The latest on MLS and ROchester

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by nyrmetros, May 20, 2004.

1. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
  2. gherter

gherter Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Given the trouble MLS is having getting SSS, I seriously doubt Rochester will be left out in 2006, when they are sure to have their new stadium. I think the league wants to bump up the percentage of teams that have them as soon as possible. The fact that, as a soccer town, Rochester can probably fill it fairly often, at least at the 17K size, is a bonus.

3. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
  4. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess thats good news. I wonder what its going to look like. My quess, something similar to the Crew Stadium, except smaller.

5. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    In my opinion, Rochester is a lousy 2005 expansion candidate but would be great 2006 or later. That way there would be a progression--open the new stadium one year and join MLS the next. Trying to do too many things at once is a recipe for disaster. As it is, whoever gets the 2nd 2005 expansion slot is gonna have to get a lot of things done in a big hurry. And that's without also building a stadium on an incredibly tight deadline.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's what they're thinking. In fact, they said it's unlikely for 2005 (and that was before the latest stadium drama) but more possible for 2006.

7. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    How's this for a likely scenario--MLS, as reported, expands to Chivas LA and Salt Lake City in 2005. That would pretty much make Rochester and Seattle locks for 2006. All the other cities like San Antonio, Houston, and Philadelphia would have to wait a few years.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Works for me. That's 14 teams in 2006, then you only need two more by end of decade.

9. cpevans31

cpevans31 New Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Huntersville, NC

That's how i think it should happen. When all is said and done the league alignment could look like this:
    East:
    Metrostars
    NE Revolution
    DC United
    Philadelphia ???

Central:
    Chicago Fire
    Columbas Crew
    Rochester Rhinos
    Kansas City Wizards

Midwest:
    FC Dallas
    Colorado Rapids
    Salt Lake City Saints
    Houston ???

West:
    LA Galaxy
    Chivas USA
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Seattle ???

Go to a 36 game schedule and play divsion oppenents twice at home and twice away and all other teams once at home and once away. All 4 division winners then make playoffs in a home/away series then winners meet for MLS Cup

10. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think less is more. Keep the two division lineup and take the top 4 or 6 teams for a league cup playoffs.

11. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally agree. Keep two divisions and make the playoffs harder to get into by keeping them at 8 teams. If anything go to one table and drop the playoffs.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the last time: The playoffs aren't going away. Get over it.

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, quit harshin' on single-table. If there's one thing that this league NEEDS, it's for 80% of its teams to be playing meaningless games for the last month of the season.

14. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This blurb was on a just posted article on mlsnet:
    http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20040714&content_id=8211&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

"The league's aggressive expansion campaign is scheduled to bring the number of teams in the league to 14 at the start of the 2006 season, with Seattle, Cleveland, San Antonio, Houston, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Portland, Phoenix and Minneapolis all cited as potential homes. Garber has stated that the league's plan is to have 16 to 20 teams by 2010."

I hope theres nothing to the fact that Rochester wasn't on this list. I'm pulling for you guys up there.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've openly talked about Rochester before, so I don't know why they wouldn't mention it now. Unless the stadium is the big hangup. Because as of this moment, I think it's still a little bit up in the air, isn't it?

16. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems to me like there is a possibility that DuRoss is not willing to shell out the expansion fee. Perhaps he feels that since he's got an SSS he shouldn't have to pay. On top of that, he's making money with the Rhinos, and maybe doesn't have enough to lose with MLS. If thats the case, things might get ugly if MLS tries to move a team to Rochester.

17. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trey Fitz-Gerald's pressrelease, whic Kenn posted elsewhere says...

...so the omission of Rochester is not something to get alarmed about. Of course this is BigSoccer, so I've just wasted my breath.

Interesting about Phoenix, as I don't recall any specific rumors about there (could just be throwing the name out to make the list look more impressive), and I suppose I owe Jamie Trecker an apology for saying he pulled Atlanta out of his ass.

18. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How could AEG move the Earthquakes to Rochester without DuRoss being involved? The Rhinos are the ones with the deal with the local authorities for a stadium. Could Uncle Phil really come blowing into town and make that go away? Would he just say "screw you guys, I'm going to build my own stadium and compete with PaeTec Park"? If he was willing to do that, why wouldn't he just do that in San Jose. There is no MLS team moving to Rochester unless Frank DuRoss buys one and then merges it with the Rhinos.

19. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it is in the air. The latest hangup has been that the Rhinos are going to shell out an extra $1.5mil to cover extra costs because they can't put the main bowl as low as they had originally hoped.

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad. I thought the water table thing was the latest hang-up, and that construction had been halted. But I haven't checked up on it lately.

21. ockk

ockk Member

Jun 1, 2003
    raymore
    the reason playoofs will not go away is plain and simple

...............MONEY..............
    and the owners love it

22. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    One table? Sure that could work. However, you're certifiable if you think that there is any hope that any major professional American sports league is going to eliminate a championship playoff following its regular season... MLS included.

Playoffs are a tradition within the structure of modern American professional sports. More importantly, they're an added source of revenue. The MLS Playoffs are here to stay.

Period.

Brian in Boston

23. nsamsarmy

nsamsarmy New Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    You're right. There should be a tournament after the league is finished. It's called the US Open Cup.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because you wouldn't want to have both, would you?

25. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Unfortunately for those who are obsessed with the Euro-traditional soccer model, the "tournament" after the MLS "league is finished" is called the MLS Playoffs. That's not changing.

American soccer's US Open Cup is what it is: an all-inclusive club soccer tournament that MLS officials are supportively tolerant of. It is an added bonus for fans of the game in the United States. However, the average American sports fan is not going to recognize the winner of the US Open Cup as the champion of professional soccer in this country. He or she is going to reserve that designation for the MLS Cup championship squad.

Brian in Boston