The Lions Thread

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by comme, May 18, 2005.

1. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    It wasn't even a tackle, it doesn't deserve to be called that.

He made no attempt to tackle him with his arms, he just smashed into him, when the ball had already been knocked on.

I'd love to see Collins take a Scott Gibbs tackle, and have a taste of his own medicine.

2. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    who is Scott Gibbs?

if you really want to see Collins have a taste of his own medicine then wait for the south africa vs new zealand game...mr Schalk Berger

3. Euskadi

Euskadi New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Who is Scott Gibbs? How long have you been following rugby? Gibbs was the star of the Lions tour in 1997 in South Africa. He was a dual international in Union with Wales and in League with Wales and Great Britain. Gibbs played center and was known for his hard tackling.

4. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Quite. I'm surprised that a New Zealander with all their feted love of rugby has never heard of Gibbs.

If you can try and get to see his tackle on Os Durant on the 1997 Lions tour. Probably the biggest ever hit.

5. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    dont follow the lions or northen hemisphere rugby much, and its not followed closely here either apart from maybe some 6 nations matches

in fact once a former all black leaves these shores they dissapaear from public knowledge

like christian cullen since he left for ireland they havnt exactly been following his carrear over here

6. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Os Durant, if he managed to get him , it must have been huge hit

biggest one I have seen lately, is the one jerry collins flattened chris jack with in a super 12 match

7. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    The idea of Jonny Wilkinson being the best flyhalf in the Lions tour party confirms to me that many of you are football fans who watch rugby when football's not on, rather than sports fans.

Jonny Wilkinson's such a great flyhalf he was absolutely pathetically dire in all three Tests he played.

The Lions would be better off removed of the English element and the detrimental effect they've provided to the last two Lions tours.

8. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Your posts on this thread have confirmed your ignorance, another yank who wants to be a celt and posts a load of anti-English rubbish to try and make himself feel big. Pathetic. It's clear to me you did not even watch the games and more than likely have never even seen a full game in your life.

You know nothing of the sport and nothing of the game. If you had half a clue you'd realise that Wilkinson didn't even play in the third test for ****s sake. You can't even get the most basic facts right.

The Lions lost because the All Blacks had better players and had a lot smoother preparation. The national makeup of the team was irrelevant. Everyone who knows rugby realises that there are too many commitments for players and there isn't the time for a properly prepared Lions tour with fresh players. Zurich Premiership, European games and then the 6 Nations all in the same season as the Lions matches.

Now shut up until you have something intelligent and accurate to post.

9. spencer_carlos

spencer_carlos New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Mate I think he's an ex-pat Welshman. He knows what he's talking about. :rolleyes:

10. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    You do know that the British Lions v. Argentina was a capped international, do you?

By the way, I'm from Felinfoel, Wales, the hometown of Phil Bennett (do you know who that is?). I've played rugby since I was 6 years old, lad. I was a Llanelli RFC season ticket holder for 15 years. I've been to a dozen Wales internationals and another half-dozen United States internationals, including away games in Canada. I've played rugby in South Africa, Britain, France, Ireland and soon Australia where I will join Wests of Brisbane (the club of Roger Gould, Chris Latham, Tim Lane, etc) for their 2007 season for another overseas experience through rugby.

I've likely played more rugby matches than you've ever seen, chief, so that pretty much destroys your argument, doesn't it?

As for the rest, you're frightfully wrong but your starting lack of credibility should see through that. ******** off back to White Hart Lane and don't appear till the next World Cup where you can tell me that you've loved rugby your entire life.

11. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Argentina Vs Lions was NOT one of the three Tests, and you quite clearly wrote a ridiculous post criticising Wilkinson for playing in all three.

Anyone can write a load of rubbish about their so-called life while posting on the internet. I've played and followed rugby from childhood, your chances of playing more matches than me are virtually zero, so enough with the empty boasts. Which by the way did absolutely nothing to destroy my arguments at all. You avoided every point and focused on some utterly lame personal chestbeating.

What I will judge you on is the quality of your posts, which have been the biggest source of myopic and xenophobic drivel I've ever seen, to the extent where you make The Sun sound like Tolstoy. You also remind me of that Wildman clown, boasting about his so-called football exploits while writing ignorant garbage. You could be his twin.

Jog on back to San Francisco, well known as the rugby capital of the world of course :rolleyes: