Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    If the club can offer him a key leading role and a guide to rebuilding the club, i think he should stay a few more seasons. Otherwise, he should test the market and maybe we see him make a move to the likes of a Everton/Crystal Palace.

2. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I can see Wes going to a mid-table EPL club and earning his starter badge there. Fingers crossed.

5. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I can see him going to Toronto to 'improve' his game ($4mm) in 'underrated' MLS and then find his level against a 'really good' Real Salt Lake.

SCSAutism repped this.
  6. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    you’re just trying to piss me off.....

7. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newcastle has an offer out to Pochettinho and may be getting that sweet, sweet double edged sword of Saudi money...

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked this little piece at the end:

"It is expected that McKennie, who also has interest from the Premier League, could cost in the region of €25 million."

That would be a decent return for him and I would LOVE to see him at either EPL team. He seems like a good fit for Everton and Newcastle appears to be on the verge of spending big. I think Wes would play well in a more physical league... he has certainly opened my eyes since the restart. I think he has more to offer and I am keen to see him play with some better teammates.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Everton has been rotating CMs (in part due to injury) without finding the formula. I'd like him there.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Everton over NUFC, but I think either of those clubs would be a decent fit for him. The good thing about Wes' skill set is he just kinda plays flat-out footie. Only on teams fanatically insistent on possession/tika-taka soccer would I be worried about Wes' ability to contribute.

Mid to lower EPL gonna love his "heart on his sleeve" play.

12. Duncan Edwards i miss u

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  13. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I think Newcastle would be the most interesting as they seem to finally be getting their act together.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They're not "getting their act together," they just got bought by Prince Bone Saw who needs a way to get some money routed through England to get it clean.

diablodelsol and naopon repped this.
  15. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont think Everton are the right team. They are going to be looking for more goals from the central midfield. Wes is clearly good in the air and on set pieces but he hasn’t done much in the run of play.

16. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's found money if your central mids can pitch in the odd goal during the season, but relying on them for goal production is like the very definition of inefficient tactics. You gotta point the fingers at the attackers (and the decision makers who signed them).

Deeneaus repped this.
  17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Maybe?!?!

In the end, it's always coming down to wages! ;)

LouisianaViking07/09 and russ repped this.
  18. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Why would a head of state need to launder money? Who is auditing him?

19. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's more reputation laundering and portfolio diversification (and perhaps a healthy bit of MbS's vanity). Marcotti had a good overview on this.

The reports around Wes are getting stronger - now they say that he would prefer to leave for a club with higher short-term ambitions (Hertha, Wolfsburg) than Schalke.
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...-weston-mckennie-open-to-schalke-exit-sources
    https://www.sport1.de/transfermarkt/2020/07/fc-schalke-04-hertha-bsc-heiss-auf-weston-mckennie

eliwood and Deeneaus repped this.
  20. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    They have played much better soccer this year compared to previous years. The last few times I watched them I didn't want to die. That is improvement.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    @TheHoustonHoyaFan - you’re the club fan - still think there’s nothing but smoke?

thanks

22. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Schalke midfielder Weston McKennie is keen on a move to the Premier League this summer.

The United States international is a close friend of Chelsea forward Christian Pulisic and wants to follow him to England, according to Sky in Germany.

Schalke are in serious financial trouble and appear not to be in a position to reject advances for even their most highly prized players.

FROM SKYSPORTS

23. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I am saying is they have stated they want more offensive production from that position. You can make generalization but I am talking about them specifically

24. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    is it crazy to think i would rather have mckennie than kovacic

25. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I feel like Kovacic has been riding a huoe train for a few years that he has not been able to live up to.

As for Wes? He just has to be smart with where he decides where to go. I dont think Everton under Ancelloti is a bad move especially since Everton has been showing ambitions on improving (and have started to develop some young talent) but without looking it would likely be a rotation.

I'm wary of Newcastle. Taking all political things out of them getting Saudi money, but a lot of teams that get an influx of cash flow try to spend big and that usually fails. Not every team is going to be PSG and Man City with getting more money. And I get the feeling the same would happen to Newcastle.

I wonder if Sheffield United may be one of the interested teams. They are currently in a Europa spot so thats more competition.

Southampton makes sense with their coach having Bundesliga familiarity

Hell maybe I can dream and say Wolves