The Life of Bryan: Reynolds at Westerlo

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by EXALIFTIN, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    yup. He'll learn to play football at Roma. Never was a Serie A guy cuz you can't follow them all but I always heard a player had to be 100% ready to play and no on the job training.

When you watch Reynolds you have to realize that he was in USL a year ago and today he started and went a full game (virtually) for Roma v. Bologna after transferring thru the winter window.

They will go over the video of the game and go thru all the things he has to work on so people should not get freaked if they happen to send him to B squad to work on those mechanics. He will improve and play well for Roma.

2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    1381308862398103552 is not a valid tweet id

KenC, ChicagoVT, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last play (intercept pass) earn him points with his teammates.

TxEx and Winoman repped this.
  4. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Doesn’t look out of place at all there. Looks like a guy who can contribute.

Gacm32, ChicagoVT and Winoman repped this.
  5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I have no expectation or narrative. So without any expectation or past or future projection or narrative, I can objectively say he didn't play well without any shame.
    Just for these 90 minutes. It started at 0 and went to 90(76). Then I assess. That's it, no more. That assessment has nothing to do with his past, his future, what kind of person he is, or even player. It is, what it is. Just 76.

6. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    beyond the usual caveats about 19yo first division debuts i think you need to put reynolds in the context of his teams first half performance too, which was abysmal before they dominated the second half.

Gacm32 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    If you are saying he didn't play well then you have to be comparing his play to some kind of expectation in your head. "Playing well" is not objective, it's subjective. His stats are objective but to use them to evaluate a player effectively they have to be used in context. His stat line would be used differently when evaluating a seasoned vet then a rookie.

nbarbour, kumuyc and ChicagoVT repped this.
  8. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    The narrative about his play (just like the narratives about Dest with the U20’s and Ajax) is already unreasonably negative. After having watched him play, I’d say he had a decent debut...not overwhelmingly negative in the least. It was a solid start with even some standout moments in there.

glutton4Bolts, Gacm32 and tomásbernal repped this.
  9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He has better territorial instincts than anybody in the pool but his job now is to apply it to the (Serie A) pro game. One thing I was wondering about was whether or not his left is (almost) as good as his right. I believe it is close - there doesnt seem to be many "true" ambidexterous players anyway. But it would be nice if he could slot in left or right.

Otherwise it really just remains to find out where his athleticism peaks but that has to be a process over the medium term.

10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Now we're getting into semantics. I watch a game and I see how many times he makes the plays necessary for his team to play well. Take and complete passes, not lose the ball, contribute possession, make predominately good crosses, good traps, good decisions, good defensive plays...then I decide.

11. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I thought it was a bit sloppy but you have to consider he's a 19 year old making his debut. Just being good enough to not tank your team's chances by being our there is an accomplishment at his age. He's done well to prove himself to his coaches enough that he is trusted this soon. But, we should expect he will continue to improve and we should fully expect him to have some issues to work on. His positioning was hit or miss and his crosses were often hit with too much air. He looked strong challenging one on one, kept the ball decently and is extremely athletic. He's got a lot to work with, but he's still a work in progress.

TxEx and NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  12. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I watched the game those were not all his touches, just his best plays.

13. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    It looks like some of the air on his crosses was intentional. He was trying to hit the guy over the top of the defender...artfully done, and he pulled one of them off. This is probably something talked about in scouting this team and/or that Bryan may have done in training.

Bryan can whip a good ball in on a rope or play in on the ground as well. He’s going to be a really good player.

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s all about where he goes from here. Does he learn snd improve or does he make the same mistakes and not get minutes? If he can get some of his hard, dipping crosses onto heads a few times I think his teammates will warm to him.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    My concerns were mainly on the defensive end. I only watched the first half, but it seemed to me that Bologna had a lot of action up their left hand side and were able to pass around him a little too easily. He was a little tentative and didn't seem to be well positioned. I'm no expert though. It's hard to point to specific tangible mistakes, just an impression I had.

16. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't this his 1st league start? He started out kind of tentative with FCD last season too and then grew into a dynamic player. Gotta give the kid time to adjust to a better league in a completely foreign country.

Pegasus repped this.
  17. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm a tad confused. Is he on a loan or has he gotten a full transfer? Wikipedia says it's a loan with an option to buy. Was this Roma being hesitant because I thought they for sure were committed to dropping 10 million on him whereas Juventus wasn't?

19. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roma advances in Europa league thus increasing Reynold's chances of additional Serie A experience this season.

20. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it's a loan in name only--for some sort of shady accounting reason. The "loan" ends at the end of the season and then the full transfer is finalized. It's all in the contract. No new negotiation will occur.

21. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020
  23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Reynolds kept that alive and a few passes later a goal resulted.

24. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct