The Liberal Emigration Thread

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by Smiley321, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    A couple of early ones in the 'woe is me' sweepstakes:

Lastort
    "My wife and I were having a conversation this morning about the results. She said she understands what it must've been like for a Germans to leave their country circa 1934. They loved their country but left because they saw what was happening.

We both feel the same way. We love the USA. But we're not sure we want to live here anymore."

JeffS
    "I echo Mike's sentiments. I also believe that a neocon led America is sending us into an Orwellian society.

I don't know whether to fight, or pack up and leave."

Now is the time to keep the pressure on and help them make the right decision - which country they should move to.

2. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH

<GLOAT>
    That depends. If they're skilled, send em to Canada where NAFTA will at least make it easier for American companies to purchase the ones they work for. Then we still get the benefit of their skills and get to create more management positions here.

And then they get to deal with separatists.

If not...does it really matter?
    </GLOAT>

3. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
  4. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    I just started a thread over there that is sure to get me lots of negative rep and/or binned.

you want to know what else is great? Daschle is done too. Now this would be the greatest election ever if all those people really DO move.

I feel better today than when Reagan won in '88 7000 to 1.

And the reality is, if you put someone in the basement in 2000 and took them out in 2004 and asked them to walk around for a couple of days and guess who was President: Al Gore or GW Bush - they wouldn't be able to tell. Yet they act like the Country is on fire, everyone is homeless, guns are being traded by children on the black market and that world war 3 has broken out.

So let them move. It's comical to me.

5. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Damn Ted, looks like I just got moved to Canana. Then again, so did you.

6. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    I don't want people who are that fed up to move there.

I want them to become Canadian citizens and renounce their citizenship.

If you believe in the process, you take your lumps when you get them and get back up and work harder in support of your beliefs. You don't cry and run away.

I took my lumps from 1/1993 to 1/2000. I'm still here. Somehow defense spending did not get cut and my family still had jobs which allowed me to attend college in a much more comfortable fashion than if they didn't. I didn't leave when I figured they'd be out of a job in 12 months.

7. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    FulhamRev
    "The pundits are saying the results hinged upon "values". The American people showed clearly what American values are:

blah blah blah

Those are the values of America. But those are sure as hell not MY values. I'm outta this place."

Thank you dubya.

8. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Imposter
    "I think I might finally claim the Italian citizenship to which I'm entitled and move somewhere. I'm not kidding at all.

I love this country, but I'm embarassed to be American today."

9. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    gofire2001
    "Is anyone else considering getting passports? Me and a few friends talked about it today and I think we might get them tommorow. A draft sounds like a real possibility now. I would fight and die for this country if it was necessary but I am not going to give up my life for a ********ing idiot like Bush. Man I am in a pissed off mood. Maybe I will feel different tommorow."

One follow-up pointed out that a passport doesn't enable you to live in another country, but these are geniuses who would be wanted by any country, right?

10. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, there WILL be a draft. Probably tomorrow, in fact. Better get out NOW. Today.

I hear GWB woke up this moring, rang up Rummy and the neocons down at the Pentagon and said "Alright, now that we've conned these idiots into re-electing me, let's start drafting their asses into the army. These kids wanna "Rock the Vote" do they? Let's see them "Rock the Sadr Militia" by the end of the year. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

It's true. Better get out before it's too late. It's Nazi Germany all over again. Best hit the road before they close the borders and open up the camps.

11. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing that really pisses me off about the draft thing is that Kerry had been pushing for “national volunteer service†or something like that.

12. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Foosinho is considering it, so we owe it to him to help him decide correctly

"Right now, if I were eligible I would get an Irish passport (my great-grandparents were the ones to immigrate to the US, unfortunately). Ottawa really does look like a good place to live to me. The reality of the situation is that I have a family, and my wife is already homesick and we only live 90 miles from her hometown. The odds of her agreeing to a move to Canada or points east is very very slim, regardless of how much I may desire it. I may not have a choice but to stay and fight the losing fight."

although torturing him with constant losing fights holds some appeal, there may be enough wins to stop the agony, so I say we help him leave

13. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    Foos must really be losing it then. I've always known him to be sensible about things.

Then again, I think a lot of sensible people are losing it. But hey...I wouldn't move to Ottawa anyway. I'd move to Kitchner/Waterloo area, that's the technology hub, and he's a computer geek. I hear RIM's hiring up there (I have a Canadian trainer this week from that area)

14. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Gack! Mel Brennan talks of coming back!

