Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Apparently the coach is in the same minority. Me too. Doesn't mean he should be a lock starter on MNT though.

frankburgers and markandrew78 repped this.
  2. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Disagree. He had a decent game. Yes he had a couple of heavy touches in midfield, but really he was fine defensively (notably playing a good angle and forcing a more difficult shot with a well-timed slide against... Werner? who was in close). He also was inches off on the ball to unlock Raman. The defender had to play it perfectly to touch it away. It wasn't his best game, but it was solid. He was playing a little injured, as well. Now Nubel had a poor performance. He should never start for Schalke again.

3. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I didn't see today's game, but I agree with this general assessment. I think we collectively might have over-hyped him, because he broke in with Schalke so young and around the same time as Pulisic. But I think it's becoming clear that he's not in the same class as Pulisic and Adams (and maybe Reyna and Dest). However, being an effective starter for a team like Schalke (mid-table in a top 4 league, qualifies for Europe in good years) is very good by USMNT historic standards.

I think, though, too, as we've discussed before with regard to similarities between his game and a young Bradley's, he might pick up an extra level of sophistication to his play if he goes to a different team/league. He ain't gonna get that if he stays at Schalke.

4. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    McSpud has regressed. He can't find his feet. He can't defend. Thoughtless passing.

Having said that, RedDrool Leipzig scored 1 while he was on the pitch and went crazy down the right side to score 4 more.

As bad as he is, Schalke04 are even worse.

As I said a year ago, they should have fired 9 players and kept the coach...instead they did the opposite and are pretty much terrible. Wagner is a good coach, but wth? nobody can make this team play football.

5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I think he is a good defensive player. He seems like a natural fullback or a defensive midfielder.

6. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Name calling. Exaggerating. Insulting. Wrong. Whoever had you as their starting Troll on their fantasy team this weekend really banked the points.

Phives, ChicagoVT, gunnerfan7 and 7 others repped this.
  7. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Always a solid bet on that poster.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  8. DeCoverley

DeCoverley Member

Aug 9, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Playing right midfield vs Koln. Down 1-0 after 20 minutes. Just turned it on.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McKennie played well today. He was disruptive and distributed well. I only watch the first 20 and last 20 minutes (fell asleep haha). Not so fun to watch schalke but McKennie is a bright spot on the team. His role looked pretty free form. Sometimes back, sometimes center, sometimes right but in general a more defensive to mid position.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    I just wish he liked the ball. He never seems to want it in tight spaces. Compare him and Gio or Pulisic, both Gio/Pulisic show and demand the ball. Weston seems generally uninterested in picking up the ball in tight spaces. With his skill set 6/8 he’s got to pick up the ball in those spaces give his back four and out. Very frustrating and I think that is a bit of a bar to his progression. There were quite a few times when he lost the ball trying to one touch pass when the space would have allowed him to turn and carry the call up the field which he is very good at.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. DeCoverley

DeCoverley Member

Aug 9, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    AC Milan
  13. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    They went from 14th to 6th in the table. Evidence is your friend. I understand they're failing your eye test, but I think they failed it as badly or worse last year.

14. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    weston playing on the right of midfield with everyone favorite mls alum marauding down the left for bayern. a great opportunity for a statement match for weston.

15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Extortion.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Great play by Weston, but Burgstaller's shot hit the bar. NEarly an assist

18. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    kimmich half volley from the 18 to put bayern up. weston maybe couldve blocked it if he were more cat like in his reflexes but asking a lot of a mortal

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Considering Boateng (illness), Coman (muscle pulled) and Lewa (shin) are out, Bayern are playing with their best available players today.

20. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Weston has been really good today against Bayern. He needs a better team and teammate. He has created a number of opportunities that have been squandered

mace repped this.
  21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    IMHO, Bayern are half-arsing this.

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Cray. Barcelona has been calling and calling but nobody will pick up the phone at Schalke.

23. Duncan Edwards i miss u

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just come co United. We have opening.

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    SB Nation review

Bayern ended the game with having 73% possession, a statistic that has become the norm under Hansi Flick. Today, the high defensive line established by Kimmich and Alaba was incredibly high. Yes, Schalke played extremely defensive throughout the entire game, yet for large parts of the game both sets of players, apart from Manuel Neuer, were on Schalke’s part of the pitch. The last time I’ve seen such a one-sided division of play was when Pep Guardiola was on the Bayern sidelines.

I didnt see the match but noticed Serdar still not back. I don't think they win til he's back in central mid.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Yeah so I think Bayern is superb but the 73% possession seemed more due to tactics than flat out domination. Schalke chief principal this game was to not loose shape or compactness at all times it was 10 men behind the ball.

Many times Schalke didn’t even try it keep possession just kicked it to Bayern and retreated into a compact formation. Looks like they were trying to copy RBLs tactical plan v Bayern from a couple weeks ago.

Basically compact defensive shape above all else until the 60th minute then open up and go for it but for Schalke that was around the 70th minute mark.

Bayern would have had the edge regardless but not that pronounced.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.