The Life of Bryan: Reynolds at Westerlo

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by EXALIFTIN, Nov 25, 2020.

1. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    Mourinho has a great rep for developing young players. This should work out well.

nbarbour, appoo, wsmaugham and 2 others repped this.
  2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I think should might be a bit too optimistic, but I feel cautiously optimistic, and with Roma under an even more intense spotlight, Reynolds might blow up if he gets and seizes his opportunity next season.

3. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i dont love it, but i am not ready to hit the panic button. mourinho did alright by 23yo john terry and 20yo arjen robben. not like anyone really plays the kids at madrid unless they eare huge money acquisitions.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Mourinho's style suits Reynolds. In fact Roma's style so far this year hasn't suited his strengths. Could be good for his development to learn to play differently though but not sure his new coach will like him. Reynolds is best getting the ball quickly with space in front of him or at least a non set defense in front of him. A plodding defensive team is not what he's used to.

5. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i look forward to seeing reynolds play again in 2-3 years.

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mourinho is master of deception. His antics keeps you entertained and it blinds you, temporarily, from his negative football. Eventually, you get tired of his antics and attention is shifted to his tactics. Then Mourinho starts the blame game, excuses follow, and then he creates a divide in the team. He will throw one or two under a bus, continue on the hate parade, and then all hell breaks loose. The bridge is burned and he tries to take everyone down with him. Then he gets canned. That’s his career in a nutshell. There is no denying his influence on the game. There is no denying his success. I think the game has passed him bye. Roma is his last stop, I think. It makes me really nervous about Reynolds. Jose is notoriously unforgiving to young players. His tolerance is low. I have an uneasy feeling about this situation.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He belongs to the 00s. His glory days have long gone bye and yet he hasn't realized it yet.

8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not good news for Reynolds.

9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think is the opposite.

Winoman repped this.
  10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Gacm32, wsmaugham and Winoman repped this.
  11. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt Olosunde wants a word with you.

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like who? I’m genuinely asking. He’s inherited some young players in which he has played but he’s almost done so redundantly. Those young players also seem to have a short leash. Off the top of my head without looking, I honestly can’t think of one player (sub 20 years old) that he’s sought, developed, and played.

13. TheContrarian

TheContrarian Member

St. Louis City SC
    Jul 24, 2015
    Reading, UK
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the original poster was being sarcastic.

nbarbour, Gacm32, wsmaugham and 2 others repped this.
  14. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

15. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Reynolds will play. Not sure why there is a weird contingent of Reynolds doubters, but he’s just getting started and will do just fine.

16. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    Right now, he’s a backup at a position that doesn’t have to get rotated at lot.

if Mourinho prefers Karsdorp (seems likely) and karsdorp stays healthy, then it’s easy to imagine Reynolds only getting some spot time when there’s fixture congestion. And if they are eliminated from cup competitions early, there won’t be much fixture congestion.

there’s no need to freak out before Mourinho has coached a game for them, but it’s not an ideal hire for a young, unpolished defender like Reynolds.

17. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    I see more mourinho doubters/haters than anything right now and rightfully so. It isn’t ridiculous to wonder whether his hire will negatively impact Bryan’s experience at Roma.

18. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    I still hope that one day he ends up with the Galaxy, burns down that ship, and then makes the final stop in his career in the USL. That would be hilarious.

m vann and Gorky repped this.
  19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coaching Drogba's Phoenix Rising?

20. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Heavily bearded and disheveled, drinking from a flask on the sideline and grunting and grimacing his way through sparsely attended press conferences.

superdave repped this.
  21. munichfan9

munichfan9 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 7, 2005
    Burke, Virginia
    Varane, Ozil, Davide Santon, Balotelli, Arjen Robben, Zouma, Kenedy, Baba Rahman, Rashford are some names. They were all pretty young when they worked with Mourinho, though not sure if all were all under 20.

22. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Ain't about Reynolds. It's about Mourinho despising youth.

23. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    So about Rashford....

“There are loads of different aspects – but my time under Jose was a massive learning period for me and I feel like I understood football in a different way to what I understood football before that,” Rashford told Sky Sports.

“I learned to win in different ways. It was a tough time in my career, but they’re the moments that either make you or break you.

“His style of coaching might not have been perfect for me – but it definitely made me improve as a player and as a person as well.

Keep in mind Marcus is one of the nicest kids in the high level sport. That's equivalent to someone else saying Mou is a complete asshole who almost broke me and I hated him, but hey he taught me how to presevere under the worst management, so thanks for that.

Zinkoff, nbarbour, 60611 and 1 other person repped this.
  24. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    eh sounds like mourinho motivated and helped him to be a better player but was a miserable person (which is pretty much obvious to everyone)

25. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    So regardless of what I said about Rashford, a universal truth about Mourinho is that it's not a great experience for rising prospects.

ttrevett repped this.