing this year the dimension that he added that Giggs did not. Yes Giggs is great and he is right there with Becks but I have to put him below! great win today!

11. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Manchester
    You having a laugh? We also missed Beckham last season seeing how he played but we still won the title. Giggs has given United a longer and better service

12. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    yep.

13. simonc

simonc New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    1. The Law Man and original King of Old Trafford
    2. Best, Pele said he was the best he'd ever seen
    3. Keano
    4. Charlton
    5. Cantona
    6. Robson
    7. Mark Hughes
    8. Violett
    9. Giggs
    10. Schmeichel

14. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I think it's got to be Bobby Charlton with anyone else a distant second. He's represented this club on so many levels. He's been a leading player for both club and country (and a gentleman player at that), moved into management and served as an "ambassador" for Manchester United. He was part of the club's highest moment and its lowest.

I remember that Matt Busby once said of him, "He was as near perfection as man and player as it is possible to be."

Just think about how often the television cameras pick him out of the crowd at all major games to show the high profile attendees at a game. He's always one of them. He really is, and rightfully should be, associated with Manchester United whenever this occurs; the same should be true generally.