The Life of Bryan: Reynolds at Westerlo

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by EXALIFTIN, Nov 25, 2020.

1. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shocking? how so?

have you seen him play? have you seen what young mlsers/academy players are doing in eu?

only shocking is that eu is finally waking up and didnt think it would happen so fast

frankburgers repped this.
  2. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yep, i earned 100k Dollars in Germany when it was at 1.4$/1€ :((((((((((((((
    Plus usa tax lol altidore s potential back then was close to Freddy.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Mt Stone@

Mt Stone@ Member

Apr 30, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    He is very big and very fast, has a great cross, pretty good in combination, and young. How often do you see a 19 y/o 6'3 outside back with that athleticism and level of potential. That is why the Euro scouts want their clubs to take a swing

4. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    An MLSer with 15 appearances possibly going for a similar price to what Liverpool paid for Andrew Robertson. What a time to be alive.

5. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    First learning of him as I haven’t caught Dallas lately. I guess he maybe fits the mold of one of the ‘dozens’ of potential Pulisic level talents Twellman mentioned expecting a few years back.

Gacm32 repped this.
  6. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    1339614333173690368 is not a valid tweet id

buzz confirm club brugge are one of three clubs to put a bid in

7. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I can't find the actual article, but I'm seeing a number of places citing an Il Tempo article that supposedly says that a Roma deal is nearing completion:

https://momentidicalcio.com/2020/12/19/roma-accordo-quasi-raggiunto-con-dallas-per-bryan-reynolds/

A market negotiation conducted in person and almost finalized by Ryan Friedkin [the American owner of Roma]. For several weeks, Rome has had its eyes on Bryan Reynolds and after numerous emails and video conferences (including an important one at the end of November) a principle of agreement was reached with Dallas thanks to an offer of 7.5 million . Now the Capitoline company is engaged in the last phase of the deal, already well set up: talks are underway with the right back born in 2001 and his father to get to the white smoke on the player side, described as more than enthusiastic about a move to Italy .

In particular, the Romanista vice president, Fienga and some emissaries of the Friedkin group itself, with Dan Friedkin who can also boast a personal friendship with Hunt, owner of the MLS franchise, whose stadium is sponsored by Toyota. A partnership facilitated in 2013 by the Giallorossi owners. Roma waits and is attentive to the many competitors: during the night other contacts were staged to try to close for Reynolds.

Source: Il Tempo

8. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Rumors on twitter are that Roma and Dallas have agreed to a fee and the deal is almost completed

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    very rare for Serie A clubs to pick up a MLS player so this is riveting.

taylor repped this.
  10. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    You're gonna see it happen more often. Many see cheap young talent to take a shot at for depth and to develop

11. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I prefer this over the top 1-2 clubs in the top 4 where he may never make the cut, or the weaker ones where he’d be a clear starter, but just defending all day.

Roma is a team that should make the UCL/Europa League which provides plenty of opportunities because of the rotation needed.

Anyone have an idea of Roma’s RB situation to gauge if Reynolds is coming in as an expected starter, or if he’ll have to fight hard to win that spot?

largegarlic repped this.
  12. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    They've been playing a 3-4-3 and Rick Karsdorp has received most of the starts.

Reynolds can play in a flat 4-4-2, but would probably be even more dynamic as a wingback, and wingbacks are all the rage these days, which is also why his fee is where it's at.

TarHeels17 and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  13. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't follow mls like I use to, but.... This doesn't pass my smell test in terms of $$$.

Why wasn't he picked up sooner for a.smaller sum $?

Edit how much did Bradley go for again???

14. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    think it’s as simple as mckennie and all the american club owners

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wouldn't explain the initial offer for Reynolds from Juve.

The American owners likely are a contributing factor, but clubs across Europe are taking notice of MLS players making positive contributions on the cheap.

- Davies
    - Angelino
    - Adams
    - Harrison
    - Herrera
    etc.

And there was awareness from the Euro scouts of the US academy system starting to bear fruit. Just see the 20 Pulisic's comment.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reynolds didn't start playing regularly until Cannon transferred to Portugal in September. Not really any opportunity for anyone to pick him up until now.

17. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    mckennie certainly would explain increased interest in americans from juve?

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had to be interested in Wes in the first place. It was an out of the box move.

McKennie would fit the category of product from an MLS academy, who European clubs are gaining faith in. Gio broke thru before this offseason out of NYCFC. Adams scoring a big goal late in UCL, coming out of NYRB.

Better to get them straight out of MLS now when they're cheaper & have proven something. Instead of straight from academy when they've proven nothing or from a seller's club in Europe when they could have to pay exponentially more. That's why the seller's clubs are really getting in on the action too.

19. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mckennie, a "known/proven" Bundesliga product was sold for 18 million plus xyz if juve win abc.
    You are telling me a guy who played for four months in mls is worth half of that?

Either we are the new brazil to justify premium, or something is off, let a lone in corona market, lol.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7.5M Euros or dollars?

That may be part of what's happening. I think Wes' 18M is in dollars. If that is from Il Tempo, presumably it's 7.5M Euros, which right now is about $6M.

But only a part of what's happening. An outside defender with half a season of game tape going for $6M? I have a hard time believing that.

21. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Maybe they’re referencing “could rise to” type value.

22. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  23. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spinazzola, Karsdorp and Bruno Peres with Florenzi out on loan (likely not coming back). Spinazzola will be sold if he has a good Euros.

superdave repped this.
  24. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’ve got that backwards buddy. Euro is more valuable than the US dollar. €7.5 mil is about $9.2 mil

25. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States