The long overdue and frank discussion about the US Midfield 2018-2022

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Deadtigers, Apr 7, 2018.

1. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Ok, so MB gets credit for leading his Lions to those results, but doesn't get blame for MLS start.

I should've guessed, as this is par for the course over the last 4 years.

2. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #102 DHC1, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    I doubt many on here would call me a MB fan-boy but I don't think it's reasonable to slag MB for early season club performance: TFC has done well.

If you want credibility with reasonable people, you have to give credit when it's due as well as criticism (i.e., for being the centerpiece and captain of the disastrous 2018 cycle).

3. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    The same dude said the captain is not responsible for the team and said it is not his fault they failed to qualify but it is thanks to MB that they are doing well in CCL. The reason they are doing well in CCL is thanks to their WBs and Giovinco.

chad and Patrick167 repped this.
  4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes he will be.

He will be 31 this year and 35? by the time the next World cup comes around, so sure we do need to replace him, but MB will play more games with the NT before the next cycle ends.

Dude could be in the first MLS/Canadian team that ever wins the CCL in a few weeks.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NEW PUSSY!

ok, this is BS, he was the leader, perhaps he should not have been, but a captain does motivate the team and helps position players while the match is going.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean did you see the TFC game vs Colorado this weekend, we should blame MB for that loss*

*please google the TFC line up first.

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, I defended MB too much, people are too negative on him, just like people get too negative on Altidore.

If we have better midfielders than Bradley they sure lets play them, just like when ever we get a better forward than JA.

But I do not see them.

Rolan and McKennie are the 2 that I have seen and that I like, if this is going to be a 443 with CP as one of the wingers and Wood/Altidore/new P$$@ as the striker who is going to be the other winger? what ever happened to green?

If you are going with 3 MF I think we need a destroyer type to cover the other 2, would Rolan do well here?

8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    i think that for most people there's no middle ground between he sucks and he's our best.

I think both WM and Williams (barring injury) are better than MB but think MB is in the mix and is better suited to an outside MF role.

9. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think Trapp is better than Bradley right now. In MLS, and with the USMNT. Hopefully, we hire a coach that plays some sort of 3-man midfield. Tired of watching our 2 man midfields get overrun. McKennie, Adams, Trapp would be my choice. Waiting for Trapp's job is Durkin. I don't think Kitchen, Jones, will be better. Behind Durkin is Goslin. Hopefully, by 2022, one of Durkin or Goslin has won the job.

Behind Adams and McKennie is (in no particular order) K. Acosta, Llejet, Parks, Green.

Dortmund subbed 17 yr old English winger Jadon Sancho into the central midfield yesterday instead of moving Pulisic there. Pulisic, is not a central midfielder.

yurch10 repped this.
  10. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    In a real soccer country, Bradley would have retired from international soccer in shame about 6 minutes after the final whistle in Trinidad last fall.

His performance and lack of urgency in the final 20 minutes of that game alone should disqualify him from representing his country ever again.

Excellency, USA-Zebuel, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  11. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    But the Gold Cup, and the Mexico game!!!

12. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Insert the gif of that black girl crying and shaking her fist in support

Also in a real soccer country, he couldn't go shopping in public.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    STOP TALKING ABOUT MICHAEL ********ING BRADLEY

deuteronomy and Winoman repped this.
  14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    No

15. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    ironic coming from someone who trolls like this.

Live by the sword, die/get triggered by the sword.

16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    But let's broaden the discussion to MF combinations, and CM combinations in particular. I think a lot of the frustration regarding MB is that he was part of 'every' MF combination.

I'll try to make my point as simply as possible. First, I'll rank my central midfielders as follows:

1) Michael Bradley
    2) B
    3) C
    4) D

Now, when I ask for our best CM combination, many reflexively assume that it must be MB + B, our two best CMs (by definition).

But my experience tells me that isn't necessarily so, that (for many reasons) B + C might be a stronger CM combination than A + B, or A + C.

When you look at a 4-man (or 5-man) midfield, this principle becomes even clearer. You don't just grab the four (or five) 'best' players, you give some thought to how they will combine. Often, you try to educate yourself by mixing and matching combinations, and watching them play together.

Too often in recent years, our MF 'had' to include MB, and whatever your past opinion, it's far from clear that MB remains at the head of that list.

I'm in favor of experimenting liberally with our young CMs. Out with the old and in with the new - this year at least.

17. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Why we ignored the likes of Danny Williams for Kellyn Acosta was weird to me. What bout a double pivot of D-Will and Adams with Wes in front and a front 3 of Weah, Wood and Puli.

So much movement!!

