The Lockout: Siding with someone?

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by Daniel from Montréal, Nov 11, 2004.

1. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    The ice size is fine. Has the NFL made fields bigger, players are 2 times the size. The problem is simple. Too many teams with not enough talent. Get to 24 teams and all the problems go away.
    And its players like Jagr that are more of a problem than anything else. This bum makes 11 Million Dollars a year. Holik 9 Million there is 20 Million. Thats whats wrong with hockey , The New York Rangers is whats wrong with hockey. 78 Million and not even make the playoffs, they cause inflation.

2. GrumpyStoo

GrumpyStoo New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Wayne, NJ

With the NFL, its SImple. you don't need to make the field larger. The Players fit out there. Theres no bottleneck, cause the big guys don't run anywhere really unless they get released on a play. They just enforce the rules that are already there. Theres no connection between the NFL Field and the NHL Rink size, and the Problems the NHL has. Is the NFL having scoring problems this year(points at Payton Manning)? And the NFL and NHL are two very different kinds of sports. You Have to look at a somewhat related sport like Soccer to even compare on how to actually run it. So your argument is very weak.

You can have all the talent in the world, but there are teams that will just want to win. Will do whatever they can to do it. Its proven, the Trap and that style of play is linked to the size of that rink. Talent can't do anything if you can slow it down, and mug it with 3 guys with no possible threat of consequence. If you ever had the chance to watch a Guy Lafleur play, the guy could skate. Thats what is exciting to watch. Even Gretzky, his last good season in 92-93 with the Kings, b4 Lemaire got the Devils going in NJ. Players got bigger, and faster damn quick after that. Even Detroit in the late 90's with their dynasty could lock down opponents with a neutral zone defense. Get tired? Bog down the middle.

Honestly, i'd rather see a player be able to skate freely on the ice, one on one with people, than get mugged. I'm Getting sick of it. Thats whats ruining the game on Ice. The salaries, yeah, are completely sickly out of whack. No guy right now in the NHL should be making more than 4 or 5 million bucks.

Salary Cap. International Ice Surface. Keep it simple stupid.

3. CdnBhoy67 redded

CdnBhoy67 redded Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    The owners are the ones paying the players, players luches/dinners on road trips, office/arena staff,minor league players salary. What do the NHLPA
    contribute? Nothing they take and take and take. The players and their union are 100% responsible for what is happening, and i give full support to the owners. Lets bring it players who are not part of the union, and want to play pro hockey with a salary cap. If the NHLPA players can't deal with it ,
    tough, the NHL should no longer deal with the Union, tell them to go to hell and get hockey going again.

4. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    FYI, The trap was developed on Big ice in Sweedn. And was adopted by lemaire and others over here. The size of the rink is not the problem. The size of goalie gear is and the league not calling penalties for obstruction.
    Too many players with not enough skill because of too many teams.

I do agree that 4-5 Million is about the top end for Hockey, Jagr 11 Million is such a joke. Holik is about the most absurd. Media is also a problem in many cities, you cant belive the crap Leafs managment took when they diod not sign Holik fir 8 Million, it was insane how they stirred the pot and riled up the sheep. Everytime Leaf managment did not overpay for a free agent they where lambasted. In the end they where responsible and did no fuel the over spending.

5. GrumpyStoo

GrumpyStoo New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Wayne, NJ
    If you are refering the Shero during the 1970's in sweden, b4 the big ice was introduced, maybe, but Lemaire, Robinson and Company in Montreal were playing the trap before it even had a name successfully over and over and over again, in all those years they won their Stanley Cups 50's 60's and 70's under Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman. If you listened to the commentators during the Olympics, "They can't trap on this, its impossible." They picked speed players and guys with talent for the Olympics, vs the NHL mold of Big and bulky for the Worlds in September. So yes, the Trap is directly linked to the Ice Surface Size. Expand the Size. You dump the trap.

All the players today are equally athletically fit, so just contracting teams does nothing. You might concentratrate the Talent, but not the athletisism in the players. Since this is a team game. Increase the size of the ice, you get speedy players, the big guys don't have a chance for a while, until their conditioning improves. You can't overwhelm players in the neutral zone. Instead of checking someone into the boards as they skate through the neutral zone with the puck, the extra 10 feet on both sides of ice forces a defender to skate with a player longer, into his own zone before the player is either foreced to pass off of he skates past the defender. Your either getting checked off 10 to 15 feet short of the opponetns blue line, forcing u to dump the puck in. Letting a Goalie play the puck to pass to his guys. OR, on the bigger surface, the player has the option to Skate longer and to breath more out on the ice. Spacing out the area the Defensive team needs to conver. Defensive team tries to pinch on one side. Player dumps back, one rink side wide pass to the other, and the Offensive team has a odd man break in with a scoring chance.

I do agree the salaries are a joke. Players should be capped out at around 5 million. For now. Giving the ability of teams to grow and keep their own talent is a staple. Or at least CHOOSE to keep talent based on need not on finances is a huuuuge necessity thats needs to happen. I agree the Salary Cap is a must have, with player step player roll back that the NHL proposed this past week. Jagr, Yashin and player do not deserve that kind of money when the league and sport are doing nothing.

6. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't care if the NHL comes back this year Im knee deep in Futebol! English Premiere league, French league, Spainish La Liga, Portuguese SuperLiga sometimes the serie A (if I want to sleep) screw the NHL, I always liked international games and not too much for domestic leagues but this year I'm all over it and have the NHL to thank.