The "Let's All Laugh at aust!n" Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by jack sticker, Jan 14, 2019.

1. AustinSoccerBro

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Dec 2, 2018
    As mentioned before, the money is going from 4ATX to the Austin Area Urban League disaster fund, which was one of the first ones set up when the storm hit.

2. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not just give to the Urban League disaster fund? I’m sure 4ATX will take by their administration fee and pass along the rest.

Your owner is a scam artist.

TyphonInc, Big J 0526, catfish9 and 7 others repped this.
  3. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF, a terrible, life threatening disaster is taking place. Your idiotic ownership group looks like total morons by keeping their shiny new stadium lights on, while residents in their city are in misery without electric and water. Then they rightly get smacked with the bad pr they deserve. They try to turn it into a positive pr story by raising money for disaster relief, but can't help themselves, and go for a money grab at the same time. You bet your sweet little hipster life that they probably take their standard admin./processing fee from each dollar that is given. These fees are unrestricted, and they can use them as they wish. Please give the money directly to the service organizations that are actually doing the work to help people. Do not facilitate a pr/money grab scam charading as charity work.

catfish9, RafaLarios, CybrSlydr and 2 others repped this.
  4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Even if they don't skim a penny from donations, it's still dumb to reroute the money to charity via a soccer team. The whole thing only makes sense as a PR distraction from the flak for keeping the lights on during blackouts. For that they deserve all the contempt they're receiving.

catfish9, russ and Bill Archer repped this.
  5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing we do know for sure is that the "foundation" is a contractual obligation that the team made with the city of Austin as part of the deal: Austin FC would donate money to local causes.

Someone please, please, please bet me that whatever money people give them for this scam which they then pass on to some legitimate agency won't get prominently featured when it's time to show the city that they've been living up to the deal.

These people were grifters and frauds in Columbus and they didn't change just because they switched towns.

TyphonInc and catfish9 repped this.
  6. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So OK, somebody explain this to me:

Two chins McDaddysmoney Tweeted that "like so many" he was without power, apparently claiming that he's actually in Austin.

So he says he had to go out to his car to charge his phone. OK, been there.

Then he claims he whiled away the evening (while very cold) watching "the first episodes" of Take me home Leeds United".

How did he watch those "episodes" if had "no power"? Is he claiming that he then sat in his car watching reruns on his dying phone? If he was in his car why was he cold? Doesn't his car have a heater? If he was in his purported home then what was he using for electricity?

And.finally: this is a man who owned a professional soccer.club for six years and during that time attended half a dozen games at best, including one he tried to skip but the commissioner ordered him to go.

A man who admitted that until he bought the Crew he had never even watched a soccer game on TV.

Yet in a weather crisis, with no power, no water, no hot food and sub-zero temperatures he huddled in his car and watched a multi episode history of Leeds F*cking United?

Come on. What a joke. What a lying sack of crap.

7. AustinSoccerBro

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Dec 2, 2018
    Ok, all I said was that the money is going to AAUL, which has raised $1.2 million from a wide range of donations.

8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness, he said he used his car to charge the phone--not that he sat in it all watching the show.....

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no way he bought a place in Texas. He probably turned his lights off in California...using a "team of electricians" of course.

"How many hipsters does it take to turn off a fvcking lightbulb" as @Ch(Elsey) might say.

Robbo Crewfan, TyphonInc and catfish9 repped this.
  10. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree that it seems unlikely.

But if he didn't have power in his home then where did he go to watch tv?

11. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he can't be using his home network because that's on a router.
    So is he admitting using wireless bandwidth that might be needed by first responders?

catfish9 and Bill Archer repped this.
  12. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t remember this.
    Was it the home playoff game in 2017 against NYCFC? Or the TFC playoff game?
    I do remember fans giving him sh!t from Section 120 while he sat in the VIP deck looking like a doofus.

13. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There's a lot of people who should see this, but they won't because someone wrote a "Somethings are bigger than sports" letter.

14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the phone, in the house, like a lot of folks do these days. I don't get it, myself, as I never saw a phone as a media center, but I'm not a Gen Z type.

15. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They won't have to skim. It's a tax write off. People donate money to a corporation for some cause, corporation turns around and donates that money and writes it off as its own contribution. Same thing happens when they ask you to add a dollar or round up at the drive through.

16. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    That's the reason I usually don't do the "donate a dollar" or "round up" thing. I donate directly to whichever charity the money goes to.

kgilbert78 and russ repped this.
  17. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is all true. Although, since the money is being donated to Prebort's 4ATX non-profit foundation, some additional rules/options probably apply, assuming it's a 501c3.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  18. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another TX pro sports team with a PR problem, The Houston Texans, just made a donation of $500 large to the Greater Houston/Harris County Relief Fund.

so while dipshit and dipshit jr brag about all the good they’re doing by donating $30,000 of OTHER people’s money (less their own administrative fee of course), real sport team owners the McNairs are donating close to 20 times that amount.
    These guys are incompetent with every breath. And it’s a good thing that actual breathing is an instinctive reflex or they’d eff that up too!!

Kryptonite, Minnman and WhiteHartShame repped this.
  19. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Didn’t the Haslams donate like $1.5M last year when Covid hit? I’ll be impressed when Precourt opens his own wallet. Unfortunately, as we all know, it’s empty.

20. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh?

21. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4996 Kryptonite, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    The mindset of "BigSoccer Crew vs Others."

https://www.facebook.com/214781998548459/posts/4423439094349374/

If people want to give their money, well, it's their money and they're free to do with it as they wish. After reading these last few pages, there's definitely better ways to support.

This side of the story is definitely worth getting out, however.

catfish9 repped this.
  22. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luis Argudo is in preseason camp with Austin now. Not signed, probably just trialing.

Austin picking up even more Columbus leftovers because their familiar to Josh.

Pauncho and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  23. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    I think Josh is just bad at learning new names and faces.

russ, Bill Archer, Tobias C and 2 others repped this.
  24. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm an Austin fan, I'd be really really concerned that our team may be made up of 50%+ of another teams' bench players/castoffs. What will be interesting is to see if they are then paying them more than their previous teams as well.

TyphonInc and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  25. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are really counting on their foreign signings to provide the spark. Just my opinion, I don't see game changers there.

crew2112 repped this.