DHC1 and Patrick167 repped this.
  18. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Here are the guys currently starting for their club teams, in central midfield, and have at least one cap in a USMNT shirt (in no particular order):

Michael Bradley
    Weston McKennie
    Dax McCarty
    Tyler Adams
    Julian Green
    Marky Delgado
    Sebastian Llejet
    Will Trapp
    Darlington Nagbe
    Sasha Klesjtan
    Benny Feilhaber
    Alejandro Bedoya
    Kyle Beckerman
    Mix Diskerud
    Joe Corona
    Alfredo Morales
    Jeff Larentowicz
    Christian Roldan
    Lee Nguyen

Williams, K. Acosta, are hurt. I don't think Nagbe really is playing a central midfield role in the classic sense, but whatever.

Marko72 repped this.
  19. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Michael Bradley - has been
    Weston McKennie - Soon to be
    Dax McCarty - Never was
    Tyler Adams - Stb
    Julian Green -Jury still out
    Marky Delgado - Stb
    Sebastian Llejet - Jso
    Will Trapp - Jso
    Darlington Nagbe - Jso
    Sasha Klesjtan - Has Been; maybe useful for half a cycle
    Benny Feilhaber - Has Been; maybe useful for half a cycle
    Alejandro Bedoya - Has been
    Kyle Beckerman - Has been
    Mix Diskerud - Never Was
    Joe Corona - Jso
    Alfredo Morales - I don't know him
    Jeff Larentowicz - I don't know him
    Christian Roldan - Jso
    Lee Nguyen - Has Been; maybe useful for half a cycle

20. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    So based on the soon to bes and Jury still out.

Weston McKennie - Soon to be
    Tyler Adams - Stb
    Marky Delgado - Stb
    Sebastian Llejet - Jso
    Will Trapp - Jso
    Darlington Nagbe - Jso
    Joe Corona - Jso
    Alfredo Morales - I don't know him
    Jeff Larentowicz - I don't know him
    Christian Roldan - Jso

and this is the maybe useful.

Sasha Klesjtan - Has Been; maybe useful for half a cycle
    Benny Feilhaber - Has Been; maybe useful for half a cycle
    Lee Nguyen - Has Been; maybe useful for half a cycle

21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we go with a DM/destroyer, I'm putting Williams in there when his fibula heals.

Tata actually has Nagbe playing better. I wouldn't be completely against trying Nagbe with a hustler like Williams. Add McKennie.

-------Nagbe-------McKennie------
    --------------Williams----------------

or by the fall friendlies

-------Parks---------McKennie-----
    -------------Williams--------------

or we can go 3-4-3/3-4-2-1/3-4-1-2
    ----------------Pulisic--------------
    Saief---------------------------Delgado
    --------McKennie----Parks----------

perhaps a Christmas tree
    --------------Saief--------Pulisic-----------
    ---McKennie----Williams----Delgado--

-----------Parks------Pulisic---------
    --Saief------Williams-------McKennie--

I could go on. Player pool is in flux. By Sept/Oct could see Parks playing UCL ball for Benfica and Sargent getting Bund mins. Saief and Anderlecht still have a good shot at making UCL too.

An interesting potential dynamic for me is El Sargent, who's shown flashes of having the ability to drop deep and be a fulcrum/linker. That could allow Pulisic to go wide. Or play Pulisic as a floating SS off him. Then there's Johannsson. Taitague could be in Schalke's 1st team come Aug/Sept. Then all the sudden we have a RW/AM in a likely UCL side to add to the pool.

Then there's my boy Durkin who'll have 4+ months more seasoning and may or may not have moved to Europe this coming summer.

Mikey doesn't fit. The always positionless Mikey at that. He's not a high work rate, physical DM. But he's not an 8 either. For too long we've wasted other CM's who need to cover his faults for him. That's why Williams fits for now. He'll clean up for others and let the Saief/McKennie/Parks/Delgado types focus on what they do best. And good lord if the suggestion were to be to play Mikey with a DM. Nagbe/McKennie/Delgado right now are superior there, Parks likely soon, there's an argument for Adams at times and Saief depending on the formation can play as a side 8 and brings actual skill.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Basically you are saying Williams instead of Trapp. I agree Bradley should retire. But I think you under-rate Trapp's passing skills. Don't look at the Crew.

And we have to think of two teams anyway: CA and GC. I don't see how we avoid having Trapp in there and I say that as somebody who is skeptical about Trapp because I don't see how you can become a good 6 playing for Berhalter.

Patrick167 repped this.
  23. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I am sure you have nothing against the kid but I don't see Adams. The RBNY fan in me, gives you the side eye for this. I believe after this MLS he needs to go a team in Portugal, Holland or Belgium. He is still young enough to improve his technical abilities and develop a bit better touch and passing and I think those are the best leagues for kid like him to go to and get regular minutes.

24. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Were you not a Trapp fan or am I mixing you up with bsky/vexco?

I think Trapp needs to leave and go to Scotland or the Championship. I would love Germany but not sure he could find takers.

25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never mentioned Trapp's passing skills.

That's not my concern with him. His lack of physical presence and projecting that to higher levels is my concern with him. I at this point can't picture him anchoring a midfield defensively at this level.

Last sentence I included his name.