The "Let's All Laugh at aust!n" Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by jack sticker, Jan 14, 2019.

1. CBusAlex

CBusAlex Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "There are only, like, 40 soccer players, tops, and we've already signed 12 of them. We're gonna dominate!"
    - Josh Wolff, probably

TyphonInc and CybrSlydr repped this.
  2. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know im not popular when I praise anything about the team, but I think they can be good. Hoesen up top isnt good enough but theyre gonna test drive him to find out. I think that line of Redes, Pochettino, Dominguez can be a big deal plus Ring behind them. Its obviously unproven but I dont scoff at that. I think theyre defense is super questionable. Lima is the only decent known entity. Romana may be good but is an unknown, Besler was good but is past it, and Sweat is subpar. Im assuming out the gate Tarbell is GK and we know he is good, not great.

I dont think theyre probably playoff contenders but like ive said before, im not expecting Cincinnati or early Minnesota levels of ineptitude either.

3. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there is a lot to like about Austin (growing city, solid fan base..for now, have a stadium) on the field I am not optimistic.

1. Their foreign signings of Pochettino, Dominguez and Redes to me are all types of players that would have been brought in a few years ago in terms of the quality The level of players now being brought into the league has gone way up, especially in attack. I don't see a lot of creating potential out of this group or true finishers. Hoesen has only once scored more than 5 goals in his MLS career.
    2. Josh Wolff is a rookie head coach and how often have they been successful right out of the gate? Coaching and tactics matter and I think there is a learning curve with any new coach that will cost them points. Maybe he will be really good but surely he will take his lumps as he learns.
    3. Claudio Reyna did not prove at NYCFC that he was a good evaluator of talent despite having literally the most robust and detailed scouting network to utilize. Can he prove that he needed to get away from that system to really own the process of evaluating and bringing in talent? If this burns up for him then his GM prospects in the future look bleak
    4. That defense looks subpar and will have issues dealing with any level of speed in the attack.

I don't think they will set a record for the fewest points or for the fewest goals scored but it's going to be a tough year.

TyphonInc and Tobias C repped this.
  4. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They really wanted the Crew to move there instead of getting an expansion team.

Well, they're pretty much getting the Precourt-era Crew.

russ, TKyle, YITBOS and 3 others repped this.
  5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look at their roster for guys who could make the starting lineup in Columbus and I don't see much.

Nick Lima is very good, and Alex Ring is first class as well. They'd better be because Reyna paid through the nose for them. Absolute extortion.

Lima obviously could challenge for a fullback spot and while you have to love Ring he'd need to knock out either Nagbe, Zelarayan or Mensah depending on how they want to use him, and there's no way.

The foreign guys - meh. It looks a lot like Reyna bought a bill of goods. Besler is done. Tarbell had to leave Columbus because he couldn't beat out our guy.

Bottom line, everybody on their team, with one or two exceptions, would be coming in to challenge for a job as a backup.

russ and Tobias C repped this.
  6. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't have to, but they do. Why not take the tax write and cover those imaginary admin fees?

Anyone recall those charity debacles for Hurricane Katrina? To be a charity you only need to give .50 cents on the dollar, but you take your 50, then give the rest to another charity, they take their .50 and pass it along. I remember reading only .11 cents on the dollar donated actually made to those in need on the Gulf.

I don't donate to anyone without doing extensive research on how they are actually using the money I give.

A quick Google search shows nothing on how 4ATX is run. I can't give to that, even in the name of soccer.
    https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/834164008

7. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odds Wolff gets canned in year 1 and Reyna steps in on sidelines?

8. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say very low, even if they perform poorly.

9. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could totally envision a FCKY scenario of revolving door at Coach & GM. I actually am hoping and praying for just that. Nothing against Wolff or Reyna. I just want it to be a complete cluster F down there until such time as Trustfund Tony and Chest Hair Loughne are GONE!

TyphonInc and CybrSlydr repped this.
  10. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look at their roster and see results like the Crew had in 2019. And why not? They've got fans (they say) and why spend on a quality roster when you can just pick up guys who got some play time elsewhere with a coach they already know. It's ambitious, I know, but it seems to be their current approach. I expect this team to miss the playoffs and challenge for the Wooden Spoon, which is an appropriate award for the ownership of this team.

TyphonInc, catfish9 and WhiteHartShame repped this.
  11. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5011 Smithsoccer1721, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Someone can throw this in my face but they will finish in 2nd to last place in the Western Conference.

12. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well played.

MLSinSTL and TyphonInc repped this.
  13. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WhiteHartShame repped this.
  14. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well played! Ya didn't lie.

YITBOS and SLSHOT01 repped this.
  15. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been having a ball tagging Austin FC on Twitters pointing out Crew quit sending their reserves to the Aztex and ended that relationship after that flood - apparently they didn't get the memo.

MLSinCleveland and Bill Archer repped this.
  16. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Bold pokes them constantly. I love the bet. I had to tell them to be careful cuz Precourt likes to stiff fans with the bar bill.

Austin Bold FC challenges @AustinFC to a pre-season match! All ticket proceeds will go to Health Alliance for Austin Musicians (HAAM) and Central Texas Food Bank. https://t.co/bAdprj0Fpu

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish Kinsley had done that back in '96....

18. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't start. He's still pissed that Lamar stiffed him for a dinner tab.

west ham sandwich repped this.
  19. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austin FC will meet Concacaf Champions League finalist LAFC at Banc of California Stadium on April 17

[​IMG]

20. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are literally going to get murdered on national TV. It will be AWESOME!!!!!

Pauncho, LainfordExpress and Crew96Fan repped this.
  21. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, I honestly don't watch too much non-Crew MLS. But I'll have the beer and popcorn ready for this one.

Wait, isn't LAFC one of Austin's self-proclaimed "rivalry" clubs? Because of Will Ferrell, or something?

MLSinCleveland and russ repped this.
  22. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they stole our rival and are hosting SJ for their home opener. The saying is true I guess...

All my exes, live in Texas

23. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also:

Week 10
    Saturday, June 19
    Austin v. San Jose 9:00 pm UniMas/Twitter

They finally play in their new stadium Week 10, against pretty decent SJ team.

And with not much love on the national TV front.

russ repped this.
  24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Twitter is exactly what the Hipster Six crave. Just like LAFC always get a ton of games on Fox and FS1, Twitter makes perfect sense for Austin hipsters.

25. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't Snapchat or TikTok make more sense than Twitter, if we're stereotyping hipsters? Twitter is pretty mainstream these days.

MLSinCleveland repped this.