"I'm going to get this PhD, then, oddly, I'm going to get a Masters in International Human Rights law from Oxford (it's half distance learning, cool program). After that, we'll see about coming back to the States. If I do come back, it'll be to get a law degree and get into statesmanship."

Well, that'll take ten years anyway, before he might come back.

This is twilight zone stuff - a guy who purports to be a professional student who can barely compose a readable sentence. Maybe we can help him get a scholarship at the Sorbonne or something.

15. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Not going to Canada. We'll probably start with Ireland, then eventually make our way to the continent. Italy, Germany, maybe France.

It would be nice to drive to WC '06 games instead of having to fly over there.

But hey, thanks for caring, guys. :)

16. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000

did you see that Topper and I are starting a relocation service? As a pro at reocating disempowered liberals I must say that Ireland is not the answer for you. In fact Bush had more support in Ireland than he did in the rest of the UK combined and many people there are still opposed to abortion.

Italy has a right wing government now and thier president owns the team AC Milan. Jaques Chirac is also a right wing kind of guy so I am not sure those are viable options for you either.

However we do have some nice specials on Lebanon, Qatar and the UAE. PM me if interested.

edit: instead of saying the rest of the UK, I should have said the UK. sorry.

17. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Actually, I missed the relocation service. Do you also help with job placement?

As for Ireland, I don't really care if most people are opposed to it there. We're not planning to have one if we move there. It also used to be illegal to get a divorce in Ireland, but it's legal now, now that we care because that's something else we won't need.

Saying Italy has a right wing government is assuming that the direction of their government follows Berlusconi the same way the American government follows the president. It's not like that there. The Italian Parliament runs things a lot more than the prime minister does.

We have no interest in places like the UAE, Qatar or Lebanon. We want to go somewhere in the EU.

18. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    mike

Italy is pretty conservative on many issues, many there are hard core catholics. I can get you there but If I am going to convince the Romans thee to accept you I will need a few extra euro's and a small knife. We never had this discussion by the way.

19. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I know Italy is Catholic, but it's not exactly hard core. A lot of Italians don't go to church except for Christmas and Easter, and most Italian families don't have more than one kid. They're obviously using birth control, which isn't exactly somethign the Pope approves of.

I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to get to Rome on my own though, but this small knife thing sounds intriguing.

20. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, Mike, you aren't going anywhere. You know it, I know it, everu=yone knows it.

This sour grapes "boo hoo, my candidate lost so I'm gonna pick up my ball and go home" crap is childish and embarassing.

What abunch of whining and self pity. Unbelieveable. Is this what you think elections are like? Eisenhower beats Stevenson so the left moves to Botswana? Johnson beats Goldwater so the right stomps off to Thailand?

What utter nonsense. Why don't you try to come up with a non-absurd political program that appeals to someone with a functional brain? Wouldn't that make more sense?

But in the meantime, your emigration threats are just embarasssing. Are you also going to hold your breath until you turn blue?

21. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike,

I am in France until Sunday and will be leaving Geneva on Monday. So if you need a ride from the airport, let me know.

22. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Bill,

We are certainly going to get our Irish passports - my wife is already an Irish citizen, and I can attain dual citizenship within about six months due to the simple fact that we've been married more than five years.

This isn't just a matter of holding our breath until our faces turn blue. I really do think that the US Consitution is being shredded by the Bush administration, and that the Republican power base wants to roll back the clock on many issues that we personally don't agree with.

We go to Europe almost every year on vacation, and we've discussed how we could live there and work there legally on many occassions. We didn't actually find out until Wednesday that we already did have a right to work in the EU, so we're going to take advantage of that. As far as I'm concerned, we'd be nuts not too.

And if the worst-case scenario does happen we have a perfectly legal way to get the hell out of Dodge. I'll fight the power as much as I can, but I'm not going to fight it when I see that it's a lost cause.

YMMV.

23. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    That's too soon. We don't have our Irish passports yet.

24. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike, might I suggest looking into Italian passports. I looked into one several years ago when I applied for a job in Zurich to ease the work permit process.

As for the Constitution, the Patriot Act for all the complaints merely closes some loopholes in the Clinton Era “effective Death Penalty Actmâ€. When Michael Moore is working in a Haliburton petroleum mine, then we will talk.

Anthony

PS-look into Chamoniux in France (where I am right now). It is very beautiful. Allez le W!

25. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    When I lived in Germany, I went to Chamonix with some Air Force buddies once to do some skiing over Christmas. Incredibly beautiful.

I'd like to try for Italian passports, but it might be tougher since it was my great-grandparents who were born there. If it was my grandparents, I think it would be easier.